• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

WHAT??! WHAT??? noise cancelling earmuffs $16 w/ free ship

Free standard shipping at a pretty decent price, lower than usual anyway.

NOTE: you do not have to fill out order to $25 to get free shipping; it is free standard (not supersaver) shipping.
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I got a pair of noise-canceling phones, and my wife mysteriously disappeared...

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      I got a pair of noise-canceling phones, and my wife mysteriously disappeared...
      ROFLMAO
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I own a pair of those. EXCELLENT muffs.
        Larry

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Fantastic -- I've been meaning to pick these up. Thanks for the tip!
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• p8ntblr
            • Jan 2007
            • So Cal
            • Craftsman 22114

I have a similar pair. They work great but man my ears start to sweat after while .
            -Paul

Comment

• gad5264
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Thanks for posting. I have been looking at these and now I will have a pair in 3-5 business days.
              Grant
              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I recommend these that i bought at woodcraft. minimal contact, very light with great effect.

Somehow I found it puzzling that (true to the claim) it massively reduced the sound of the router/saw, but still allowed me hear somebody call me at regular volume (of course when the said router/saw was not running); no complaints - am happy with it.

edit : i tried some other type with the regular muffs earlier, and found myself sweating and uncomfortable around the ears.
                Last edited by radhak; 06-30-2007, 11:07 AM.
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Back up to $19 already.
                  Very confusing product description on Amazon - they describe about three different models in the same paragraph including one with a radio.
                  I have a pair of the Noise limiting headphones from HF. Worked OK when it worked. It has a microphone and replays outside sounds to the muffs as long as they are not to high. When they exceed a certain value, they instantly turn off and you just hear what the muffs attenuate which is about 25-27 dB reduced. But in mine the threshold seems to be broken, it either plays everything or nothing, so I just leave them off and have just the reduction now. It was nice being able to hear soft sounds when the saw was off and the muffs on but...
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

What I'd really like to see is a set of headphones that cancels everything over a certain threshold AND pipes in sounds from a microphone placed in the house. (Kids room, kitchen, etc). That way I could hear my wife or kids calling even when I'm using the router...

Anything like that out there for a reasonable price?
                    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                      What I'd really like to see is a set of headphones that cancels everything over a certain threshold AND pipes in sounds from a microphone placed in the house. (Kids room, kitchen, etc). That way I could hear my wife or kids calling even when I'm using the router...

Anything like that out there for a reasonable price?

You could get an FM radio equipped Muffs and get a short-range FM transmitter to pipe yourself sound from the house be it the kids or the audio system in the house.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Question for current users of active noise cancelling units. So if you fire up a router does it then block all sound or does it just allow sounds below a certain volume to come through?

Comment

• Anna
                          • Feb 2006
                          • CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I have two of these. It's not going to totally block all sounds, which is a good thing because you do want to know what's going on with your tools. It will reduce a lot of the high-pitched whine of the motors, leaving the lower ranges which are not as painful to the ears. You can also hear people talk at normal volumes, but not really very well nor very clearly. It is clear enough for when they shout a warning, though.

Been using these while mowing the lawn, too.

I also have a true noise-cancelling pair-of-muffs that actively cancel outside sounds and can be plugged into an iPod or other MP3 players. It works pretty well when you're playing something (especially during a flight), but on its own (unplugged from a music device) you can hear "white noise" in the background. I also won't recommend these in the workshop. In my opinion, it's not a great idea to have your mind preoccupied with something else while a piece of metal running at 25000 rpm is just a few inches from your fingers, and you can't even hear the thing going.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                            Question for current users of active noise cancelling units. So if you fire up a router does it then block all sound or does it just allow sounds below a certain volume to come through?

Those that use active noise cancelling attempt to mix in a negative signal into a non-sealed headphone that balances out the noise signal. But they can only do it so well say 95% so what you hear is like 5% of the original sound pressure signal. Then 95% or so many dB is the reduction of noise from a noise cancelling unit. It will try to cancel everything including background noise and someone speaking to you.

The ones that use threshhold, have sealed muffs that will block so many dB (typically about 25 to 27) of the sound so you just hear a greatly reduced everything. But they have a microphone pickup outside and will play the sounds in the room for you so you can hear everything at normal levels including a whisper that you hear w/o the phones. Sounds like listening over a telephone or maybe thru a tube. But if the noise exceeds a certain threshold, then the sound to the earphones is cut off and falls to dead silence except for whatever comes thru the muffs. There's a knob you adjust when the tool is running so it just cuts off the sound. When you turn off the tool then you'll hear the room sounds again.

The difference is that the NC phones use electronics to cancel noise with unsealed phones and the Threshold phones use sealed muffs to stop the noise and electronics to let you hear soft sounds.

Two different approaches.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • IL, USA.
                              • DELTA 36-675

I have the Shure E3C in-ear noise canceling headphones, they work great and I wear it when I am running machines specially the router, shopvac and the dust collector. I like listening to music on them, although I don't know how they are compared to the Bose noise canceling headsets because I have yet to use one.

Chris
                              Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...