X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troz
    Handtools only
    • Oct 2006

Bosch 1617EVSPK w/Bonus Acc. & Freud 99-036 Bit Set: $174.02 shipped

Been waiting for a special on this, and the Freud Bit Set promotion pushed the order total over $300, allowing for an extra $50 off using the SAVEMORE coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...5?ie=UTF8&s=hi
  • wouldchuck
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Richmond, VA, USA.

Thanks for the tip on the Freud bit set. I just used it with the DeWalt 3-base router kit (see new post). I was already on the fence, and that pushed me right over!

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

It just amazes me how you guys work the system. Are there any other router bit promotions like this one? A set of T&G bits is pretty low on my list of needs.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

What's the Freud Bit Set promotion?

Edit: I tried to order the whole shebang on Amazon and it worked! One question, Does the Freud promotion apply to any other bit set? I don't really need a Tongue & Groove set as badly as I could use another set... Also, is there an expiration date on this?

Thanks!
        Last edited by BigguyZ; 10-18-2006, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Apparently the trick is to find a Freud accessory that brings the total cost to $300 where there's also an Instant Rebate equal to the whole amount. Why they'd give away the T&G bit set is beyond me but my out-of-pocket cost after using a bunch of reward certificates is $49.02. So now I've joined the ranks of routerholics anonymous with a total of four.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
            Edit: I tried to order the whole shebang on Amazon and it worked! One question, Does the Freud promotion apply to any other bit set? I don't really need a Tongue & Groove set as badly as I could use another set... Also, is there an expiration date on this?

Thanks!
            So far the T&G is the only bits that I see that can be had for free buy purchasing certain qualifying routers.

Comment

• JeremyM
              Established Member
              • May 2004

Soooo....

Is this the same as the old EVSPKE kit?

Is this a definite good buy for the Bosch, or could it be a bit better?

Just about to pull the trigger here...

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by JeremyM
                Soooo....

Is this the same as the old EVSPKE kit?

Is this a definite good buy for the Bosch, or could it be a bit better?

Just about to pull the trigger here...
                This appears to be almost identical to "E".

"E" has more router templates (3 v 1) and different dust collection attachments (though the current kit being discussed seems to have a better dust collection attachment as the "E" kits are pretty worthless).

Pull the trigger if you need the T&G or can sell the T&G to get your net cost of purchase down. Otherwise, another deal, possibly lower cost for the Bosch kit only will likely come along.

Comment

• buddyroo
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2006

Not sure what you mean by the necessity of adding a Freud accessory. Here's the math: The router kit is $231.02. The bit set is $69.99. Therefore the total is $301.01. By placing an order for Tools and Hardware of over $300 you get an instant savings of $50.00. BUT, you still get an instant 10% rebate of $7.00 on the bit set. $231.02 less $50 less $7 equals $174.02.

Effectively, you are getting the bit set for -$7.00. And even though you are getting the bit set for less than free, they are using the $69.99 price of the bit set to bring your total over $300 and allow you the $50 instant savings.

Originally posted by jackellis
                  Apparently the trick is to find a Freud accessory that brings the total cost to $300 where there's also an Instant Rebate equal to the whole amount. Why they'd give away the T&G bit set is beyond me but my out-of-pocket cost after using a bunch of reward certificates is $49.02. So now I've joined the ranks of routerholics anonymous with a total of four.

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                    "E" has more router templates (3 v 1) and different dust collection attachments (though the current kit being discussed seems to have a better dust collection attachment as the "E" kits are pretty worthless).
                    Jeffrey, the picture shows only one bushing, but the write-up says there are three included. Also, the one dust nozzle pictured is the same one I got with my "E" kit.

Assuming the dust nozzle that goes on the edge guide is the same (which it probably is???), this combo appears to be exactly the same as the "E" kit, to me.
                    Larry

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by buddyroo
                      Not sure what you mean by the necessity of adding a Freud accessory.
                      I was referring to the fact that in order for this deal to work, you had to buy something that brought total above $300 and yet the cost of the something got automatically rebated. I could see that the T&G bit set would work but never could find an explanation for the rebate. Since adding the T&G set reduced by out-of-pocket cost by $32 and I figured I could always use it as a slot cutter, why not?

A set of bits with 1/2" shanks would have suited me better, though. Most of my small collection is for a 1/4" collet.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

What type of applications would a T&G set have? I think that I'll definitely pounce on this when my paycheck comes around.... I might just end up selling the T&G on eBay, try to get a few bucks back...

Comment

• jackellis
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I can think of two. First, panel glue-ups where you're concerned about the strength of a butt joint. Second, for using solid wood to trim out the edges of plywood. You cut a groove in the edge of the plywood and a tongue in the back of the trim piece. Provides more strength than a plain butt joint without having to use nails.

I'm also thinking about unloading the T&G set when it arrives.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by jackellis
                            I was referring to the fact that in order for this deal to work, you had to buy something that brought total above $300 and yet the cost of the something got automatically rebated. I could see that the T&G bit set would work but never could find an explanation for the rebate. Since adding the T&G set reduced by out-of-pocket cost by $32 and I figured I could always use it as a slot cutter, why not?

A set of bits with 1/2" shanks would have suited me better, though. Most of my small collection is for a 1/4" collet.
                            I think that is what is leading to the confusion. It is not Freud accessories, rather it is this one specific bit set. The explaination is about half way down the page of the Freud Bit Set page.

Basically, it says you get those bits free if you purchase certain qualifying routers including the mentioned Bosch, Porter-Cable 7518 3-1/4 HP, DeWalt 3 Sub-Base, etc.

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Does anybody know when this promotion appeared? I just got my 1617 on Saturday and would like to have a free bit set if I could talk them into it.

BTW - it definitely appears that the EVSPKE is caput and the the EVSPK has been upgraded to displace it. I ordered the EVSPKE but the packing slip said EVSPK. It seemed to have most everything it was supposed to have, barring two of the three guide bushings. A call to Bosch got them in the mail to me.

JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...