Clear All
  • Andrew Benedetto
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • SoCal, USA
    • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

$12.49, 50' poly. air hose 1/4" COSTCO

Like this one. $28.50

Blue hose transparant, plastic sleeves and swivels on the ends, looks like the Amflo or Hitachi ones, very light.

Andrew
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

i bought 50ft rubber hose from costco by goodyear for $15. they have good stuff every now and then.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto
      http://www.amazon.com/Grip-50-Polyur...846281&sr=1-29
      Like this one. $28.50

Blue hose transparant, plastic sleeves and swivels on the ends, looks like the Amflo or Hitachi ones, very light.

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
      i bought 50ft rubber hose from costco by goodyear for $15. they have good stuff every now and then.

The rubber hose allows more volume of air to be delivered and is more abrasion resistant. It is much better suited in the garage. The Poly hose is MUCH lighter, it is kink resistant, and I have heard (not enough experience yet) that it is better at flattening out (not curling around your legs). One thing that I read when I bought one (new local wood store I am trying to support), is how much easier it is to replace the ends. Slide the black end back, remove the nozzle, cut the bad section out and replace. This price and that feature, make me consider doing just that, as 50' can be a little long, especially in the shop for nail guns (don't want to trip with one of them).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

PU hose users, can you answer a question?

There are PVC, rubber, and Polyurethane (PU) hoses in that order of increasing cost and perhaps performance.

The PVC are ill behaved when it comes to cool weather, the rubber remains more flexible and does not take a set.

I understand the PU are more flexible than the rubber, and lighter.

Is the PU also twist sensitive like rubber or does the twist handle more easily?
        I have my hose over a hook and the twist does not come out when I pay out the hose, it simply falls in a loop every 2-3 feet. When I put it back ont he hook, I just hook the loops back up. I guess this would go away with a reel but I don't use one. Would the PU have less of this tendency?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          The rubber hose allows more volume of air to be delivered and is more abrasion resistant. It is much better suited in the garage. The Poly hose is MUCH lighter, it is kink resistant, and I have heard (not enough experience yet) that it is better at flattening out (not curling around your legs). One thing that I read when I bought one (new local wood store I am trying to support), is how much easier it is to replace the ends. Slide the black end back, remove the nozzle, cut the bad section out and replace. This price and that feature, make me consider doing just that, as 50' can be a little long, especially in the shop for nail guns (don't want to trip with one of them).
          I just realized from the post below that there are 3 different kinds, I assumed all the plastic looking ones fell into the same category, pvc, my error. Anybody have any experience with a polyurethane hose?? I bought a 25 ft. Goodyear rubber hose at HF for under $15, best $15 I ever spent! The plastic hoses were driving me crazy because they wouldn't uncoil at all. The downside of the rubber hose is that it's heavier, but for all the plusses something I'm more than willing to put up with.
          Last edited by herb fellows; 03-30-2008, 05:06 AM. Reason: incomplete
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• ryan.s
            • Feb 2006
            • So Cal
            • Ridgid TS3650

If it's anything like this poly hose then that's a great deal.

I have the PVC and black rubber hoses from HF and my bostitch hose can't be compared to the two. Both the PVC and black rubber hoses are stiff and heavy and I have a hard time uncoiling them when in use. The poly is a dream to use especially with nail guns, it allows to me position the gun in various angles without any resistance. Stays flat and straight when uncoiled and when finished stores away easily.

Comment

• RAV2
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Massachusetts

Looks like Flexeel type hose:

If so it is a good buy.

I plumbed my house and shed (underground) a couple of years ago to my portable PC in my garage. Was going to go with the Polyurethane (PU) hose and looked for this type in bulk. The pro shop guy wanted $1.10 per LF even though I showed him 50' lengths in his shop with fittings for around $30????

I thought PU would have great benefits but in the end, I went to HD and bought 2 orange (PVC?) 100' lengths and a 50' for dirt money (possibly around $20 per 100' - not on sale). I ran the orange thru my basement with supports about every 12" (like installing electrical wiring). Seems to be meeting my needs.

If this is really flexible, it may be a good source of stock (as others have suggested) for making a couple of point of use hoses for user convenience.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I read the user reviews on the similar PUR hose at Amazon and I'm very confused.
                Many of the reviewers love it saying its tangle-free and coils and stores easily and the other half hate it and said it tangles and refuses to coil well.

So which is it?

or am i just going to thave to try it myself and see.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

I've had great success with Flexeel hoses for the last 5 years. They were quite a bit more expensive back then, but well worth it.

I carry a 25' hose and my little Senco compressor in my van all the time. It's the first hose I've ever owned that ever behaved itself.

I use the 1/4" hose with my stapler, brad nailers and pin gun. It's very light and the connectors and strain-reliefs work great. JMO.

LINK
                  Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM. Reason: Added link
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • BT-3000, 21829

-----------
                    Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 03-30-2008, 12:14 PM. Reason: Double post
                    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • SoCal, USA
                      • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I have this hose in green, 3/8" and it is very light, coils up easily,[turn the hose spool as you wind it up like pressure washer hose] not transparent like the Costo one. I use a 1/2" goodyear rubber hose for HD work such as auto repair, frame nailers...
                      Andrew

Comment

Working...