Wood shop closing down in Phoenix area

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 1893
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

    #1

    Wood shop closing down in Phoenix area

    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/1013813830.html

    We picked up well over 100 bd-ft of bird's eye and tiger maple for $250, as well as a few miscellaneous items at smokin' prices. He has a lot of other lumber and many tools for sale. All prices I looked at seemed very good. Nice guy.

    He's closing his cabinet shop to focus on distribution of a very nice euro-style hinge that is self-closing with an oil damper. Worth a visit just to check out that hardware.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 3196
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

    #2
    You just pipped me in posting this. I went down and met with Stan on Friday night. Picked up some Cherry and a sheet of Maple ply.

    I had to be very restrained so as not to pick up too much, my storage is already bursting at the seams and LOML keeps telling me to make more stuff with what I have rather than just buying up more. He has some nice stock and seems to be selling most of it between 2 and 3 bucks a bd/ft.

    His tools are priced fairly but no smokin deals so no chance for any huge gloats like Jon M
    Jon

    Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
    ________________________________

    We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

    Comment

    • Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 1893
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

      #3
      The smokin' tool deal is that mill at $900. Now if I only had the space for that monster...

      I didn't really have the storage space for the wood, but did you know you can fit a LOT of wood under the BT with the extension table? Now I just need to figure out where to put the 8-10' boards; the majority were shorts.

      Comment

      • poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 3196
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

        #4
        Originally posted by Carlos
        The smokin' tool deal is that mill at $900. Now if I only had the space for that monster...

        I didn't really have the storage space for the wood, but did you know you can fit a LOT of wood under the BT with the extension table? Now I just need to figure out where to put the 8-10' boards; the majority were shorts.
        You should come and see my shop I already have wood squirelled away all over the place. If he was selling at really crazy prices e.g. <$1 bd/ft I would have bought a ton and found somewhere to store it.

        In the last year or so I have come across 2 real gloatworthy wood finds. In the first I got just over 500 bd/ft of mixed stock for $500. There was a mix of various stuff from plain poplar and baswood to QSWO, Walnut, maple and mahogany. When I got it home and worked out exactly what I got I valued it at approx $4000 at average retail (lumber yard) prices.

        The second deal I got was on a mix of various exotic shorts along with odds and ends of ply and regular stock such as oak etc. I paid the guy $80 to clear out everything he had and amongst the stuff was a rosewood board 4/4 2'x4', a bunch of ebony, lacewood, purpleheart and a pack of exotic veneer that still had the price tag on it saying $50. There are some woods in there I havent managed to identify yet.
        Jon

        Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
        ________________________________

        We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

        Comment

        • BerniePA
          Established Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 377
          • San Tan Valley, AZ
          • Grizzly 0575

          #5
          Originally posted by poolhound
          You should come and see my shop I already have wood squirelled away all over the place. If he was selling at really crazy prices e.g. <$1 bd/ft I would have bought a ton and found somewhere to store it.

          In the last year or so I have come across 2 real gloatworthy wood finds. In the first I got just over 500 bd/ft of mixed stock for $500. There was a mix of various stuff from plain poplar and baswood to QSWO, Walnut, maple and mahogany. When I got it home and worked out exactly what I got I valued it at approx $4000 at average retail (lumber yard) prices.

          The second deal I got was on a mix of various exotic shorts along with odds and ends of ply and regular stock such as oak etc. I paid the guy $80 to clear out everything he had and amongst the stuff was a rosewood board 4/4 2'x4', a bunch of ebony, lacewood, purpleheart and a pack of exotic veneer that still had the price tag on it saying $50. There are some woods in there I havent managed to identify yet.
          Do you still have the mask you used when you stole that stuff??
          Bernie

          Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

          Comment

          • poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 3196
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

            #6
            Originally posted by BerniePA
            Do you still have the mask you used when you stole that stuff??
            Jon

            Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
            ________________________________

            We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

            Comment

            Working...