Bot the DW618B3 at HDT, need a killer deal on bits.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buddyroo
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

Bot the DW618B3 at HDT, need a killer deal on bits.

Anyone have any suggestions? All I have now is a set of 24 Hickory 1/4" bits.
  • sbs
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • VA
    • BT3.1k

http://www.bladesnbits.com/product518_lastcat84.ihtml

I got their 30 pc 1/2" set when they had it on scratch and dent a while back. I can't find that set on their site now, but if you want a BIG set, this is a good deal.

Also see
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=24115

Comment

• GeekMom
      • Dec 2004
      • Bonney Lake, WA.
      • Shopsmith Mark V

I've been pleased with Brian Holbren's set of 35 bits, too. He has a 10% off coupon for BT3 members, too.
      Karen
      <><

Comment

• fcpjax
        Forum Newbie
        • Sep 2005
        • Jacksonville, Florida USA.
        • Frankensaw - dual Ryobi BT3000s

Holbren router bits

I ordered Holbren's 1/2" large set in April then discovered I only had two 1/4 inch routers....Shucks......Since the LOML gave the bit set to me for my birthday I couldn't return it how could I?

So I had to go buy a new 1/2 inch router to use the bit set I got from Holben. I love the set and would order again from Holbren the Bits and Service was Excellent. As anyone who reads this site knows....quit wasting your time looking and just buy from holbren.

Well here it is Oct and my poor old Riobi 1/4" router was just rusting away on my BT3K and I just could not stand it suffering like that anymore.
        You guessed it....I just got Holbren's 1/4" large bit set and now I am ready for almost anything.....Ha

By the way, I ordered the set by email and sent a check in for the bits.
        I am pretty sure I got the bits before Holbren got the check so again excellent service by Holbren....
        Bob Pepple
        Jacksonville, FL

Comment

• jseklund
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006

I have to put my vote in for Holbren's 35 piece set too. I just started this, have the same router you just bought (birthday present) and bought the 35 Piece 1/2" set to start with. I have been pleased. the pro here is that you get BT3 Renowned quality, and Holbren couldn't provide better service.

The 45 piece set for $90 linked to above is a great deal too. Either one would probably suit you fine. The pro here is more bits. Don't know about how it would stand up to the service/quality of Holbren though...I guess you'd be happy, but just a guess.
          F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Doug Jones
            Established Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Indiana
            • Delta 36-444

Originally posted by GeekMom
            I've been pleased with Brian Holbren's set of 35 bits, too. He has a 10% off coupon for BT3 members, too.
            This is also my choice set.

Comment

• Garasaki
              • Sep 2006

I got the whiteside set from Holbren.

Fewer bits, but all the basics. And I've heard people rave and rave about the quality of the Whiteside bits.

And, to be honest, I'm sure that at least 25 of the bits in that 35 bit set, I'd never use. If money weren't a major obstical, I would get a large set like that though...but for me, right now, it's not really practical to have a bunch of useless (for me) bits laying around.
              -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
              -Henry Blake

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

I have a fair number of individual bits (Freud, Bosch mostly) and the Holbren 35 Piece Multi-Profile Set. There are going to be a number of bits that you don't use in a set that big, however I find that the Holbren set is better than the MCLS for my needs. Example : MCLS has 3 dovetail bits, which would be fine for sliding dovetails but even there I use the bits that fit my DT jig. I don't see the need for 10% of the bits to be DT bits. I find the Holbren set to be very useful and well thought out.
                Though this may cause heated debate, it seems that the Holbren and MCLS bits are pretty much the same.

Comment

• JeremyM
                  Established Member
                  • May 2004

What have you guys found with the Blades N Bits 66pc set that is mentioned in another post? What is the quality like in comparison to the Whitesides and MLCS bits?

That 66pc set comes to $1.58 per bit. I know not to be overcome by price alone, but if it gets you lots of decent toys to play with and learn with....

Any thoughts?
                  Thanks

Comment

• bigsteel15
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Edmonton, AB
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Doug Jones
                    This is also my choice set.
                    DITTO. Big time.
                    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

I hesitate to point it out, but the thread is about "killer deals."

HF has a slot cutter set for $2.70, and a "doormakers" set for $10.99 at the sidewalk sale.

As always, any type of cutting tool from HF is suspect, but $2.70?!

YMMV

JR
                      JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
                        I hesitate to point it out, but the thread is about "killer deals."

HF has a slot cutter set for $2.70, and a "doormakers" set for $10.99 at the sidewalk sale.

As always, any type of cutting tool from HF is suspect, but $2.70?!

YMMV

JR

Some people are easier to slay than others.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• buddyroo
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Aug 2006

Don't get me started about the HF sidewalk sale! I was there this morning. I got so excited I almost bought the electronic fly swatter. But I didn't.

And it wasn't because I bought the "Oscar Oinker" Motion Activated Pig instead, either.

They were out of stock on the Oscar Oinker anyway. How did I know that?

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Liberty, SC, USA.
                            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by JeremyM
                            What have you guys found with the Blades N Bits 66pc set that is mentioned in another post? What is the quality like in comparison to the Whitesides and MLCS bits?

That 66pc set comes to $1.58 per bit. I know not to be overcome by price alone, but if it gets you lots of decent toys to play with and learn with....

Any thoughts?
                            Thanks
                            I have the B&B set now for a couple of years. As infrequently as I use 'some' of the profiles, overall the bits are quite good for the price. The 1/4" straight bit broke but it was heavily used and probably the operator contributed to the break.
                            The Holbren bits I have are, IMHO, better than the MLCS bits that I have. I don't have a large set of either Holbren or MLCS.
                            One thing is certain, customer service quality is far superior with Brian than MLCS, and MLCS is above average.

Comment

• oracle
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Sep 2005
                              • Fremont, CA, USA.

Originally posted by Garasaki
                              I got the whiteside set from Holbren.

Fewer bits, but all the basics. And I've heard people rave and rave about the quality of the Whiteside bits.

And, to be honest, I'm sure that at least 25 of the bits in that 35 bit set, I'd never use. If money weren't a major obstical, I would get a large set like that though...but for me, right now, it's not really practical to have a bunch of useless (for me) bits laying around.
                              I got the gajillion billion bit set (translates to 55 bit) in the nice wood case with plexi doors, and only use about 4 to 5. Quality is the worse. You get what you pay for. You don't know what grade carbide they use and the blade is skimpy to barely there at all. Plus the flush trim ball bearing wobbles, that's straight out dangerous. Have you ever seen an injury at the router table? Take it from a first responder, it's not pretty.

Check out the article in Fine Woodworking September/October 2006 (#186 issue). They say just get a set of Whitesides, the ones you know you will use the most. If you want a rare OG cove/molding bit, that you might use in a future project, more than likely it will not be in your 55pc. set. In that case, just buy an el-cheapo $12 bit and toss it when you're done.

Just my 1+1 cents.
                              Last edited by oracle; 10-08-2006, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...