• Show
Clear All
  • MoldnMaker
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • McKenzie, TN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

3 pcs Rollaway toolbox $199.99 at Sears

This was in a Sears flyer I got this week. I am real tempted by this and am going to look at one tommorow. It includes a 7 drawer top box, a 3 drawer intermediate and a 5 drawer rollaway base unit. They have it online too, but the shipping kills it for me and the intermediate does not have a store pickup option.

3 Pc Cabinet Combo

I have out grown the cheap $100 2pc I got a Wal-mart. I'm not a huge Craftsmans person, but have always felt they made good Rollaways. Does this offer sound good? or is there other Rollaways in this price range that I don't know about? I do know one company I worked at had a deal with Kennedy for scratch and dents at great prices, that the employee could get through the company on payments out of their checks, but not sure how or if individuals can get the same deal.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I was loking at tool boxes in Sears on Saturday. Biggest problem with the ones you are looking at are the slides. Put much weight in a drawer and they don't slide smoothly. Better to up grade to roller bearing slides. I picked up a set of the old style Kobalt boxes from Lowe's that are being clearanced out. I have a post in 'Bargain Alerts'.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• MoldnMaker
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • McKenzie, TN, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I read your thread, but noticed even on clearance they are not given those Kobalts away. Adding up the price of a base cabinet and a top box and your over $300. IMHO a slightly smoother opening drawer isn't worth the extra $100 plus the price of an intermediate. Not only that for a $100 more I could get this 3pc Cabinet Combo w/ Quite glide slides and still get an intermediate.

Thanks for the info on the Kobalts, but I need the extra room so I really need an intermediate too. Not only that my local Lowes is not good about tool clearance, examples, other Lowes have clearanced old Delta stuff, my local Lowes NO, other Lowes have clearanced Hitachi stuff like drill presses and Bandsaws, mine never stocked them, other Lowes have clearanced the old freud routers, mine no. As for the Kobalt boxes 10% off is all they are offering. Yet they clearance out of stock lighting and flooring stuff 50% to 75% off. They got boxes of Laminate flooring for $29 by the pallet right now. When they had the side walk sale that others got good deals at all I got was a kitchen faucet. Lowes rant over. Thank you.

I'll keep the slides in mind tommorow when I look.
      "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein

Comment

• SandhillMike
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006
        • Archer, Fla, USA.

I have a set of those Craftsman boxes. OK, but far from top quality.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a similar set of Craftsman cabinets - very similar same no of drawers. Works OK and holds tools well, certainly not top of the line with
          the silky smoothness of Ball bearing drawers, but I have no trouble getting my tools in and out.

Thing I dislike is that you have three similar looking but different keys for all three sections - there's apparently no easy way for them to match the keys. And I think they offered a set of three locks with a common key for DIY after-purchase installation for around $25 or something...
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-07-2006, 09:16 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• themachine
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Cincinnati, OH
            • BT3100, General Intl. 220

10% Off

This Sunday evening, Aug 13, Sears is having one of their VIP nights, so you get an additional 10% off sale prices. Go to sears.com and click on VIP event on lower left of home page. Might want to wait on tool chests until then.

Comment

• ScottGolden
              Established Member
              • May 2006

Must have missed it, the price I see is 274.98 on the web site.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Floral Park, NY
                • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by ScottGolden
                Must have missed it, the price I see is 274.98 on the web site.
                No. What you missed is the the "Special Offer" in the middle of the page.

So if your still in the market this deal is still live. Personally, at the bare minimum, I would opt for the "pro series" which I have (red cab with dark gray drawer fronts). If I could do it again I would definitely hold out for a model with ball bearings. I access my cabinets a lot for automotvie tools and the such. If your looking for a place to put a few things so they're nice and tidy and they don't get dusty, this will probably do.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Stormbringer; 02-13-2007, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• MoldnMaker
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • McKenzie, TN, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Price Comparison - kinda long

I checked the box out last night at Sears and Pappy is right in saying the ball bearing slides would be better. I looked at the Quite glide and really was not impressed, not much differnce from the standard slides. I looked at the boxes with ball bearings and the drawer action was smooth and the handles on them were better, but they were $450+ for a 3pc combo. And just for kicks I looked at the $1000+ carts they had and the drawers on those babies are smooth as silk and have a locking mechanism in the pull handles. Way out of my price range though.

I did some comparison shopping today. I went to Lowes looked at the Kobalt boxes, they were OK, but for ball bearing slides they didn't slide as good as I would have expected and like I said before they are not on clearance at my local Lowes still $250 range each pc. While I was there I also looked at the Task Force boxes and the price really reflects the quality cheap on both counts ($54 top box, $88 cabinet, no intermediate) the draws didn't even track straite. I went to Tractor Supply Company and looked at the Clarke boxes, all they had was the Clarke HD plus line and they were ball bearing, but they seemed to be lacking lube on them, beacuse they were quite hard to pull out. They were in the price range of $150-250 per pc. Went online too. At Grizzly.com outlet store they did have some top boxes that were priced in the $100-130 range that look good, but the shipping makes them less a deal.

In conclusion IMHO for the price the quality is good, the boxes are sturdy and I didn't find a better deal out there. So I got one. I had to order it though, all they had was the display. I got to pick it up this weekend.

Thanks for all the input though it, it helped me be more informed and perceptive to the good and bad points of different boxes. I figure for now this rollaway will do for my needs. The way I buy tools though I'll need another rollaway or cart in 5yrs maybe sooner. I'll look at the top shelf stuff then. Sorry this post was so long, hope it helps anyone in the market for a box.

themachine - the sale ends the 8/12, so the VIP 10% will come too late.

Comment

Working...