• Show
Clear All
  • BrianStark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • San Diego, CA
    • Ryobi BT3100

Eagle America router bits 15% off...

Saw an email today from Eagle America -- they are discounting all router bits by 15% on internet orders through January 21, 2008. No coupon code necessary. I have been waiting for a sale like this...

http://www.eagleamerica.com
  • FEDSAWDAVE
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Tampa Bay, Fl.

Let's see: Part #102-0955 1/2"CDx1/2"SHx2"CLx4 1/8" OAL
    LIST $20.99
    Sale $17.42

That's a good deal??????? And, it's made where??
    WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Thanks for the heads-up, Brian. I just scored a set of forstener bits reg $130 for $60. Not part of the deal that you were mentioning but you saved me... no, you cost me... er, cost the wife... well, "thanks". It will be worth the, 'Didn't you just get something? Yea, but that was for the router and this is entirely different and really necessare=y... for safety, yea, for safety"!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• BrianStark
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007
        • San Diego, CA
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by FEDSAWDAVE
        LIST $20.99
        Sale $17.42

Made in USA. Is it a good deal? Well, I suppose that is subjective. For me, it is a good deal as I can't recall the last time I saw their bits on sale and I have a short list of bits I want to pick up.

Brian

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

LIST $20.99
          Sale $17.42

Like Whiteside bits, Eagles bits are proudly made here in the USA and usually tie for 1st place with Whiteside in bit reviews. Quite honestly they blow the Freud bits out of the water in the profiles that where tested (straight and ogee). On single bit purchases, the Whiteside from holbren.com w/ the BT3 discount is by far the best deal in router bits IMHO.

Speaking of good deals, would you consider putting together a PC 7518 group buy together?

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2008
            • Tampa Bay, Fl.

Well I guess they usually tie being that Eagle bits ARE made by Whiteside. The games manufactures play and... I'd take the woodworking mags "reviews" with a grain of salt as you would not believe the politics played behind the scenes. I'll leave it at that.

Funny how "reviewed as best" bits are never what you see the industrial setting boys use!
            WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Since your on the industrial side of things Dave - can you enlighten us as to what good router bits are and who makes them? Also what a good price for 1/2" shank bits should be?
              Thanks
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008
                • Tampa Bay, Fl.

Obviously "enlightenment" as it relates to what you purchase starts with your wallet. If you guys are looking for nothing but the cheapest things you can get your hands on without regard to an ounce of quality, I'll refrain.

Ever try "price-cutter" router bits? Imported from that slave labor country by Eagle.
                WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• Mark Smith
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Southwest CT

C'mon, Dave. You're new to the forum because you got a bunch of hits on your site from woodworkers and you start trashing stuff and refuse to put your opinion out on the line. If someone asks you can't you tell them? There might just be a bunch of guys that would like to hear your case for a better line of tools.

Comment

• ryan.s
                    • Feb 2006
                    • So Cal
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Dave

I think chopnhack was just interested in seeing what you see as being commonly used in an industrial setting. I for one am curious too but don't know any "industrial setting boys". I figure what ever brand they use they use because they are precise and durable. Interested to see what the availability is for the homeowner market.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Obviously "enlightenment" as it relates to what you purchase starts with your wallet. If you guys are looking for nothing but the cheapest things you can get your hands on without regard to an ounce of quality, I'll refrain.

Ever try "price-cutter" router bits? Imported from that slave labor country by Eagle.
                      I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I suspect most of us are just looking for good value per dollar spent that's suitable for hobby use....very few pros here from what I can tell. Whiteside, Freud, and Infinity are the best I've used to date....those are typically at the upper end of price range and quality IME. I've tried both the green "Bargain Bits" from Price Cutter, and their black Price Cutter line....I view the green bits to be on par with bargains like MLCS, Hickory, and Woodcraft. The black ones were a pleasant surprise with a bogus name IMO....more like Katana and CMT.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• George Cole
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2007

What is a slave labor country? Where is it located? Just curious.
                        George

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I dont think enlightenment starting in the wallet necessarily translates into a better bit - As with anything in this world there are overpriced products. Again, can you recommend any good 1/2" bits that perhaps you may use yourself Dave?
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Tampa Bay, Fl.

Agreed...No it doesn't chop it simply means that it's your money and you'll buy what works for you. Nothing wrong with that. Choice is good.

Mr. Smith, excuse me but I've "trashed" nothing here. I have pointed out however that 2 brands of bits enjoyed here are made by the same company. I've also pointed out that some of those brands are geared (see marketed) towards the weekend warrior woodworker. They are not, IMO, on the same level as FS Tool, Leitz, Leuco, Amana, Heurco, Vortex, Onsrud, Guhdo etc...
                            Of coarse, the afformentioned tooling is used in industrial applications, on high end industrial machinery on a continual run basis.

BTW, if you need me to tell you that "slave labor country" is China then.........
                            WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• newbie2wood
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2004
                              • NJ, USA.

As a hobbyist, I have no need for tools like FS Tool, Leitz, Leuco, Amana, Heurco, Vortex, Onsrud, Guhdo etc... You are correct, it's your money and you'll buy what works for you.

Cheap quality tools can be a disappointment but not all cheap (unexpensive) tools are bad. I'm all in favor of buying american-made products but it is not always possible or a good decision from my financial standpoint. My worse cars, for example, were made in this country. I have a Toyota now. The car handle well, has a better fuel economy ("go green"), and has been problem free for the last 100000 miles.
                              ________
                              Park Royal 3 Condominium
                              Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Working...