• Show
Clear All
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Anyone subscribe to Woodsmith?

Wasn't sure which forum to post this to, but since it involved a free copy of Woodsmith, decided it qualified for BA:-)

Does anyone subscribe, and if so how do you like it?

I'd been getting all sorts of subscription offers from them, then the freebie showed up. There's some cool shop projects, including a bandsaw tension QR.

FWIW, I also just got Jim Toplin's "The Toolbox Book", very cool, some great shop project ideas in there.
  • WayneJ
    • Jan 2004
    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I got my free copy also.was wondering the same thing. It looks interesting and you get a free year for the price of one.
    I also got another free drill index from the Handymam mag. I must have about 15 of them out in the shop, they don't give up.
    Wayne
    Wayne J

Comment

• MilDoc

Personally I like Woodsmith and ShopNotes. Gives me plenty of ideas for when I get better at woodworking!

Comment

• Deadhead
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
        • BT3100

You might be able to find some thread in Tool Talk about Woodsmith and magazines in general.

I subscribed to Woodsmith but let it expire. I found it interesting and liked not having to flip through ads. I still very much consider myself a noob, so most of the projects were beyond my skill level. If it's a good deal, definitely give it a try.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but it seems like the shop stuff just started showing up within the past 5 or 6 issues.
        "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
          • Nov 2004
          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
          • Delta Contractor Saw

I get several wood working magazines but Woodsmith and Shopnotes are my favorites also.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Woodsmith is one of my favorites.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Ditto. Woodsmith and Shopnotes are two of the best available.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MilDoc
                Personally I like Woodsmith and ShopNotes. Gives me plenty of ideas for when I get better at woodworking!
                I agree with the other posters, I lilke those two companion magazines very much. Very informative, Lots of good info and examples in a easy to read, well illustrated, keeper-quality, worth-saving edition.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stormbringer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Floral Park, NY
                  • Bosch 4000

ShopNotes is my fav. Gotta love the redisigned, more content look. Seems they are heavier on the tips and jigs than Woodsmith who are heavier on the more "advanced" so to say projects.

Both excellent depending on your skill leve IMHO of course

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

i subscribe to Woodsmith and Shopnotes, and collect older issues too (ebay is pretty useful here). All projects seem doable, and the detail in describing steps to a project/jig is unmatched by other magazines.

as for the free issue, i keep getting those even now, 6 months into my subscription! they have a bad database retrieval, seems like.

this time they even sent one to my wife (and she looked suspiciously at me to convey that she thought it was my doing... ) !
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• lrr
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Fort Collins, Colorado
                      • Ryobi BT-3100

I love the detail and LARGE diagrams in Shop Notes. I am building a small corner china cabinet for my daughter, and it is the most complex project I've tackled. But, it is coming out great. All the helpful hints in the magazine have really helped.

And I've also acquired a number of new tools because of it -- web clamps, a few new router bits, etc.

Lee

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

This is interesting, since I also received a recent free copy of Woodsmith. In addition, shortly before that, I received a mailer from ShopNotes for a promotion as well. So yeah- a coincidence? I'm wondering where they got my info? Rockler? Woodcraft? Not that it's a huge deal, just curious.

Comment

• Steelnsilk
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2007

Wives will do that.....

Look suspiciously at us.....After 33 years..Mine still does

Comment

• bert11
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Wayne, Ohio, USA.
                            • Now a Sears 21829

link?

Does anyone have a link to Shopnotes and Woodsmith?
                            If you\"re gonna be dumb
                            You gotta be tough

Comment

• wassaw998
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Atlanta, GA, USA.

WoodSmith/ShopNotes/WorkBench are from the same folks. They also run the WoodNet forum. I took ShopNotes for 2 years as it was highly recommended. I am definitely the lone wolf here, but, I did not like it. I guess my gripe is twofold; the articles are of things I'd never build, and the "reviews" seemed to just be sales pitches. (Which I felt was bad for a mag that does not have any ads - which you'd think meant they were unbiased). Anyways, I did not hate it, but, did not like it either ! I've looked through Woodsmith before, the theme is a bit different, but, it has the same feel.

You can find these at the big box stores so I'd recommend you check them out there before paying for a subscription. Also of note, when I dropped ShopNotes is that I keep getting this call from Flagstaff Az asking me to re-subscribe, they are really getting on my nerves.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...