• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

HF 24" K-bar Knockoffs $19.99

Just returned from Harbor Freight. They had the 24' Bessey K-bar knockoffs on clearance for $19.99. I believe I have this right. The big bulky Bessey's like Norm uses - I think they're called K-bars. Isn't K-bar also the name of the company that made the WWII Marine knives? Anyway, they appear to be nice clamps although from India.
    Richard
    Richard
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

IMHO that is not a real great price. Bessey K-Body clamps can often be bought in sets of 4 with set up blocks for around $20 per clamp. This includes shipping and no sales tax.

The HF units reportedly have a small amount of deflection and the jaws arent as parallel as Bessey, WC and other parallel jaw clamps.

Might want to rethink this purchase phrog.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks Jeffrey

Thanks Jeffrey,
      I have no need for more clamps myself and was merely posting this for those who might have a need. At one time I saw interest on this board for these clamps and I noticed at that time that they were selling for close to $30.00. Therefore, I posted this for those who might still be interested. I hadn't heard there was a deflection and it's hard to believe as beefy as they appear that they would deflect but, having been made in India, it's certainly possible. Thanks for myself and all those who might be interested for your info.
      Richard
      Richard

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

In the test done by WOOD Magazine, the 24" Harbor Freight clamp deflected 1/16" as did the Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamp. When clamping force was compared, the Harbor Freight clamp had the 2nd highest rating with 806 maximum pounds of force compared to the 579 pounds of force generated by the wood handled Bessey's.

The article basically came to the conclusion that any of the parallel clamps out there will do the job and that there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the brands. Of course many will disagree with that conclusion but according to WOOD Magazine anyways, buy by price because there isn't that much difference in performance.

For those interested in such things, Bessey and Jorensen are made in the US, Gross Stabil in Germany, Harbor Freight and Woodcraft in India and Jet and Stanley are make in China. Interestingly, the made in China Jet clamp came out the overall winner.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by sweensdv
          In the test done by WOOD Magazine, the 24" Harbor Freight clamp deflected 1/16" as did the Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamp. When clamping force was compared, the Harbor Freight clamp had the 2nd highest rating with 806 maximum pounds of force compared to the 579 pounds of force generated by the wood handled Bessey's.

The article basically came to the conclusion that any of the parallel clamps out there will do the job and that there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the brands. Of course many will disagree with that conclusion but according to WOOD Magazine anyways, buy by price because there isn't that much difference in performance.

For those interested in such things, Bessey and Jorensen are made in the US, Gross Stabil in Germany, Harbor Freight and Woodcraft in India and Jet and Stanley are make in China. Interestingly, the made in China Jet clamp came out the overall winner.
          The problem I see with the HF is that I can get the higher rated Bessey for less. Don't get me wrong, when they get 12" HF parallel jaw clamps in the stores, put them on sale for $14 then I can find a coupon for another 20% off . . . .well there will be a lot of black clamps hanging out with my red clamps!

Note : I am 99% sure Bessey K-Bods are made in Germany.

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Eh, if you ask me the Jet's are better than either. And with the cabinet maker's set available for fairly cheap, I agree with Jeffrey that the price is so-so.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

well anyway its good to see some competition in this class of clamp - the recent addition of woodcraft and Jet and HF increased the suppliers by three; too bad Bessey just swallowed G.S. and decreased it by one.

Is stanley making these clamps, too?
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Yes, but I am not sure the product has hit the stores.

Comment

• wassaw998
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I think these are the clamps, fyi :

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93875
                  Chris

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

well anyway its good to see some competition in this class of clamp - the recent addition of woodcraft and Jet and HF increased the suppliers by three; too bad Bessey just swallowed G.S. and decreased it by one.

I think WOOD found that the Stanley clamps were the strongest but they left some black stains on glue-ups.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Yep, those are the ones

Originally posted by wassaw998
                      I think these are the clamps, fyi :

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93875
                      Yep, wassaw998, those are the ones I saw for $19.99. Didn't mean to stir up so much controversy. I was just reporting what I saw for those interested. Thanks for the link.
                      Richard
                      Richard

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by phrog
                        Yep, wassaw998, those are the ones I saw for $19.99. Didn't mean to stir up so much controversy. I was just reporting what I saw for those interested. Thanks for the link.
                        Richard
                        Dude, there is no controversy! I think everyone is just pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of each brand of parallel jaw clamp. All posts are appreciated!

Comment

• meika123
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Advance, NC, USA.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by phrog
                          Thanks Jeffrey,
                          I have no need for more clamps myself Richard
                          WHAT!! THAT IS BLASPHEMY!! You don't need any more clamps? Everyone always needs more clamps.

Dave in NC
                          Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Bessey may have acquired G.S. but that didn't decrease the choices out there at all. At the end of the WOOD article they pointed out that Irwin just introduced a line of parallel clamps. They were unable to include the Irwin clamps in their article as they were just introduced about the time that WOOD was finishing up their comparison. The prices on the Irwin's were inline with the other manufacturers.

Jeffrey,.......... I may have misspoken when I said where those clamps were made. After looking at the article again, it didn't state that the clamps were made in the countries I listed but instead it said they were assembled in those countries.

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Need More Clamps

Originally posted by meika123
                              WHAT!! THAT IS BLASPHEMY!! You don't need any more clamps? Everyone always needs more clamps.

Dave in NC
                              Like everyone else, I NEED more clamps. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to enlarge the garage to house them if I buy any more. Thanks for your concern, though. Also, I'm glad there is no controversy here - I was beginning to think you guys were getting upset and I didn't want to cause that. :-)
                              Richard
                              Richard

Comment

Working...