X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I picked up one of these things using the coupon yesterday... tried it out and almost dropped the thing - it shook/vibrated a lot with the bit in it and darn near shook itself out of my hand. Took the bit out, seemed smooth that way. Put a different bit in... vibration city. Looking at it, I could see the bit wasn't rotating straight - like the collet hole was drilled at an angle. Went back to HF this morning... Nancy saw me and said "oh, two days in a row this time... and you have something in your hands. Uh-oh... what's wrong?" They swapped it without any hassle of course. The replacement seems fine.

I plan on using this thing with a small roundover bit to ease edges of bandsaw box drawer slots mostly. I tried it on my experimental BS box (1st one...) and it was easy to control, didn't want to tip, and worked well enough. I just wish it had soft-start.

mpc

Comment

• glenns5900
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2007
      • Longmont CO
      • Mao Shan TSC10L

It looks like I stirred up a bit of contraversy by posting this. I stopped by HF and picked up one of these and the router speed control for $9.95. The router seems to be ok and runs smooth with a 1/2" round over bit in it. (Although I didn't actually try doing a cut with it). I just wanted to see if the bit centered and there was very little vibration. I did have a slight bit of trouble getting the bit out after loosening the collet nut. The collet is tapered like most other routers, but only has one slot down the side of it. I found that removing the bit is easiest by removing the nut, putting the wrench on the shaft and then just grasping the top (largest end) of the collet with a pair of pliers lightly and giving it a twist. It then pops right out. The edge guide that comes with it seems a bit flimsy and there is an edge guide with a roller for trimming countertops. The roller does not have ball bearings and wobbles a bit. It's held on the bracket with a screw with a shoulder that fits inside the roller. For what it is and the price it doesn't seem too bad. I'll try it out next weekend when I have more time in the shop.

The reason I picked up the speed control is that I also have an old Hitachi Homelife series (RED) router. I believe it is an antique now. I bought it at an auction many years ago for $15. It looked like it had never been used when I bought it and it came with the storage case, collets for 1/4" and 3/8" and both wrenches. It's nice to have control over the speed on this one now. *** NOTE: the instructions on this say that it won't work with a router that has soft start. I took it apart to look inside and it is basically a big SCR strapped to the metal back of the box (heat sink) with a knob controlling the gate. It also has a 3 position switch on the box (Full on, OFF, Variable). It is also fused with a 3AG 15A fuse under a screw on cap.
      Last edited by glenns5900; 06-11-2007, 02:05 AM.
      ------------
      Don't do anything in life that would cause the minister to have to lie at your funeral.

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by glenns5900
        It looks like I stirred up a bit of contraversy by posting this.
        I like the idea, I do think there's a place for some inexpensive tools, and I wasn't trying to warn people away. Just suggesting that they be aware of potential for danger, particularly if they don't know much about collet theory and when a bit is in properly or not.

It's also very possible that quality control issues mean wide variance in the actual units people have, with router newbies unlikely to spot potential trouble.

In other words, the more experience somebody has, the less likely they are to generate 'trim router excitement'.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by glenns5900
          It looks like I stirred up a bit of contraversy by posting this.
          Not at all. It's just a good reminder that, particularly at HF, the buyer must beware. There are lots of great values there, but also a mountain of junk.

Caveat emptor.

JR
          JR

Comment

• GaryA
            Established Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by JR
            Not at all. It's just a good reminder that, particularly at HF, the buyer must beware. There are lots of great values there, but also a mountain of junk.

Caveat emptor.

JR
            Agreed...I personally have stayed away from the HF electric tools (with the exception of the bandsaw - and not that there's not any other good ones out there) after a bad experience with the cutout tool. Plenty of other things I go in there for though. The $15 trim router deal is tempting just to have a spare for roundovers...but I'm pulled back in with the thought of safety and a high speed spinning bit in a tool with potential collet issues. I'll save up for the Bosch Colt...
            Gary

Comment

• Zenaca
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Idaho

I picked one up this weekend with the cupon . Got it home and tried it out on some MDF with a roundover bir and a spiral upcut bit , both worked finr with no woble or slippage of either bit. The only problem i had was getting the bits out of the collett but that i can live with better than slip or wobble.

Over all seems to be a pretty decent deal for $14!

Bud

Comment

Working...