• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Amazon Prime shipping deal

This isn't so much of a timely alert as just a general tip for buying from Amazon. They have an optional feature called "Amazon prime" which gives you free 2-day shipping and dirt cheap overnight shipping. It runs $80 for the year, but if you buy a lot from them (especially heavy stuff) it can pay back quickly. Being able to use overnight shipping means that if you need something fast, you don't have to get it locally. As an extreme example, I decided to get the Jet canister for my HF DC. I made that decision on a Saturday afternoon. I used the overnight shipping option and had it Monday morning for a $4 shipping charge. Same with a set of clamps, they weigh a ton and are huge, but $4 had them to my door in less than 24 hours (you can order as late as 6:30pm).
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Does that also cover orders through Amazon that are not shipped by Amazon but by outside vendors? If it does then it could be a good deal but if it doesn't well............... I just don't see the value in spending $80+ every year to buy things from Amazon when many of their items ship for free it you can wait a week. I've yet to have any order from Amazon take more than a week to arrive at my door. Now watch, my next order will take forever!

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Originally posted by sweensdv
      Does that also cover orders through Amazon that are not shipped by Amazon but by outside vendors?
      It does not.
      -Joe

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

Something to keep in mind as well is a lot of the time the really heavy stuff such as shop equipment won't qualify for Amazon prime unless they're running a special. Prime only seems to work if the item qualifies for free shipping. And when they usually run the free shipping special they jack up the price to compensate for it. Case in point, I've been eyeing the delta 17-950L drill press for a while and I've seen the price drop as low as $250 but then there's a shipping charge of $150. Right now the shipping is free but the price is $400.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Actually, Prime shipping applies on any item shipped directly from Amazon, and not exceeding Fedex/UPS standard parcel weight limitations. Heavy objects requiring truck freight will be excluded. Plus, it gives the advantage of free 2-day shipping, rather than free ground shipping (Super Saver), which can take a week or more. And overnight shipping is usually only $3.99 with Prime. I've done it for 2 years with great success, but if you don't buy much from Amazon, it is probably not for you.

Comment

• MilDoc

I signed on to Prime as soon as it was offered. Shipped a miter saw, lots of other heavy stuff free. As stated, if you order a lot it pays for itself fast. And I do order a lot, not just tools. Saves a lot in sales tax, and far too often I can't find what I want without a drive to Austin or Dallas - so saves a lot on gas too.

Comment

• supper shaun
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006

I believe you can split the cost between four family members also.

Comment

• aussieblake
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2007
                • OKC
                • Unisaw

I have not signed up for Prime, but have heard that with the free two day shipping or overnight shipping, that your order is less likely to get cancelled if there is a pricing error. Not too mention some of the items that are not pricing errors but just a good deal, with prime your order is feeled ahead of the standard free shipping. I have several orders cancelled because they are no longer available, and several have been open for up to a year. Prime can be worth the money, if you use it a lot. Just have not done it yet.

aussieblake

Comment

• thallikar
                  Established Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by aussieblake
                  I have not signed up for Prime, but have heard that with the free two day shipping or overnight shipping, that your order is less likely to get cancelled if there is a pricing error. Not too mention some of the items that are not pricing errors but just a good deal, with prime your order is feeled ahead of the standard free shipping. I have several orders cancelled because they are no longer available, and several have been open for up to a year. Prime can be worth the money, if you use it a lot. Just have not done it yet.

aussieblake
                  That is absolutely true. I got 50 dollars worth of free toys for my kids because of pricing error. The 80$ is way way worth it. Most of the stuff is cheaper on Amazon. I just buy it there,avoid taxes and get it shipped to my home in 2 days. Taxes alone probably saves me the money. Most of the tools I bought are thru Amazon. It does make u spend lot more though.

Comment

Working...