Delta 36-979 at amazon,good price or not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anthony
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY, USA.

Delta 36-979 at amazon,good price or not?

Amazon is selling this for 371.41.
    Is this a deal? I forget if this is their usual price.
    Lowes sells this model for 459 or 479.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...Cp%5F4%3ADelta
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Did you notice that it doesn't come with a fence or rail system?

Comment

• Anthony
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY, USA.

fence rail

Yes; I have a fence that would work with this.
      I know Amazon had a pseudo-sale on this for under 300.00 that they then did not honor, so I was wondering if this model could be had at a lower price., or if this is rock bottom.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

$371 delivered is a very good price IMO. Lowes has it for $450 plus 8.25% sales tax in our area, so that's a pretty fair savings on the actual price to your door.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Shipwreck
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Anthony
          Amazon is selling this for 371.41.
          Is this a deal? I forget if this is their usual price.
          Lowes sells this model for 459 or 479.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...Cp%5F4%3ADelta

It is a very nice saw even if you pay full retail. Well machined. EZ to assemble. (except for the mobile base caster).

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I bought that same saw at local Lowe's in Dec. for $405. I had the Bies from the clearance sale earlier. Except for getting it out of the truck by myself, I didn't have any real issues assembling by myself.

I haven't had a chance to use it very much, and I'm running it on 120V, but I've enjoyed it very much. Mine was almost perfectly square out of the box. My biggest problem was a few small missing parts from the Bies kit, which Delta mailed me in about a week's time.

If you get it, you will probably need help putting on the wings. I got them on without help by putting them on a rolling table, and shimming them until they were almost the right height. The wings took me the longest time, mainly because I was so picky about getting them perfectly aligned with the main table. I must've done fairly well, because you can't feel the joint, and it is barely visible.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• rockybrown
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

anthony-

imho you'd be better off with the ridgid ts3650 from hd. at $467 minus the 10% movers coupon from lowes you'd have a much better saw for about the same price, with a mobile base and a very good fence.

rb

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by rockybrown
                anthony-

imho you'd be better off with the ridgid ts3650 from hd. at $467 minus the 10% movers coupon from lowes you'd have a much better saw for about the same price, with a mobile base and a very good fence.

rb
                I think they're fairly comparable saws, and assuming he pays sales tax, the Ridgid will cost ~ $75 more even if he gets the 10% coupon....over $100 more if he doesn't. Since he already has a fence, why spend more?
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Amazon had this same Delta on sale at New Year's for around $280, so there's probably room for improvement in this price, if you can wait, but who knows?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Amazon had this same Delta on sale at New Year's for around $280, so there's probably room for improvement in this price, if you can wait, but who knows?
                    That was the infamous sale that very few people who ordered them got them.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                      That was the infamous sale that very few people who ordered them got them.
                      Ya, now I remember. But some got them...

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by rockybrown
                        anthony-

rb
                        Remember, the 979 has a built in mobile base. I didn't find it very hard to assemble. It is similar in design to the Delta wooden mobile base Lowe's clearenced out recently.

The thing I don't like about the setup is that I have to remember to adjust the extension table let stops up when I need to move the saw. I'm thinking about new legs with casters that don't quite touch the ground. Everything I've read about the 979 with a Bies extension table and fence indicates the legs are not necessary to support the table or fence rail, but is necessary to keep the saw from tipping if the table is overloaded. I figure if my casters are 1/2 to 3/4" off the floor, the saw will tilt a little, but not flip.

FYI: I have seen a mod that would attach the legs of the table to the saw base itself by putting the legs at a 45. However, you lose all that great storage space under the table. Another trick would be to build your own mobile base and get rid of the Delta base completely. I personally chose not to go that route. I get so little time in the shop, I'd rather build something besides a mobile base for a saw that already has one.
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• Shipwreck
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                          Remember, the 979 has a built in mobile base. I didn't find it very hard to assemble. It is similar in design to the Delta wooden mobile base Lowe's clearenced out recently.

The thing I don't like about the setup is that I have to remember to adjust the extension table let stops up when I need to move the saw. I'm thinking about new legs with casters that don't quite touch the ground. Everything I've read about the 979 with a Bies extension table and fence indicates the legs are not necessary to support the table or fence rail, but is necessary to keep the saw from tipping if the table is overloaded. I figure if my casters are 1/2 to 3/4" off the floor, the saw will tilt a little, but not flip.

FYI: I have seen a mod that would attach the legs of the table to the saw base itself by putting the legs at a 45. However, you lose all that great storage space under the table. Another trick would be to build your own mobile base and get rid of the Delta base completely. I personally chose not to go that route. I get so little time in the shop, I'd rather build something besides a mobile base for a saw that already has one.
                          You just need some long fingers to reach the attach the nuts to the leg bolts at the casters.
                          No problem here, I have long fingers......lol But my buddy was having fits with his.

All in All............I think the mobility feature on the 36-979 is better than the Ridgid.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Montgomery, AL.

Originally posted by Shipwreck
                            You just need some long fingers to reach the attach the nuts to the leg bolts at the casters.
                            No problem here, I have long fingers......lol But my buddy was having fits with his.
                            Yeah, that was a little bit of a pain. I used a telescoping magnet to hold the nuts when tightening. However, I think a small stick with chewing gum on the end would have been a better choice.

Comment

• rockybrown
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dustmight
                              I think they're fairly comparable saws, and assuming he pays sales tax, the Ridgid will cost ~ $75 more even if he gets the 10% coupon....over $100 more if he doesn't. Since he already has a fence, why spend more?
                              ooops- i missed the part where he says he already has a fence. maybe i should read all the posts before i open my yapper.

i compared the delta and ridgid, and ended up with the 3650- that was 2 saws ago- and really liked it. i built a saw station around mine and it worked out great.

rb

Comment

Working...