X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I put ONE together last night, and as promised, here are the results.

First, I thought everyone was jerkin' ma chain about how long in takes to put one together. I started a little before 8...finished a little before 10. Ripping the wood to the correct size was the fastest part of the whole thing.

I like these units, even though the instructions were a little vague in some places and absolutely wrong in others. I think I got the HF instructions instead of the Delta set.

3/4 ply glued up is obviously still a little thin...not quite 1/5", but manageable. I drilled through the face instead of the plys, figured it would be a little stronger. Instead of using the directions, I put the ends on the floor in front of the 3100 and worked out the measurements that way. I also assembled slightly out of order to make it easier (why put the wheels on it and then tell me to lay it flat on the floor?).

I'm very pleased with these at this price. However, I wouldn't pay list for them. For the same money (list), I could get something like the HTC or a Craftsman all metal unit.

The only other thing is that I will wait to build the other two until I have some hardwood. I'm probably going to rebuild the one under the 3100 with hardwood as well. I think the plywood is okay for lighter tools, but I don't like how some of my drilling of the holes came out.

All in all, great for the money. If you can snag the deal, get it...otherwise I would probably stick with the all metal units.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• buckeye
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2003
      • Howell, MI, USA.

What is the max dimension that this thing can be extended? I would like to use one on an older craftsman jointer that I'm guessing is around 4' long.
      The truth is not always popular but it is always right.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

According to the specs at Amazon, you can go to 30"x30" with oak rails or runners. I wonder if this means that you could go longer if you narrowed it up?

I'm planning on putting one on my Delta jointer as well...hope it will work. I think the stand will fit in the 30"x30" range.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by JSUPreston
          According to the specs at Amazon, you can go to 30"x30" with oak rails or runners. I wonder if this means that you could go longer if you narrowed it up?
          I got the Rocklers (same setup) and I've got one under my Ridgid jointer and Delta BS using nothing but 2x material and it works just fine.

Originally posted by buckeye
          What is the max dimension that this thing can be extended? I would like to use one on an older craftsman jointer that I'm guessing is around 4' long.
          Theoretically, there really isn't a limit. The longer you make it, the stronger the supporting members will have to be. Go with 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" 1/8" wall square steel tube and you could probably make it 30' long.

Since the weight is actually supported at the 4 corners, provided the machines base is solid and rack free, I've found that 2x material worked fine for my jointer base which is probably 30"-ish long. The main place that you'll see a problem is with the swivel caster as it mounts in the center of one of the cross members, this is gonna be the member that's going to experience the most flex, so I try to position the swivel on the shortest member.
          Last edited by Thom2; 08-01-2007, 09:51 AM.
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• ksum
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by buckeye
            I probably have the same jointer. An older model with a long narrow base. I was thinking of replacing the 2 old, small casters someone put on it with the base, then thought that I might want 4 wheels when I move that particular piece. Otherwise I would have a triangle where 2 legs are about 4' and the other is only about 18"-20" It is a top-heavy beast and I am not sure I feel secure with that. Has anyone used one on a narrow tool before?

The Timmonium MD store had a few in yesterday, but I forgot the receipt so I have not tried a price match.

Comment

• madera
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2006

Delta 50-345 mobile base

I picked up two for $12 each at my local Lowes in Louisville, KY.
              Thanks for the heads up!!
              JRod

Comment

• buckeye
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2003
                • Howell, MI, USA.

My local Lowes had 2 in stock but were marked at $29.99 and that's also what came up at the register. I talked to the manager on duty and showed him a copy of the scanned receipt from here. He went and checked his computer and said he could not go lower than $15 because his cost was $20. I said that's fine and can now make my tiny workshop a lot more usuable.
                The truth is not always popular but it is always right.

Comment

• jgscott987
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Greensboro, NC, USA.
                  • BT3100 +

I stopped by my local Lowes today and found one on the clearance table marked down to $50. I showed the manager the receipt for $12, but couldn't get them to come off the price at all.

Said that individual stores set prices on clearance items...

Comment

• kevincan
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Central Illinois
                    • Craftsman 21829

I stopped in the Lowes near me and they had one on the shelf at the regular price ($59). It seems to be hit or miss with their clearance items.

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

I got lucky - I paid $29.99 at the end of June. When I took it back for the price match of $12, the manager was working the returns.

He told me that normally he doesn't price match clearance - he knew that this was the last one he'd had (and he figured I might just return it) - so he said he would refund the difference and I said thank you very much.

Russ

Comment

• stormdog74
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2007
                        • Sacramento, CA
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Stopped by the Lowes in Sacramento and they had it on clearance - for $55! I think that is only $5 off of the original price.

Comment

• MBG
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Chicago, Illinois.
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by stormdog74
                          Stopped by the Lowes in Sacramento and they had it on clearance - for $55! I think that is only $5 off of the original price.
                          Mine is at $50.....but, I finally scored a deal at my Lowes - got the 30" Biese $400 fence for $50.

Mike

Comment

• atomdawg
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2007
                            • chester county, pa

Some may still be in Downingtown, Pa store

Saw 3 or 4 in the Downingtown, PA store earlier in the week...marked at $12.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by MBG
                              Mine is at $50.....but, I finally scored a deal at my Lowes - got the 30" Biese $400 fence for $50.

Mike
                              Score! I'll trade ya a few of those bases . . . .

Comment

• plarval
                                Established Member
                                • Apr 2004
                                • Akron, Ohio, USA.

Thanks

It took some traveling, but I ended up with three of these bases today. Thanks. I did find a fourth, but the had a price tag of $32.50 on it. I showed them the receipt from the other store, and they still wouldn't budge. Oh well, it's not like I can complain.

Comment

Working...