• Show
Clear All
  • Papa
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Williamsburg, VA
    • Ryobi BT3000

Harbor Freight 2hp Dust Collector

My latest HF catalog has the HF 2hp DC on sale for just under $150. I also have a 15% on any item cupon, which brings it down to about $128. This looks like a good buy to me. What do you HF 2hp DC owners think?

Thanks,
    Papa
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

that would be a pretty good price for the HF unit. The HF 2HP DC is OK, just remember its got a smaller impellor than the seemingly equivalent or slightly worse spec Jet, Delta, and Penn State 1.5 to 2 HP units... the CFM rating of the HF unit is way overstated and its actually below those units in air moving capacity, but better than 1 HP units. And the bags used to be 30 microns, almost useless and had to be replaced before any serious use. They have improved them (or maybe just changed the description!) to 5 microns but you need to replace them with 1 microns or smaller for good quality air exhaust for your work space breathing safety.

P.S. Per request by L.R.
    I resolved the filter bag issues by getting a Grizzly canister filter for the top for about $165 plus a set of 10 heavy duty plastic bags from Penn state for the lower bag.
    The advantages of this set up are:
    1. the filter area is 10X a pair of normal bags due to the pleated filter; this reduces air flow restriction even as the filter loads up and the lower bag fills.
    2. the filter action is more consistent than bags which normally don't filter well when cleaned but need a cake ont hem (which also reduces air flow).
    3. the grizz has a beater bar that causes dust trapped on the filter surface to fall down into the lower bag; the beater bar "flips" the pleats to release chips and fines trapped in the pleats.
    4. The canister is a perfect fit for the filter ring on the HF DC and other units (the 20" ring is a sort of defacto standard). The after-market replacement canisters from Jet, Grizz, and Penn State all will fit too and cost is about the same.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2008, 11:56 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Rich P
      Established Member
      • Apr 2003
      • Foresthill, CA, USA.
      • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

I've had one for about 3 years. Only problem was the switch blew (which forced me to relocate the replacement where I could reach it without bending over). I use the heavy clear plastic bag (the Jet one) on the bottom in a metal garbage can and an aftermarket 1 micron felt bag on top. IMHO, $128 is a good price but you'll need to figure at least that much more (and probably even more) for hoses, connectors, bags, gates, etc. As Loren points out, a DC without the proper bags is just a "fine dust pump", and my experience is that even with a good bag you will probably need an ambient air cleaner as well.
      Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• BizCoach
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2004
        • Milford, CT.

I'll echo what's been said above. you can get a canister filter instead of the bag on top - mine is made by Wynn - do a search and you'll find them.

My switch blew also but I was using a remote control switch to turn power on and off at the plug so I just hard wired the switch on the machine to be always on.
        www.CEOBootCamp.com
        Tools to help you run your business better

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Here's the info on the Wynn filter conversion.

http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

Well worth the extra bucks.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            that would be a pretty good price for the HF unit. The HF 2HP DC is OK, just remember its got a smaller impellor than the seemingly equivalent or slightly worse spec Jet, Delta, and Penn State 1.5 to 2 HP units... the CFM rating of the HF unit is way overstated and its actually below those units in air moving capacity, but better than 1 HP units. And the bags used to be 30 microns, almost useless and had to be replaced before any serious use. They have improved them (or maybe just changed the description!) to 5 microns but you need to replace them with 1 microns or smaller for good quality air exhaust for your work space breathing safety.
            First, are you sure it is the same model? I thought they changed the model number and did something else (plastic lower bag if I remember correctly) on the lower micron bag unit.
            Second, When you reply to these, please consider adding your information about the Grizzly filter with paddles you went for. (I believe a better value then the Wynn)
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• kramer katt
              Established Member
              • Aug 2004
              • SO CAL, USA
              • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

hf DC

HF website has both old and new listed
              45378 is 14 amp 30 micron
              97869 is 20 amp 5 micron
              HF spec's YMMV
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                First, are you sure it is the same model? I thought they changed the model number and did something else (plastic lower bag if I remember correctly) on the lower micron bag unit.
                Second, When you reply to these, please consider adding your information about the Grizzly filter with paddles you went for. (I believe a better value then the Wynn)
                I added to my prev post theinfo about the grizzly canister.

As for the model number, I think they have changed the number and the linked manual is new. But the unit is still basically the same- with the following changes I can see from the on-line item description:
                1. plastic lower "catch" bag (replaces 30 micron lower bag, this will give more air flow resistance than a filter bag)
                2. 5 micron upper bag - better than the 30 micron bag but still too large particle, 1 micron is preferable.
                3. locking switch vs standard switch
                4. the specs now say the motor is 20A peak... the old one used to be like 14.7A or 15A or something like that... might make a difference on a 15A circuit...
                5. Claimed air flow is 1550 vs the old 1600... I have no idea what they are smoking when thay make up these numbers... maybe its the theoretical volume in the impellor times the RPMs...

other than that the dimensions are close, the construction looks very much the same.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Rich P
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                  • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

harborfreight.com only has the "new" model number. harborfreightusa.com has both.

On the 45378 the web says 14 amps but the owners manual says 20. Go figure.

On my unit, the intake "Y" has two 4" ins and a 5" out. Also, the hose between the blower and the "collector" is 5". On both web sites both models say 4" in and 4" out. Don't know if this is correct but I doubt it.

Hopefully the casters on the 97869 have be changed to actually swivel without hanging up on the lip of the base. On mine I had to add some spacers to provide clearance.

Maybe someone at HF could get the folks who write stuff to take a look at the product from time to time?
                  Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• mpauly
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • NJ

I have the original HF DC with a Jet canister that I added on(picked up used) and have put in the Thein baffle, all told, I have about $275 into it including taxes. It works adequately when wheeled around and hooked directly to a machine and has served in my make ship shop for about a year and a half. I consider the canister or upgraded bags as a requirement though, the stockers still dump a ton of fines in the air. As others have already said the performance figures are inflated and I'm expecting performance to drop significantly when I start plumbing in some dust lines to other machines as my shop is starting to take shape.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd spring for a larger true 2HP, 220v machine with a canister already on it for about $500 and call it a day. Don't ask me which machine though....still researching and dreaming about a cyclone.

Michael

Comment

• John Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                      • BT3000 & BT3100

I have been using mine for over 3 years with no problems at all.
                      John Hunter

Comment

Working...