X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

Woodcraft: 170 brad point drill bits $25 again

I got a set of these last time - very decent for the price.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20268
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

I bought a set two weeks ago. Made in China and thus far several are not straight, the tip orbits rather than just spins. The rest are not bad for general use but if you have to have a perfect hole you might want to spend some more for a better quality bit.

They are bulk packed in a nice red tin box. I fill and index with bits and replace as I break or dull the bit. Working out of that nice red box is a pain and it's too easy to mix up the bits.

The bits smaller than 1/8 are not brad point.

For the price it's not a bad deal, and the 5 buck router bits are still available.

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• DaveS
      • May 2003
      • Minneapolis,MN

Weird... all of mine have been straight (so far). I will have to go through them and check them all so I don't end up finding one accidentally.

Comment

• MilDoc

But that seems to be par for a lot of stuff made in China. Some sets perfect, others not. When I shop, I check each one to find the best.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by DaveS
          Weird... all of mine have been straight (so far). I will have to go through them and check them all so I don't end up finding one accidentally.
          its not that they're not straight, it's that the points are not perfectly centered. That's what Mr. Bill said. Bummer for a brad point bit.

I don' t have this set but some cheap BP sets from HF and when the bit points are non concentric it makes it hard to locate the hole properly (one advantage of a BP bit) and it also makes the drill vibrate like crazy as the point tries to dig in and move the wood in a circle. if the wood is clamped then the DP shakes, or of the wood is not clamped it tries to vibrate the wood like crazy.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Brunswick, MD

I have the brad point set and haven't had any issues with any of the bits so far. The points are centered and the bits are straight.

Comment

Working...