X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Jet Parallel Clamp Sale at Rockler

Sale at Rockler. 50% off Parallel clamp sale.

Almost as good as when they had 2 for $50 for the 50"

On a side note, anyone try their new bench cookies? Looks interesting but was wondering if it would make the wood tippy if you were hand routing. Good price too.
    Last edited by jussi; 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • fixedpigs
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2007

Is that in-store only?

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Hmm that's a good question. I'm not really sure. It was from an email I got from them today. I probably should have checked before posting. I know Rockler does often do in-store only sales. Sale doesn't start till Saturday (8/29) so I guess we'll know for sure then.

Comment

• Stormbringer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Floral Park, NY
        • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by fixedpigs
        Is that in-store only?
        In Store Only. Found it in the fine print at the bottom of each page.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If that's the case then once again Rockler is thumbing their noses at every customer that doesn't live near one of their stores. What is the purpose of sending emails to people who don't live within a respectable driving distance of the zip codes of their stores? Do they really think I'm going to drive 175 miles to shop at their store?

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by sweensdv
            Do they really think I'm going to drive 175 miles to shop at their store?
            You don't think that they care do you (rhetorical question - I know our answer). This way they have far fewer units to place 'on sale' but they can advertise that they carry them. Well, I don't believe that either but I've got nothin' . Like you, I have no Rocklers within a day's drive and the closest Woodcraft is bit over an hour. The bright side there is that Woodcraft and Harbor Freight parking lots back each other.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• MilDoc

Personally, I LOVE those clamps! Have a few features that beat the Besseys and others. I have 10, purchased on sale at Amazon. Wish I had more.

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Do they really think I'm going to drive 175 miles to shop at their store?
                Based on their customer base, it's reasonable to expect that - many of the customers of the store that is local to me drive up to 200 miles to shop there, particularly when there is a good sale.

When they sold the JT-360, first guy in line drove more than 300 miles and camped out for a day. Next two came from around 200 miles away.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by woodturner
                  Based on their customer base, it's reasonable to expect that - many of the customers of the store that is local to me drive up to 200 miles to shop there, particularly when there is a good sale.

When they sold the JT-360, first guy in line drove more than 300 miles and camped out for a day. Next two came from around 200 miles away.
                  Individual circumstances could make it reasonable for someone to drive 200-300 miles to buy something, I'll give you that. On the other hand, I have never seen any kind of a sale at Rockler's that would make it attractive financially for most to go to that extreme.

The point I was making was really not about travel distance as it was about the fact that, as a mail order Rockler customer, they are really alienating me by offering these sale prices only to B&M customers. What makes the B&M customers more worthy of these reduced prices than I? Makes me want to not give them any of my future business.

It probably wouldn't be a big deal if the B&M Rockler stores were franchised operations but IIRC the stores are all corporate owned. To me, that makes this type of preferential treatment unacceptable.

Comment

• Brian G
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                    • G0899

That darn Rockler never offers to pay for my gas when I go to the store to buy something I could have purchased online and gotten free shipping.

What's with that, anyway?

Brian

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

So the bench cookies... I'm thinking I can do that with some square (Why do they need to be round?) wooden blocks and cover the tops and bottoms with rubber non-skid padding.

If I read it right, they just provide a way to make your workpiece not slide when on the bench and raise it up a bit so you can work on the sides. Like for routing and finishing.

Are they real heavy or just wood density?

I think 3.25x3.25" x1.5" with rounded corners (e.g. some pieces from a 2x4) and a roundover treatment on the top and bottom would do the job?
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-29-2009, 02:08 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        So the bench cookies... I'm thinking I can do that with some square (Why do they need to be round?) wooden blocks and cover the tops and bottoms with rubber non-skid padding.

If I read it right, they just provide a way to make your workpiece not slide when on the bench and raise it up a bit so you can work on the sides. Like for routing and finishing.

Are they real heavy or just wood density?

I think 3.25x3.25" x1.5" with rounded corners (e.g. some pieces from a 2x4) and a roundover treatment on the top and bottom would do the job?

Yah that's what I understand their purpose to be. Here's a video on them in use.
                        http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

I'm not sure it's worth the time or money to make them yourself since they're only $12 for a set. I'm going to check them out today or tomorrow.

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Individual circumstances could make it reasonable for someone to drive 200-300 miles to buy something, I'll give you that. On the other hand, I have never seen any kind of a sale at Rockler's that would make it attractive financially for most to go to that extreme.

The point I was making was really not about travel distance as it was about the fact that, as a mail order Rockler customer, they are really alienating me by offering these sale prices only to B&M customers. What makes the B&M customers more worthy of these reduced prices than I? Makes me want to not give them any of my future business.

It probably wouldn't be a big deal if the B&M Rockler stores were franchised operations but IIRC the stores are all corporate owned. To me, that makes this type of preferential treatment unacceptable.
                          Have you let the folks at Rockler know your thoughts? Might be interesting to see if you get an answer and what it would be.
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by BobSch
                            Have you let the folks at Rockler know your thoughts? Might be interesting to see if you get an answer and what it would be.
                            I truly doubt if calling them would do any good and I usually try and make it a habit to not wizz into the wind. They should, and I emphasize should, be smart enough to realize that this is not a very good practice but being this is not the first time they have pulled this well....................

Comment

• Brian G
                              • Jun 2003
                              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                              • G0899

Perhaps it's a reward for us B&M customers that don't while away the day looking for great bargains on internet forums, and who also buy more merchandise at regular prices with each trip to the store than do those that are looking for a hot deal and free shipping, too.

I'm trying to be respectful, but the amount of crabbing in this forum about Rockler and how they do business when one of these emails or special coupons comes up is ridiculous. Woodcraft does the same thing. So do other chains around the country.

I'm not affiliated in any way with Rockler.
                              Last edited by Brian G; 08-29-2009, 10:27 PM.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...