• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edisonboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2002
    • Greenville, SC, USA.

HF Chicago Electric CMS... deal?

Is Chicago Electric a good company? if so the have there 10" Compound Miter Saw for $100 (normally $200) product # 90891-1VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...=POWER%20TOOLS

Let me know... thanks

Ed
  • edisonboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2002
    • Greenville, SC, USA.

sorry, saw that someone else saw this already... never mind haha

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

quote:Originally posted by edisonboy

Is Chicago Electric a good company? if so the have there 10" Compound Miter Saw for $100 (normally $200) product # 90891-1VGA

Let me know... thanks

Ed
      Not if it was the same saw where the blade guard broke resulting in the inujury of a forum member. I don't have anything positive to contribute about Chicago brand tools. CHEAP!
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• thiggy
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Alabama.
        • Craftsman Contractor

Chicago Electric is not a company. It is just the name that HF tags its Chinese manufactured power tools.
        SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

Some of their stuff is good, some is junk, some in between. I have no firsthand experience with the CMS, but based on what I've seen of the in-store demos and heard from others, I'd rate it a low "in between". Slides roughly and motor is underpowered.

I have the HF 3/4" SDS rotary hammer and love it, great tool. Search the forums for a list of some of their better items.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by edisonboy

Let me know... thanks

Ed
            Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic, Pittsburgh
            are trade names for their HF's electric tools, pneumatic tools, and hand tools, respectively.

I'm pretty sure they contract all their tools to different Chinese or Taiwanese factories and have those above names put on them, much like
            Sears puts "Craftsman" on all their stuff. But Sears is at least more fussy about their quality standards. HF is not so fussy as much as looking for the lowest price and that explains the wide variety of satisfaction levels people get from HF tools. Some come out real nice and others are really disappointing.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• achavez8
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2004
              • Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.

Danger Will Robinson!!!! Danger!!!
              Lowes has a Delta 10" Compound Miter on Clearence for $99 and another for $89 everyday. I know these are not sliders however they are good safe saws. Also for the price you pay you can use them and sell them later for what you paid. The HF one is most likley junk.
              Normally with HF stuff you get what you pay for it is very rare that something of theirs holds up.

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by achavez8

Danger Will Robinson!!!! Danger!!!
                Lowes has a Delta 10" Compound Miter on Clearence for $99 and another for $89 everyday. I know these are not sliders however they are good safe saws. Also for the price you pay you can use them and sell them later for what you paid. The HF one is most likley junk.
                Normally with HF stuff you get what you pay for it is very rare that something of theirs holds up.
                The latest HF flier has a Makita 10" CMS for $160: http://www.harborfreighttools.com/cp...temnumber=6328
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• silverfox
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Richland Center WI, USA.
                  • BT3100

The recent offering of a SCMS by HF is not a good tool. To make blanket statements, on the other hand, that all HF tools are cheap, won't hold up and/or are junk is unfair and untrue. I have several of the HF tools that are worth more than I paid for them.
                  Mike

Comment

• sd
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2003

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

Chicago Electric, Chicago Pneumatic, Pittsburgh
                    are trade names for their HF's electric tools, pneumatic tools, and hand tools, respectively.

Actually, Chicago Pneumatic is a reputable manufacturer of good quality air tools and is not one of Harbor Freight's brands. HF uses the name "Central Pneumatic" for their air tools.
                    -- Steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by sd

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

Chicago Electric, Chicago Pneumatic, Pittsburgh

Actually, Chicago Pneumatic is a reputable manufacturer of good quality air tools and is not one of Harbor Freight's brands. HF uses the name "Central Pneumatic" for their air tools.
                      You're right - My mistake. Fixed my post. ~Loring
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...