If you've been wanting a code scanner for your car...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

If you've been wanting a code scanner for your car...

HF has one on sale now worth considering. (Actually, they have 3 on sale, but I went for the top model). It's an OBD-II unit (for late model cars) with text menuing and descriptions. It's in the current sale ad for $89.99, but I noticed it online for $79.99. Take a copy of the online ad and a 15% off coupon, and you can get one for $67.99 (Regular Price: $129.99). I brought it home and tried it out, and it works great! Even comes with a CD containing manufacturers trouble codes (DTC's), although I did not try it, since I have a factory service manual. Found a bad ignition coil (my car has eight!), fixed it in 10 minutes, and saved myself a trip to the dealer and about $300 in the process.

Here's a link to the online ad.

And here is a link to the 15% off coupon.
    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 01-09-2008, 10:50 PM.
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cool -- was just thinking about getting one of these.

How in the world did you fix a bad ignition coil in 10 minutes?!? My car has eight, too, and the dealer really, really likes to replace them -- also at about $300 a pop. I'd be thrilled if this ends up something I can do myself!!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• SteveK2
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2007
      • Central NJ

8 ignition coils? Really?

The ad description says 2-foot long cable. Is it really that short? Most OBD code readers sold in auto stores/departments (like Pep Boys and Sears) are frequently on sale for the same sale price and come with an 8-foot cable. The extra 15% makes this a good deal - if you don't mind the shorter cable.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i got one last month for around $65 at the retail store when I gave my old $40 one to my daughter to find out what codes here car is popping. Haven't used it yet but it looks more than twice as good as the $40 one but not really any more functional.

I'm not really expecting to go to the HF site and get a firmware upgrade any time soon.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by SteveK2
          8 ignition coils? Really?

The ad description says 2-foot long cable. Is it really that short? Most OBD code readers sold in auto stores/departments (like Pep Boys and Sears) are frequently on sale for the same sale price and come with an 8-foot cable. The extra 15% makes this a good deal - if you don't mind the shorter cable.
          Yes, eight. Each spark plug has one. Keeps them from having to use plug wires, because the firing signals are now sent to the plug/coil duo via low voltage.

The HF unit actually came with a 5' cable... Plenty long for my car. The reason I liked this particular HF unit is because of the plain-language prompts and menus. Many of the cheaper ones I'd seen were very cryptic, and could barely be reasoned out without a service manual in your lap.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
            Cool -- was just thinking about getting one of these.

How in the world did you fix a bad ignition coil in 10 minutes?!? My car has eight, too, and the dealer really, really likes to replace them -- also at about $300 a pop. I'd be thrilled if this ends up something I can do myself!!
            Dumped the codes for misfires (each cylinder has a different code). Eight screws opens the access panel to a bank of 4 coils. Pull off the 2-pin plug, undo a single screw, and the coil unit pulls right out. Easy as pie. It might have taken an extra 15 minutes if the bad coil was on the passenger side, as access to that bank of cylinders would have required me to remove the intake air duct first.

Comment

• Scottw
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2006
              • Deep East Texas

I have the same one. Got it about 5 months ago. Had a check engine light that went on and off every once in a while and then stayed on. The reader told me in plain English that the fuel system had an emission leak. The second alarm listed was that the fuel cap might be leaking. Changed the cap, erased the alarms and the reader paid for itself in one use. A cool feature of the OBD II codes and this reader is the freeze frame function. It tells you the engine RPMs, speed of the vehicle, brake system status and lots of other info the exact moment the fault occurred.

Just to keep this in the right forum, if you're spending allot of money on taking your vehicle to the shop needlessly, you won't have enough for POWER TOOLS!!

Comment

• SteveK2
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2007
                • Central NJ

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                The HF unit actually came with a 5' cable... Plenty long for my car. The reason I liked this particular HF unit is because of the plain-language prompts and menus. Many of the cheaper ones I'd seen were very cryptic, and could barely be reasoned out without a service manual in your lap.

5' definately better than 2'. I think a 2' cable would be a problem on some vehicles.

Plain language definately helps a lot.....from looking at various models, it seems that the bottom-of-the-line code readers are the ones that show a code and then you gotta get your fingers walking thru some manual to lookup the code. Once you step up to the mid-to-upper priced readers, you get the plain language explanations you mention. I picked up a reader couple of months ago at Pep Boys Auto.....on sale for $80.....looks like its the same reader, but its not labeled Centech. Cant remember the brand name cuz its in the garage at home, but it works great. Does the same real-time displays on some of the vehicle's systems as mentioned in another post.

This one might qualify for a HF "gems" list.

Comment

• vanguard
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Brighton, MI, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS2400SL

5' definately better than 2'. I think a 2' cable would be a problem on some vehicles.
                  It's not as bad as you might think, the location of the OBD II is mandated to be under the dash near the steering wheel. So 2' should be plenty.

Comment

• Crash2510
                    • Feb 2006
                    • North Central Ohio

what years will this support
                    Phil In Ohio
                    The basement woodworker

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Crash2510
                      what years will this support
                      OBD II was mandated in the US on all cars beginning 1996, and I think, upgraded recently. THis supports all cars since 1996 with the latest upgrades in the protocol.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jtrcy
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2005

So, the other day, my truck (98 dodge ram) wouldn't start, so I tried to start it with the 200 amp surge jump starter - no luck.

Original battery, so I figured screw it and put in a new battery.

With the new battery - it would now turn over of course - but it wouldn't start. Well, seems like the fuel pump is the first place to start, and I was already having problems with the fuel level being accurate and the consensus was that they don't last much past 100,000 miles, so I dropped the tank and installed a new one.

Still won't start! Never ever had a problem with this truck and I've taken good care of it.

Havn't yet had anyone with me to do the whole listen thing with the fuel pump yet.

Do you think a code reader would give me information on what is making it not start?

Never used one.

Thanks,

Julian

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                          Dumped the codes for misfires (each cylinder has a different code). Eight screws opens the access panel to a bank of 4 coils. Pull off the 2-pin plug, undo a single screw, and the coil unit pulls right out. Easy as pie. It might have taken an extra 15 minutes if the bad coil was on the passenger side, as access to that bank of cylinders would have required me to remove the intake air duct first.
                          Okay, you've inspired me! Every time I bring my car to the shop I feel like I'm giving away what would otherwise be a new tool!
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                            Okay, you've inspired me! Every time I bring my car to the shop I feel like I'm giving away what would otherwise be a new tool!
                            Good for you! Remember that the misfire counters have a threshold amount that they must exceed before it triggers an error code. This keeps an errant "burp" now and again from giving you false readings. When you get the stumble in the engine that signals a coil starting to go, you should drive the vehicle for a couple more days to accumulate enough misfires to identify the offending cylinder #. This usually happens by itself by the time you get it to the shop, but if you park it right away, it might not.

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

Will this thing work on Rice Burners. My Toyota Tacoma has the check engine light on, don't think is any thing serious, probably an emission problem. Truck runs fine. I used to work on them my self but don't have tools or equipment to do the new one.

Tom

Comment

Working...