• Show
Clear All
  • glenns5900
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Longmont CO
    • Mao Shan TSC10L

HF 1/4" Trim Router $14.99 ($23 off) coupon & more

I just got an email from Harbor Freight with some pretty nice prices. The coupons are good through 6/13/07.

Here is a link to the coupon for the trim router (reg $37.99 - now $14.99).
    I'm not sure about the quality, but even at this price if it goes haywire you could just toss it in the recycle bin.

Also in the same adv was a coupon for a router speed control for $9.99 discounted from $19.99

Surprise ! The link for the online (non email) version works.....
    Last edited by glenns5900; 06-08-2007, 12:11 AM. Reason: Added coupon exp date.
    ------------
    Don't do anything in life that would cause the minister to have to lie at your funeral.
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Not bad, a $30 mobile base.

The trim router may be worth a gamble at $14.99.

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Good post! Always great to see HF coupons.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• thallikar
        Established Member
        • May 2006

How good is this trim router?

Comment

• Flatlander
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Illinois
          • BT3100

There was a review in wood magazine this month on trim routers and the grizzly was the best buy at $40. I've looked at the manuals on both the grizzly and the HF and they look the same. The only thing not included on the HF is the template guide.

Here is the link to the grizzly:
          H7791 1/2 HP Trim Router The great dedicated router for a single job. Back in the day the H7791 Trim Router was celebrated as an award-winning tool. It was described as light and easy to hold, perfect for one-handed use. As a dedicated router for one specific job, such as rounding over edges, the H7791 will save you time and effort. This tool is supplied with a 1/4" collet for use with 1/4" shank router bits. The H7791 will accept router bits up to a 1-1/8" diameter. Includes micro-adjustable guide bearing, fence, 3/8" guide bushing and collet wrenches. Like all Grizzly machines, the H7791 comes with a 1-year warranty which covers parts and assures the unit is free from factory defects. (Consumables are not covered by the warranty.) The H7791 manual was written by our U.S. based Technical Documentation Department and is packed with useful information. The Grizzly Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are U.S. based. Parts and accessories for the trim router may be available online and shipped from the Grizzly parts warehouse in Springfield, MO. SPECIFICATIONS: Motor: 1/2 HP, 110V, 1.7A No-load speed: 30,000 RPM Collet size: 1/4" Maximum bit diameter: 1-1/8" Weighs approximately 4 lbs. FEATURES: Low noise and vibration Clear base plate Rack-and-pinion height adjustment Curved trim guide

I checked woodmagazine.com, and couldn't find anything about the review.

Comment

• foneman
            Established Member
            • Jul 2003
            • kansas, USA.

i have one

Originally posted by thallikar
            How good is this trim router?
            I have had one of those trim routers for a couple years. I primarily use it with a roundover bit to soften the edges on my woodworking projects. I used some acrylic and made a larger base so it is more stable. It works well for me and has not given me any problems. Somewhere I read that these units have limited cooling capacity and should not be run for extended periods without cooling off. The heat causes the springs on the brushes to weaken and the router could quit. A simple fix would be to replace the brushes. I have not had any problems like that though.

I will be buying another one for 15 bucks just to eliminate having to change bits.
            john

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

I have one of the trim routers. I have a tough time keeping a bit tight in the collet. Perhaps I just got a bad one.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Santa Clarita Calif.
                • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

I have had this router for several years and it works great and has plenty of power. The only problem that I have had is that the height adjusting knob was turning on the shaft so I drilled a small hole through the knob and shaft and inserted a roll pin, good as new now. I paid $20 so $15 is a steal.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by ragswl4
                  I have one of the trim routers. I have a tough time keeping a bit tight in the collet. Perhaps I just got a bad one.
                  I went thru 3 of these before giving up. All of them wobbled, none would rotate concentrically.

Comment

• gwyneth
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by ragswl4
                    About seven years ago, a straight bit came out in the middle of using mine...by some miracle it headed away from me, the electric cord, and the window and "just" ricocheted off the wall. Single scariest episode with power tools I ever went through, by far.

Comment

• prd
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006
                      • SF Bay Area, California

Originally posted by gwyneth
                      About seven years ago, a straight bit came out in the middle of using mine...by some miracle it headed away from me, the electric cord, and the window and "just" ricocheted off the wall. Single scariest episode with power tools I ever went through, by far.
                      My FIL works at HF. I asked him what tools to avoid, or what tools he sees frequently returned. His reply, anything that takes electricity and uses something sharp and deadly like a bit or a blade.
                      30,000 rpm for $15 just doesn't compute. I'll stick with my Bosch.
                      --PRD

Comment

• wouldchuck
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2005
                        • Richmond, VA, USA.

Originally posted by prd
                        My FIL works at HF. I asked him what tools to avoid, or what tools he sees frequently returned. His reply, anything that takes electricity and uses something sharp and deadly like a bit or a blade.
                        30,000 rpm for $15 just doesn't compute. I'll stick with my Bosch.
                        --PRD
                        OK, now you've got me nervous. Actually, my problem with this unit has not been with the bit slipping, but with getting the bit out at all. With no self-releasing collet, it's near impossible to remove a straight 1/4" bit. I bought this router after reading a magazine article about "tuning up your trim router", and I was able to get it to cut straight and true without wobbling. Right now I just keep a 1/4" roundover bit in there all the time for quickly taking sharp edges off of work that doesn't need to be too "purty", but it's probably not worth the trouble.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

I have the trim router, and have not had any trouble. The base and height adjustment are a little cheesy, but I just keep a 1/8" roundover bit with bearing chucked in it to use for easing edges. Works fine for that, and I have better routers for other tasks. The mobile base is actually just four corners... you have to supply the connector rods. I wouldn't recommend them for your heaviest tools, but they're fine for the lighter stuff.

Comment

• gwyneth
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by wouldchuck
                            OK, now you've got me nervous. Actually, my problem with this unit has not been with the bit slipping, but with getting the bit out at all. With no self-releasing collet, it's near impossible to remove a straight 1/4" bit.
                            It's entirely possible that I didn't put the bit in exactly right. Since it's been so long ago, I don't remember the way the collet structure is put together but vaguely recall the terrible diagram and trouble getting the bit out. I was also fairly new to tools then, and no matter what else you can say, good or bad, about HF tools, the one thing they are not is fool-proof, in the most literal sense of the word.

I do not think this was a sudden failure (i.e., collet flying apart) but an assembly issue (HF's and or mine). I believe the thing flew out either when initially contacting the workpiece or after power-on when it reached full speed.

My then-fiancee was a doctor. He was in the laundry room when he heard the commotion (there was probably an involuntary scream on my part and some excitement powering off the thing). His first thought was that an unknown number of heart attacks in overweight, middle-aged men may be triggered by "tool excitement".

Comment

• lguay
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Corona del Mar, CA
                              • BT3100

I just bought the trim router two weeks ago for $19.99 on sale before this sale. I took it home and tried to use it. The collet would not stay tight on the bit, the bit slipped several times. The little plastic gear for raise and lowering the base broke after the second time I tried to adjust it. I gave up and took it back. I thought it was junk. I agree, anything that can throw a bit at you is not a good idea.

Comment

Working...