Best HF add in a while

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LCHIEN
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2002
    • 22085
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

    #16
    Originally posted by LarryG
    That's it, right there -- also that the larger the gauge (smaller numerically), the longer the maximum length of the nail will generally be. That is, you can get 2-1/2" nails for a 16ga finish nailer but I don't think you'll find any 23ga pins (or a gun to drive them) that long.

    I have a 2-1/2" 16ga finish nailer, an 18ga brad nailer, and a 1/4" narrow-crown stapler. In the shop, the brad nailer gets the most use by far. I don't own a 23ga nailer, but I know that a lot of guys like them because they leave a virtually invisible hole, and can be used on delicate stock that even an 18ga brad nailer would split all to pieces.
    The size of the crater (entry hole) it leaves behind for me is important.
    And as Larry pointed out the length of the nail.
    In the gun itself the striker travel and force vary, thus the guns for bigger nails are themselves physically bigger and bulkier because of strength, piston size, and the air reservoir size.

    Obviously, big nailers for big jobs.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

    Comment

    • John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • 2034
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

      #17
      Originally posted by sweensdv
      How about the pin nailer, anyone have this? According to the website it takes 5.5 CFM @ 90psi to run this nailer which seems excessive to me. Does it really need a high output compressor to run it?
      I have it and love it! I am using the 5 Gal 115 PSI Twin Tank compressor http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42321 and my larger 21 gal compressor. Works great with both.
      John Hunter

      Comment

      • sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 2873
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

        #18
        I picked up the pin nailer this afternoon and it works just fine with my pancake compressor and for $17 it's quite the bargain. The hardest part will be remembering to up the psi output of my compressor to 90 psi every time I use the nailer.

        I should also state that I'm not real impressed with the cheesy trigger safety that this nailer has. It consists of a bar that is pushed out of the way of the trigger when the nailers head is depressed against the wood. It works alright but if the bar ever gets bent I could see where the nailer could fire just by pulling the trigger.
        _________________________
        "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

        Comment

        • tsbrewers
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 207

          #19
          Originally posted by sweensdv
          I should also state that I'm not real impressed with the cheesy trigger safety that this nailer has. It consists of a bar that is pushed out of the way of the trigger when the nailers head is depressed against the wood. It works alright but if the bar ever gets bent I could see where the nailer could fire just by pulling the trigger.
          Yup, personally I just remove it completely, that way it can't get bent.

          Work better that way, don't have to worry about the nose being pressed in if you are trying to use it in a funky place.

          Brew

          Comment

          • JJO
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • 135
            • Illinois, USA.

            #20
            Any HF coupons out there?

            Haven't see the usual 10 or 15% off HF coupons in a while. That would help. Any source for one? Thanks.
            jerry

            Comment

            • jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • 2638
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

              #21
              Haven't see the usual 10 or 15% off HF coupons in a while. That would help. Any source for one? Thanks.
              The ad has a 10% off on entire purchase coupon. It also shows 36" aluminum bar clamps (the beam style) for $6.99.

              I just returned with a sander, clamps, the pin nailer, and lots of abrasives. They had hard-to-find 9" discs for my combination belt disk sander that I could not resist.

              Comment

              • p8ntblr
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2007
                • 921
                • So Cal
                • Craftsman 22114

                #22
                what do you think about the corner clamps? Are they useful?
                -Paul

                Comment

                • jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 2638
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

                  #23
                  I'd rather pay a bit more and buy better quality used corner clamps (Craftsman or Stanley) on eBay. the HF variety seem a bit flimsy.

                  Comment

                  • leroy37921
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2005
                    • 33
                    • franklin, tn, USA.
                    • BT3100

                    #24
                    Is the 23g more of a standard than the 21g that WC has on sale occasionally?

                    Comment

                    • LCHIEN
                      Super Moderator
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 22085
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

                      #25
                      Originally posted by leroy37921
                      Is the 23g more of a standard than the 21g that WC has on sale occasionally?
                      yeah, I think so - There's a couple of the big brands, Senco/Accuset and PC, I believe that offer 23 ga. pinners. No one doing 21 ga. that I know of.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                      Comment

                      • sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 2873
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

                        #26
                        Loring, Woodcraft sells a 21 gauge pin nailer made by EZ-Fasten. It sells for $129.99.
                        _________________________
                        "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

                        Comment

                        • Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 3822
                          • York, PA, USA.
                          • 22124

                          #27
                          You actually made me get mine out of my office waste basket.

                          My ad number is #133-1AA. Is that what you guys are looking at? Where is the pin nailer?

                          Thanks!

                          Comment

                          • LCHIEN
                            Super Moderator
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 22085
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

                            #28
                            Originally posted by sweensdv
                            Loring, Woodcraft sells a 21 gauge pin nailer made by EZ-Fasten. It sells for $129.99.
                            That woodcraft item is the only 21 ga pinner i have heard of, it takes up to 1-3/16 headless pins and headed brads. By the text i assume its positioned to be between the brad nailers and pinners. That was the one Leroy was aksing about.


                            Headless 23 ga. pinners, a quick search on the net shows you can buy them from
                            Craftsman
                            Grex
                            Spotnail
                            Bostich
                            Senco/Accuset
                            Porter Cable
                            HF
                            probably others, too. And they all seem to take 1/2, 3/4 and 1" headless pins.

                            So the answer to Leroy is, the 23 ga seems to be more of a standard.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-08-2007, 12:52 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                            Comment

                            • John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • 2034
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                              You actually made me get mine out of my office waste basket.

                              My ad number is #133-1AA. Is that what you guys are looking at? Where is the pin nailer?

                              Thanks!
                              page 18 bottom right
                              John Hunter

                              Comment

                              • Jeffrey Schronce
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 3822
                                • York, PA, USA.
                                • 22124

                                #30
                                Originally posted by John Hunter
                                page 18 bottom right
                                There is something wrong with me!

                                Thanks!

                                Comment

                                Working...