Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

GMC miter saw for under $50

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

is this any good?, one user seems to like it under review. I am very tempted, it is indeed cheaper than my circular saw...

gychang
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

I don't have first hand experience with this particular saw but some of the GMC products have received good reviews.

However, I would prefer to stay with a 10" circular saw. The GMC is a 8-1/2" saw which would limits your vertical cuts to about 3-1/2". Cutting 6" moldings or 2x6 boards would require flipping them over to complete the cuts. The saw only bevel to 45 degree, and it would be difficult to cut stair stringers (52 degree).
    ________
    Avandia Injury Lawyer
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by newbie2wood
      I don't have first hand experience with this particular saw but some of the GMC products have received good reviews.

However, I would prefer to stay with a 10" circular saw. The GMC is a 8-1/2" saw which would limits your vertical cuts to about 3-1/2". Cutting 6" moldings or 2x6 boards would require flipping them over to complete the cuts. The saw only bevel to 45 degree, and it would be difficult to cut stair stringers (52 degree).
      seems like sound observations to me.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BrazosJake
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Benbrook, TX.
        • Emerson-built Craftsman

I dunno about the 8 1/2", but the 10" did not get good reviews in one of the WW mags a couple years back. No brake, for one.

Comment

• JBCrooks
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Seneca, SC

My dad got one of them just for chopping 2x4's out at a job site. The rear fence was warped badly on it. When placing a straight edge along the fence, it was out of contact by over 1/4 inch in the middle. While it's okay for chopping stuff for rough framing, I wouldn't touch it for finish work.

Comment

Working...