X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RagerXS
    • Feb 2003
    • Brookline, NH, USA.

66-PC Router Bit Set At Peachtree

From an e-mail I got today, and I don't know whether this is a great deal, good deal, or what as I've never ordered from Peachtree and have no idea how they got my e-mail address:

66 PIECE MASTER
    STARTER ROUTER BIT SET
    30% OFF $199.99

E-DIRECT PRICE $139.99
    A Savings Of $60.00

Excellent quality Carbide Tipped, anti-kickback router bits (larger sizes) with a high temperature coating. The largest, most inclusive carbide tipped router bit set we've ever offered at an amazingly low price (Less than $3.00 a router bit). The 66 high quality router bits in this new set will handle a vast number of project applications. Life Time Warranty!

* Comes in wooden display / storage case

Click Here For More Information ( http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_110306.htm )

Peachtree Woodworking Supply, Inc.
    "Your One Stop Supply Shop"
    Order Toll Free!! 1-888-512-9069
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Peachtree is a fairly reputable company as far as I know, but the router bits are more of an unknown...I never read about them anyway. It's likely that they are fairly average Asian made bits, which if true, makes that set pretty pricey compared to the good deals from Holbren and MLCS on well proven value grade bits.

Large sets often cost a fairly large sum of money ($140 in this case) ...you end up with a high quantity of lower grade bits, lots of duplicate type profiles, and many profiles that you will never use. There's some merit to the idea of going with a set, but if that's the path you want to take, get a much smaller set for alot less money and skip all the duplicate profiles.

Holbren offers a 24 piece set of 1/4" bits for $30, a 36 pc set of 1/4" for $60, and a 35 pc set of 1/2" bits for $100...all w/free shipping :
    http://holbren.com/product.php?produ...5&cat=0&page=1
    http://holbren.com/manufacturers.php...ection=&page=2

MLCS has a comparable quality 15 pc set for $40, plus a few others...also w/free s/h.

It's best to go with the 1/2" shanks if possible.

An alternative philosophy that I would choose for myself if I had it to do over, would be to get the 7pc Whiteside set of the most commonly used profiles for $88 shipped.....all top grade US made bits that will perform flawlessly and outlast the value bits. Then you can add more specialty profiles of lesser quality as needed. You'll end up with fewer bits of better quality overall for the same total dollar amount but you're more likely to use all the profiles.

http://holbren.com/home.php
    Last edited by Knottscott; 11-03-2006, 03:45 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• RagerXS
      • Feb 2003
      • Brookline, NH, USA.

I have the 66-PC MLCS bit set, not sure if it is still available, but the price was around $60 or $70 and I know it went up at least once since I got mine. I also have a few Holbren sets and have been happy with them all.

~ Fred

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by RagerXS
        I have the 66-PC MLCS bit set, not sure if it is still available, but the price was around $60 or $70 and I know it went up at least once since I got mine. I also have a few Holbren sets and have been happy with them all.

~ Fred
        So you want another 66pc "starter set"?
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• RagerXS
          • Feb 2003
          • Brookline, NH, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
          So you want another 66pc "starter set"?
          No way. Like I wrote in my first post, I got an e-mail touting the offer as a sale price so I figured I'd post it here. It's that simple.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

~ Fred
            I really don' t think the MLCS 66-pc set was ever that low ($60 or 70) because I know I'd have one at that price.
            The best price for the MLCS 66 piece set I ever saw was like $169 or something when they had a "water damage" sale and some of the boxes got a little wet. Since the introduction I think that set was $199 and currently on sale for $189.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-03-2006, 11:03 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

No way. Like I wrote in my first post, I got an e-mail touting the offer as a sale price so I figured I'd post it here. It's that simple.
              Ah...got it....no longer confused!

Comment

Working...