Craftsman Fixed and Plunge Base Router (Not Bosch Clone)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Craftsman Fixed and Plunge Base Router (Not Bosch Clone)

Craftsman Router Kit (11.0 amp, Soft Start, 12000-25000 RPM Variable Speed Motor, Fixed Base Included, Plunge Base Included, 2.0 hp, Spindle Lock, 3 LED Task Lights) --$109

What am I missing here? Granted it's a 1/4 hp less than the more desireable 2 1/4 kits but c'mon. Seems like an awful lot for the price. Not for nothing, but - to me- the motor housing looks a lot like the Bosch's and the plunge base - with those booties- reminds me of the Skil .

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfmg.0

"Variable speed, heavy-duty, permanently lubricated 100 percent ball bearing motor delivers 12,000-25,000 rpm. Soft start permits the motor rpm to slowly increase to the desired speed setting. Three integrated work lights clearly illuminate the work surface. Die-cast aluminum motor housing adds strength while limiting and reducing vibration. Choose either the standard fixed base or dual-arm plunge base with depth gauge, turret stop and machined arms for smooth up/downward motion which plunges up to 2-3/16 inches. Each base features large, clear, 6-11/16 in. sub-base with square edge on the plunge. Oversized debris shield and vacuum shield provide a clear sightline to the bit. Spindle lock allows for easy bit exchanges. Live tool indicator lights up when power connected. Router includes 1/4 iin. and 1/2 in. collets, edge guide, bit wrench, operators manual and storage case. Wt. 9.5 lbs."
    Catalog/Online Exclusive

• messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

Looks pretty interesting. I have not heard anything about that one though.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

This must be a new model. I haven't seen it before. Many of the Craftsman routers are made by TTI/Ryobi, but this doesn't look anything like the current Ryobi models.

The Ridgid model (also made by TTI) comes with two magnesium bases (fixed and plunge) and the motor has similar specs (but 2-1/4 hp) and has four integral LED work lights, but the castings and motor housing are shaped different. It also sells for $200; so, don't know who the manufacturer might me on this Craftsman model. Looks like a bargain for the price.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

in the past the inexpensive craftsman routers were made by ryobi, and both the ryobi and the craftsman routers had a reputation for problems, partciularly with setting and holding the height adjustments.

Thangs may change or they may not.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's the first I've seen of it. I"m a skeptic by nature. Even though my last two Craftsman purchases have been great acquisitions, I'd be cautious with a new offering. The price for the package seems good, but I'd be thinking that I could get a PC690 on sale (no plunge), or even the Hitachi combo set for around the same price....both have a good track record.

Oh wait!...what am I saying?! You guys are my guinnea pigs...what I meant to say was by all means go try one and let me know how it is!
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...