Starrett 505A-12 Protractor - $29.52

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-505A-...8666315&sr=8-1
    -Paul
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

While that is an excellent price by most vendors' standards, the reviews on this gadget suggest that it's not a good buy at any price -- at least not if you intend to use it for fine woodworking.
    Larry

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

I bought one of these for my remodel, thinking it would help with the trim work. I bought it even after reading the Amazon reviews, where about 20% of the reviewers complain about inaccuracy.

The one I got is off by a degree on the miter scale...or maybe it's the other scale. When the primary scale reads 90 degrees, the miter scale reads 44..or is it 46...?

Point is, the thing takes too much extra thought and doesn't make the job easier.

The price is good, but I think it's a roll of the dice whether the one you get will be accurate & usefull.
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
        While that is an excellent price by most vendors' standards, the reviews on this gadget suggest that it's not a good buy at any price -- at least not if you intend to use it for fine woodworking.
        Larry, you're right, the reviews of the Starret and the Dinali aren't great. Happen to know any that get better reviews?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Accuracy of protractor (like Denali)

Originally posted by mschrank
          I bought one of these for my remodel, thinking it would help with the trim work. I bought it even after reading the Amazon reviews, where about 20% of the reviewers complain about inaccuracy.

The one I got is off by a degree on the miter scale...or maybe it's the other scale. When the primary scale reads 90 degrees, the miter scale reads 44..or is it 46...?

Point is, the thing takes too much extra thought and doesn't make the job easier.

The price is good, but I think it's a roll of the dice whether the one you get will be accurate & usefull.
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...e+denali+wixey

I refer you to the above post I made last year where I tested the Wixey tilt indicator agaist the denali protractor and both against several drafting triangles.

The triangles were quite consistent leading me to believe they were correct. The Wixey, set to zero proceeded to measure +/-0.0° gainst all the standard angles (0, 30, 45, 60 and 90) while the Denali was off by 0 to -.1° (see the chart in the referenced post).

I then used the wixey and the denali against each other at a variety of in-between angles over 180° and plotted the difference. While there's no telling which was absolutely correct at any given angle they did track each other to better than 0.5°. I'm slightly inclined to believe the Wixey was better because of the protractor tests, but the difference curve, while small, is puzzling in its shape.

At no time did I see any errors anywhere as large as a degree. My measurement techniques are pretty good.

The denali with its digital readout and 0.1 degree resolution and observed accuracy, I am inclined to believe must be better than the starret with its small dial gauge marked in what appear to be degree increments - the resolution of reading cannot be much better than 0.5 degrees.

BTW I paid $24 for the Denali last year when alerted on bargain alerts. The HF digital protractor looks indentical to the Denali except for color and markings - all the other details match. I've seen that on sale as low as $19.99.
          HF:
          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94694
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

HF vs denali protractors

If you ask me, that's more than just a copy... only the paint has been changed to protect the innocent.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by cgallery
              Larry, you're right, the reviews of the Starret and the Dinali aren't great. Happen to know any that get better reviews?
              The best reviews I've seen lead to the Bosch. But at 3 times the cost I would hope it's 3 times as good.
              http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DWM40L-1...8738128&sr=8-1
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Floral Park, NY
                • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by jussi
                The best reviews I've seen lead to the Bosch. But at 3 times the cost I would hope it's 3 times as good.
                http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DWM40L-1...8738128&sr=8-1

It is.

I also bought the Denali and compared it to my bosch digital angle finder, my starret straight edge, my starret level's edge and my Johnson level edge. Testing the Deanil at 180 degrees against the bosch and the straight edges of the other tools, the denaili failed miserably by my standard. Off 1 degree for 12" span.

Setting it at 180 on it's digital scale and placing it on the edge of each of my levels allowed me to stick three playing cards underneath it at center.

Those that don't test it against other credible equipment will think it's fine but that 1 degree multiplys considerably over a longer run which, to me, is unacceptable. Other Amazon reviews have indicated the same problem but I have only myself to blame.

If you need it for only really rough carpentry it should be ok, but if your looking for critical miter angles or what not, I would pass.

Good Luck,
                Greg

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  I refer you to the above post I made last year where I tested the Wixey tilt indicator agaist the denali protractor and both against several drafting triangles.
                  I remember that original post. And I had decided I'd pick one of the HF units up when I got a decent coupon. And a coupon was posted here yesterday. And I was going to HF today for something else. The stars were aligning!

But I had second thoughts. I thought perhaps you got lucky and got a good one. I think it is still very possible that other users aren't testing their protractors correctly. But that wouldn't explain why they find discrepancies between the Denali and the Bosch.

Comment

Working...