• Show
Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Ridgid Router Combo $159 down from $200

The Borg has the slick Ridgid fixed and plunge base combo on sale for $159. The little tag said 12/31/06 all by itself. Since that date hasn't occurred yet, I assume that's how long the deal is good until. YMMV

Has anybody actually purchased this set yet? The woodworking mag that had reviewed it a bunch of months pack made it out to sound pretty nice. Looking for actual user feedback.

Regards,
    Greg

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Du...mbo/index.html

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez...oolpreview.cfm
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

My local HD has it for $169. Still a good deal (15%, instead of 20%). Wish there were a few posts from experienced owners though.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've got that set and have used it for all of 5 minutes, but I really like it so far. It's my third router. 1st was a 1/2 horse Craftsman that is now in the router table. Second was a Skil I got with a table at Lowe's which got donated to New Orleans relief efforts. Both of those were very limited. The Ridgid is heavy, which makes it very solid. 1st route was perfect with the 1/4' collet and a Craftsman cove bit. I used the fixed base (I think). Overall impression is that it is very well made. When I got it earlier this year, the sales rep at BORG and I talked for several minutes debating this one over an equivalent PC or Dewalt and he recommended the Ridgid. Plus, I like the grips better than the PC. It takes PC bushings and bases, so it should work well for you. Also, if you register it (I FORGOT!!!) you get the lifetime service/parts warranty.

Dang it, now I want to go out to the shop. It's almost dried out from the storms.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
        • Aug 2005
        • Washington, NC USA
        • JET

Tom Hintz has a nice review of it here:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdr2900rvu.html

I've been waiting for it to go on sale. I'm gonna have to go check out my local Borg to pick one up.

Thanks for posting.
        Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• ChrisD
          • Dec 2004
          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Greg, thanks for the info.

Question: Where do I get an edge guide for it?
          The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by ChrisD
            Greg, thanks for the info.

Question: Where do I get an edge guide for it?
            Your welcome.

I would ask that over at the Ridgid Tools forum.

Greg

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

ChrisD,

The Porter-Cable edge guide that HD carries fits the Ridgid Router perfectly. I think it's priced around $16 or so. Likewise, many other P-C compatible accessories will fit the Ridgid.

CWS

Comment

• ChrisD
                • Dec 2004
                • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by cwsmith
                ChrisD,

The Porter-Cable edge guide that HD carries fits the Ridgid Router perfectly. I think it's priced around $16 or so. Likewise, many other P-C compatible accessories will fit the Ridgid.

CWS
                Thanks, CWS!
                The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

I just looked at this router tonight at HD. Very impressive. I had to pry the router sideways to get a view of the bottom to measure the holes. (I hate the way HD screws down everything -- how are you supposed to pick up a tool and see how it feels?) I did not know it was compatible with Porter-Cable. I thought it looked substantial, and I've become a big Ridgid fan. I bought their 6" jointer a few years ago, and have added miter saw, 15 ga. air nailer, belt sander (awesome!), and oscillating spindle sander (also great).

Now I'm not totally Ridgid (sorry ...), I did buy a DeWalt 13" planer, which is perhaps the finest tool I've ever purchased.

If I can ever move out of my basement shop, and have more room, I'm heading to the Powermatic dealer in town, once I win the lottery. I've had it with cheap tools!

BTW -- I just got a 10% off coupon in the mail from HD, so if you have their credit card, you may be getting one also. They seem to keep sending them to me at greater frequency, and I'm going broke buying stuff. But, looks like Friday will be my day to go get this router anyway ...

Lee
                  Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Lee,

Here are a couple of other reviews of the router, both quite postive:

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/Rid...KitReview.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdr2900rvu.html

CWS

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Can anyone tell me how this combo compares to the Bosch 1617 EVSPKE? I'm looking at something in that range, and this seems like a good alternative. I already have the Bosch bushing set, but I can sell that or something....

Comment

• lrr
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Fort Collins, Colorado
                        • Ryobi BT-3100

Bought it! (The Ridgid router 2-base combo). It was $169 here in Northern Colorado, but I did get to use my 10% off coupon.

My shop is starting to look like a Ridgid showroom ...

Since HD bolts them down, I couldn't appreciate the feel and overall impression of quality of this unit until I unpacked it and just held it awhile.

I also bought the new Dremel Stylus -- shaped like a .... glue gun?! I've got the 10.8 V Lithium model, plus an old Sears labelled Dremel, and a REALLY old Dremel single-speed model, plus a really crappy rotaty tool I bought at Harbor Freight (but the tools included made the $6.97 price seem fine). I think I should stop ... somebody PLEASE help me!
                        Lee

Comment

• Stormbringer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Floral Park, NY
                          • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by lrr

Lee,

Since HD bolts them down, I couldn't appreciate the feel and overall impression of quality of this unit until I unpacked it and just held it awhile.
                          Give us an update after you put some mileage on it. I really like the built in worklight. I never realized how handy that could come in till recently. Slick.

Enjoy,
                          Greg

Comment

• lrr
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Fort Collins, Colorado
                            • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                            Give us an update after you put some mileage on it. I really like the built in worklight. I never realized how handy that could come in till recently. Slick.

Enjoy,
                            Greg
                            Greg,

Will be happy to. I had planned to put the fixed base in my Rockler table, by drilling new mounting holes in current plate (it holds a Craftsman). Now I'm thinking of getting the Jess-Em Router Lift from Rockler, since the Ridgid is "Porter-Cable compatible" (I am assuming the PC motor is 3.5" in diameter, like the Ridgid, and therefore it should clamp in just fine.)

But, I've just gotta run this thing over some wood really soon! Maybe tomorrow. I spent all day raking leaves for the 2nd time this year. Time to get a house on property, with no fences, or maybe split-rail (so the wind blows all the leaves away). AND ... room for that monster above-ground shop.
                            Lee

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

This unit isn't on HD's website anymore. Do you think it's being phased out? Or possibly they're coming out with another model?

Comment

Working...