• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burg53
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2003
    • Hillsdale, NJ, USA.

PC Router at Lowes

Went to my local Lowes this evening to pick up some clearance-priced drawer slides. Well, there I was minding my own business when I came across a Porter Cable 1 3/4 hp fixed/plunge base soft start variable-speed router model 694VK reduced from $209.00 to $83.50. I don't know anything about this router but for this price it's hard to imagine that it's not a great deal. I assume that this price is available at other Lowes.

Les
  • teller2010
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Houston, TX, USA.

Seems to be a good deal. Amazon is selling for $194.70. Reviews are mixed, however.

Eric
    //Ryo-new-bi

Comment

• xli1
      Established Member
      • May 2006
      • Big Boston Area
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

That is really a good deal IMO. I got the fixed base 690 VS from Amazon for $113 after $30 credit from Chase Credit card. This one with both bases is really a bargain. Don't know if it is nation wide.
      http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com

Comment

• coach
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Forney, TX.
        • Powermatic 66

They went non-stock with that item. If there are any available in your local area, they are likely to be marked very reasonably.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Anyone have a stock or item number on this unit for Lowes?

I think this sounds like a great deal. I would not worry about those mixed reviews on Amazon. I mean some folks are giving 3 stars out of 5 just because both bases have bushing sized openings. If they out a large 3" opening on one of the bases then someone would have complained about that! Also as far as reviews one should take a look at the other configurations of the 694 kits and single base units for a broader scope of reviews.

Thanks
          Jeff
          Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 01-20-2007, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Austin, TX

The only above mentioned router at my local Lowe's was on display...complete with the info for ANOTHER model. Sat afternoon, no help in sight. Did pick up another half dozen drawer slides and a BandD storm center($30 on clearance). Interesting that all the heaters were on half price since we are in the middle of a cold snap.

Comment

• Woodwerker
              Established Member
              • Nov 2005

NO GO in Montgomeryville PA
              They had one in stock for $177.90 and would not budge on the price.
              Oh well can't get em all
              Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• Hank Scorpio
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2006
                • Lansdale, PA
                • Unisaw

Any chance you could post a copy of the receipt Les?

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Austin, TX

Speaking of Lowe's, here is my observation relating to clearance goodies. Things like the drawer glides are hidden in their original cubbies BUT, the closest store to me starts stocking the 'clearance aisle' on Friday night...great time to get first shot. Things get picked over during Sat but today, they were reloading with all sorts of heater/BBQ related items. Saturday evening brings the mega-deals on whatever is left. I've picked up a half-dozen CS blades for the clearance price of ONE and other such deals. Just talk to the guy with the Sharpie. The merch guy wants the stuff GONE and usually 'How much for all of these?' is just what they want to hear. Having over 30 Lowe's and 60 BORGs in the Atlanta area MAY have something to do with the clearance approach. Happy hunting!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

At that price i guess its a good deal but not a great deal.
                    The Porter Cable 694 VS is the latest upgrade which includes the variable speed/soft start electronic control but it still mostly the same basic router that they were selling 15 years ago.

Bosch 1617 and even PorterCable with their 890 series have improved on the basic router. I think porter Cable keep it in their lineup because of its old reputation and maybe the price point. But the new ones are so much nicer.

So for that price its good but I think the newer designs (including the dewalt 618 and some others) for more money offer better routers.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• newood2
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Brooklyn, NY.
                      • BT3100-1

Didn't find any 694VK at my Lowes but I saw a quantity of ten 9690LR marked as non-stacked for $80.00. Is that still a good buy?

Howie

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by newood2
                        Didn't find any 694VK at my Lowes but I saw a quantity of ten 9690LR marked as non-stacked for $80.00. Is that still a good buy?

Howie
                        Do you mean 690? If so, not really.

Comment

• Burg53
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Hillsdale, NJ, USA.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Jeff - I think the item # is 51597. Hank - I'm sorry but I don't have a scanner so I can't post the receipt.

Les

Comment

• xli1
                            Established Member
                            • May 2006
                            • Big Boston Area
                            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Today I went to lowes, and saw this kit for $83.60. I just can not resist it, although I already have a 690VS, but I think I still need another router . The price automaticly appear as that without adjustment. So I guess, now if you can find it in your local lowes, it will be the same clearance price. Base on my experience, the price shown at the register will be the nationwide price. Good luck hunting!
                            http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com

Comment

Working...