• Show
Clear All
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

Wood prices - good deal???

I did some scoping out of a couple of hardwood dealers at lunch today in the Dallas area and found 4/4 cypress for $2.39/ft and hard maple for $4.38/ft. at Austin Hardwoods. How does that compare with what you guys have to pay in other parts of the country? I wish I had a pickup. I could have loaded up a lot of cool lumber. On the other hand, I'm glad I didn't have the truck... whew!
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Howard
    I did some scoping out of a couple of hardwood dealers at lunch today in the Dallas area and found 4/4 cypress for $2.39/ft and hard maple for $4.38/ft. at Austin Hardwoods. How does that compare with what you guys have to pay in other parts of the country? I wish I had a pickup. I could have loaded up a lot of cool lumber. On the other hand, I'm glad I didn't have the truck... whew!

I assume you mean per board-foot, not per foot.

depends on the finishing (if any).
    S2S or rough?
    also how wide? (wide and thick pieces tend to go for a little more)
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• hitekrednek
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Ft Worth, TX, USA.
      • BT3100

Austin hardwoods is the best place that I've found in the DFW area! I always shop there unless I'm forced by circumstance to go somewhere else.
      I can only please one person a day ........

Hugh C.

Comment

• Sawatzky
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • CA
        • Ridgid TS3650

I only really buy oak, but I get 3/4 inch straight edge material for about $2.90 per BF in central CA.

Comment

• Red88chevy
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Midland, Texas.

Both seem a little high, you should be able to find Cypress for under 2 bucks, but I can rarely get either out here in the dustbowl.

Comment

• Howard
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Plano, Tx.
            • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

Those prices were for rough cut lumber 6" wide. The 8/4 goes for 3.60/ft. These guys carry everything, especially the exotics with over 50 kinds from everywhere. There is another place not too far away, Hardwood Lumber of Dallas, and they wanted $3.50/ft for the 4/4ths. All things considered, I'll be going back to Austin Hardwoods for my projects as well.
            Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
            - Mark Twain

Comment

• woodinville guy
              Established Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Cedar Park, TX

Originally posted by Sawatzky
              I only really buy oak, but I get 3/4 inch straight edge material for about $2.90 per BF in central CA.
              That is an awesome price for oak. Nothing like that up in the Seattle area.

-Dave
              - Dave

Comment

Working...