• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

HF Crane - $139.00

Saw this on woodnet. I've been contemplating on getting one. I was afraid that since it's an HF brand it my fall apart and drop the equipment, or worse hurt someone. But it seems many woodnet have and love them.
    Now to decide to get this with a larger load capacity or pay more to get the one that folds up.
    Attached Files
    -Paul
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

My neighbor has the one depicted on the coupon. Not the best built thing I ever saw, but he says he hasn't had any issues with it. It does take up a lot of space, though. I have given a little thought to the fold-up version, but do not own one, as I have relatively little need, and I can't quite convince myself that it's really sturdy enough, nor that I wouldn't find it too much of a PITA to put up and take down.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

These are basically an enginge hoist with longer boom lift jacks and extendable, sleeved booms. No new technology, so I would think they would work fine. The load limits become considerably less as the boom is extended, as is the case with any crane.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

As a former owner of an impossible-to-store-cuss-at-everytime-you-trip-over-it-can't-get-it-out-of-your-way model such as you're looking at, let me just tell you ..... GET THE FOLD UP!!!! (unless you've got a 40x60 shop with dedicated space for one)

I ended up selling my "heavy duty" model (non-chinese) which I cussed at for several years. I went to a fold up version and it tucks away nicely in the back of my garden shed. While my fold-up is not a HF, it probably came out of the same plant. I have no regrets, the space that it saves for the little use that it sees was well worth the trade-off.
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Thom2
          As a former owner of an impossible-to-store-cuss-at-everytime-you-trip-over-it-can't-get-it-out-of-your-way model such as you're looking at, let me just tell you ..... GET THE FOLD UP!!!! (unless you've got a 40x60 shop with dedicated space for one)

I ended up selling my "heavy duty" model (non-chinese) which I cussed at for several years. I went to a fold up version and it tucks away nicely in the back of my garden shed. While my fold-up is not a HF, it probably came out of the same plant. I have no regrets, the space that it saves for the little use that it sees was well worth the trade-off.
          Dude. We could have welded it to your truck bed. Problem solved.

Comment

• vanguard
            Established Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Brighton, MI, USA.
            • Ridgid TS2400SL

I picked up the fold up version at a Pep Boys over a year ago for about $100. I think the HF version is also on sale at this weekends parking lot sale for $97.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

My dream shop has a big ol' I-beam on rollers, with a moving block and tackle. No mobile bases required. Just hoist the beast in question and let it drift to where it needs to be.

JR
              JR

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have HF's 2-ton folding shop crane/engine hoist. It's several years old now and still works fine. I dig it out about once or twice a year to lift engines and one time used it as a "jack" on the garage door when one of the door hinges busted. Friends have borrowed it a couple times too - lifting small-block Chevy V8 out a boat, lifting some furniture, etc.

The only complaint I had was during assembly, some of the welded parts weren't 100% lined up so the wheels didn't quite "agree" on where the ground should be. I ended up using washers/shims on a couple casters to make it roll better.

Issues as an engine hoist: the splayed-out legs for the casters give it a lot of stability but they run into the tires or suspension of a lot of cars... you end up having to lift the car a bit just to get the hoist in there... then the hoist smacks the ceiling or garage door if you don't pay attention while lifting the engine! They also run into the trailer of boats... I wish the square-tube members were more like flat rectangles. ONE inch would make so much difference!

mpc

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

It looks like the 1-ton foldable will be at the sidewalk sale this weekend for $97.77.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...emnumber=93840
                  JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by p8ntblr
                    Saw this on woodnet. I've been contemplating on getting one. I was afraid that since it's an HF brand it my fall apart and drop the equipment, or worse hurt someone. But it seems many woodnet have and love them.
                    Now to decide to get this with a larger load capacity or pay more to get the one that folds up.

I'v e been looking at this statement for a couple of days now and I will say I've never had (or even heard of) anything from HF just fall apart and "lose its load" so to speak.

I do often times have issues with fit and finish and consequently with the ability to adjust smoothly and work without hassle. I have also had issues with documentation and poor packaging.

And I do have several HF products whose quality was just really good. the low price not even considered.

But never had a problem with total failure to hold up, for at least a little while.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...