• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

HF Coupon/Sales Question

I received the latest HF flyer, and it has a coupon for the belt/disc sander for $49.99. Since this is a coupon, and not a "sale price" would I still be a ble to use a 20% off on top of it? I doubt it, but thought I would see if anyone has done it.

I know the B&D isn't the greatest, but if I can get it for $40, I would be happy.
    Joe
  • KC7CN
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007
    • Deltona, Florida
    • PowerMatic 64A

Can't say for sure, but knowing Harbor Freight, I would say yes, you could also use the 20% off.

-Don

Comment

• drillman88
      • Dec 2007
      • Southeast
      • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

It depends on the store/manager, sometimes they will take both at my local store. It don't hurt to try though.
      I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

They let you use coupons for regular sale items so I see no reason why they wouldn't let you use one for a coupon sale item.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've not tried, but a coworker got one of those smaller air compressors that way...

Even without the 20% off coupon, that is a good price for that sander...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Garasaki
            • Sep 2006

I attempted to stack a 20% off (single item) coupon and a 15% off (entire order) over the weekend at my HF and they didn't take it

"we only accept 1 coupon" they said.

But that's just my local one. And that's a whole different situation then trying to use one of their price coupons (it might end up showing up as the coupon price on the register anyway!) and the %off coupon.

Sure don't hurt to try.
            -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
            -Henry Blake

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

It's well worth a try. The "coupon" price is sometimes actually a sale price - if you took the item to the register it would ring up at the coupon price.

JR
              JR

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Asked this question of one of my local HF managers not long ago. He says that they are not supposed to stack. This is the reason HF is going more and more to coupons... they want control of the bottom line cost. He says the computers are supposed to be set up to move the 20% discount to the highest-priced non-coupon item (sale prices are OK). If there is only the one item, and it's rung with a coupon, it won't take the second coupon on top. That said, he also said that perhaps not all the computers are set up this way, and that the managers have the authority to override any price, so it doesn't hurt to ask for the extra discount.

Comment

• tjr
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • at the falls of the Ohio
                  • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

At the closest store, their registers are set up even stranger than what Uncle Cracker describes - if it rings up any specific item coupons, it won't accept the 20% off any item even on items that didn't have a coupon. So, they have to ring 2 transactions - one for all the specific item coupons and one for all the rest of the stuff where it does the 20% off any item on the most expensive one.

Comment

• stormdog74
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • Sacramento, CA
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by tjr
                    At the closest store, their registers are set up even stranger than what Uncle Cracker describes - if it rings up any specific item coupons, it won't accept the 20% off any item even on items that didn't have a coupon. So, they have to ring 2 transactions - one for all the specific item coupons and one for all the rest of the stuff where it does the 20% off any item on the most expensive one.
                    This is how the HF near me works too. I would have them do a price check on it as what JR says is often true, although not always.

Comment

• AlanWS
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Shorewood, WI.

It's worth checking several different prices. Sometimes the price in the store is as low or lower than a coupon price anyway. Sometimes the web price is lower, and if you print out a list they will give you that price. As it's not a sale, but only a different HF price, you could get a coupon discount from that. And of course print ads and catalogs also have different prices, that could be higher or lower than any of the others.
                      Alan

Comment

• tsbrewers
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by tjr

Same as ours. If you have a 20% coupon, you have to ring that up seperately from everything else.

also both of ours will not stack a %off coupon with a merchandise coupon.

Brew

Comment

• garymuto
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Encinitas, CA
                          • Delta Cabinet Saw

My HF store had to ring up a 20% off coupon purchase separate from other items that I had coupons for specifically. I know before 2009 they had no problem taking another coupon but the policy changed. Good luck at your store and let us know how you make out.

Comment

Working...