• Show
Clear All
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Wilton mini lathe $99 - Rockler

I think it's pretty small, but should work for pens and bottle stoppers, etc. Might be a cheap starter lathe.
    DonHo
    Don
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

It's a good starter lathe for somebody who wants to find out if they have really been bit by the penturning bug, but has a few drawbacks, and won't last like a more expensive model. Variable speed is finicky, and both headstock and tailstock are a bit cheesy, but whaddya want for a hundred bucks, anyway?

Here's the link...

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

I have had the Wilton mini-lathe for a couple of years. I use it mainly for pens. For what it costs, it is a great value. I haven't had any problems with the variable speed; I consider that to be one of the most useful features. Good lathe for the money.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

The folks over at IAP all speak highly of their Wiltons, but almost to a man, they say they wished they had started with something more substantial. One of their main complaints is that it uses MT-1 accessories, almost all of which will be useless if you ever move up to another lathe. MT-2 accessories can grow with you.

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          The folks over at IAP all speak highly of their Wiltons, but almost to a man, they say they wished they had started with something more substantial. One of their main complaints is that it uses MT-1 accessories, almost all of which will be useless if you ever move up to another lathe. MT-2 accessories can grow with you.
          All valid points to consider. For a little more money, you can buy one of the PSI lathes with similar features and MT-2. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Comment

• DUD
            Royal Jester
            • Dec 2002
            • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I bought this lathe from a fellow woodworker and have been very happy with it. I have

turned several pens and 1 small bowl with it. I would believe that a beginner would be

pleased with it. Bill
            5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Relative
              Established Member
              • Mar 2007
              • Garden Grove, CA
              • Ridgid R4512

Equivalent lathe

I have the Shop Fox W1704 which is the exact same lathe as the Wilton being discussed. Purchased at local Ace Hardware for $99 - no special sale. Have also seen it at Timberline for $109.

Mine melted one of the motor brush holders, shorted out, and took out the variable speed control electronics. Handled warranty claim with Shop Fox via e-mail. I e-mailed a copy of my receipt and Shop Fox sent a new motor and speed control - excellent service. Didn't ask for the old parts.

The lathe was in intermittent use for about 6 months when this happened. I really didn't stress it very much and think this was a situation where the brush holder probably was flakey, loose or something similar. The new setup has been fine and I purposely stressed it with no overheating of the motor.

The Tool rest is lacking in both metal quality and the shape of the top. Would rather have a horizontal ridge to guide my hand in addition to the support just for the tool. I accidentally knocked the 7" tool rest (was using the smaller one) onto the floor and it snapped right where the vertical support enters the cast metal. Had it brazed but, in the process, lost about 1/4" of usefulness in height. Local guy that did the welding offered to make up a new setup with 'better' material. He called the metal 'junk metal'.

Overall, I'm satisfied and will continue to use it for small projects, but am holding off on buying any additional accessories because of the #1 Morse Taper setup. Most larger lathes use #2. Gonna upgrade as soon as the $ come available.

Mike
              Last edited by Relative; 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM.
              Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

I think you meant the W1704?
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• Relative
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • Garden Grove, CA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Equivalent lathe

Whoops! Didn't say I could type.

Mike
                  Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

Working...