• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Smith
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Southwest CT

MCLS Router Bit closeout

Final closeout of the bits left from their purchase of another company. Includes some panel raising bits for between $20 and $45, rail and stile bits for $45, and an assortment of other bits for $5-$25. $50 minimum puchase. Free shipping.

BTW: I have no connection with these folks.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...e/sp071031.htm
  • Brandt
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2003

If the previous sale was a subject here I missed it. Any opinions on the quality of these bits?

Comment

• JJO
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Illinois, USA.

They are decent middle of road bits. I've had/used several of their bits and sets with good results. They're a good way to get started without the heavy $$. HTH
      jerry

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Brandt
        If the previous sale was a subject here I missed it. Any opinions on the quality of these bits?
        My first set was MLCS...decent quality for an Asian made bargain bit, but after ~ 3 years most needed replacing. The $50 minimum puts a bit of sting in the deal for me. I'm finding Holbren's blue bits to have thicker carbide, are possibly higher quality, and are often priced better....free shipping, no minimum, and extremely good service. (use "BT310" discount code )

FWIW, Fine Woodworking's recent test rated Holbren "Good" along with Freud, Amana, Bosch, and Ridge Carbide. MLCS, Porter Cable, and Woodline rated "Fair". Whiteside, Infinity, and Eagle America were predictably rated "Excellent", but tend to cost more.

(see results here)
        Last edited by Knottscott; 11-03-2007, 09:03 AM.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JJO
          They are decent middle of road bits. I've had/used several of their bits and sets with good results. They're a good way to get started without the heavy $$. HTH
          you talkin about their bits in general or the ones referred to on closeout?
          the OP was aksing about the closeout bits
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jhgrady
            Established Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Alexandria, Va, USA.

Dustmight

Thanks for the chart. Looks like "You get what you pay for" aint so.

John

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by jhgrady
              Dustmight

Thanks for the chart. Looks like "You get what you pay for" aint so.

John
              Getting what you pay for isn't a given, that's for sure! (But it's definitely possible if you do your homework... ...or call Jeffrey Schronce or "Cheeky"! )
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JJO
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Illinois, USA.

Sorry. I was referring to the regular MLCS bits. Not familiar with this company they bought out. My oversight...
                jerry

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's the canadian company they bought out (they mentioned Cutting Edge)
                  http://www.cutterbits.com/
                  now moved from Canada to the US and opening again.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...