• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Where to buy screws?

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, so please bear with me.
    Where do you buy screws, t-nuts, bolts, etc, that's cheaper than the BORG?
    Paying $7.00 for a pack of 50-#10 X 2.5 wood screws, and $1.00 for 4 t-nuts is steep.
    Do you buy in bulk?

Howie
  • Cain
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Little Rock, Arkansas.

Excuse me for slightly changing the topic, but you mentioned buying t-bolts at the BORG. I'm a BT3 noob and was wondering if you are refering to t-bolts that will fit the t-slots on the BT3x00. If so, what sizes are these t-bolts? I just assumed you had to special order them to fit the slots on the saw.

Comment

• Tim Clark
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Bangor, Maine, USA.

You can get the T-nuts & bolts & knobs, etc. here http://sv.t-nuts.com/bt3c/
      The prices are reasonable and the sizes you need for your BT3K are already packaged for you. He runs sales quite often too and you can save even more.

As for screws, I go to my local Odd Lots type store and stock up. Mine at least keeps a huge supply of hardware on hand everyday.
      Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

Comment

• steve-u
        Established Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Bartlett, Ill.
        • Ryobi BT 3100

Funny you mention that as I just bough the same pack of screws a couple weeks ago to built a workbench. I also though that was a lot. Then I was in Menards the other day and noticed bulk boxes of screws like you see for nails. I believe a box [1lb box maybe] of 2 1/2 screws was around $3.50. So check to see if HD has such which I bet they do. I can't believe deck builders spend .14 per screw. --- Steve

Comment

• newood2
          • Aug 2004
          • Brooklyn, NY.
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Cain
          Excuse me for slightly changing the topic, but you mentioned buying t-bolts at the BORG. I'm a BT3 noob and was wondering if you are refering to t-bolts that will fit the t-slots on the BT3x00. If so, what sizes are these t-bolts? I just assumed you had to special order them to fit the slots on the saw.
          Sorry, I don't mean t-nuts and bolts for the BT3, I meant the regular t-nuts, nuts, bolts,screws, etc. Not the specialty stuff at t-nuts.com.

Howie

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by newood2
            I meant the regular t-nuts, nuts, bolts,screws, etc.
            Lee Valley has good prices on T-bolts, nuts, and extrusions. Their prices for knobs are a little high, though; for those, Woodpeckers is about the best/cheapest source I've found.
            Larry

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry, I don't mean t-nuts and bolts for the BT3, I meant the regular t-nuts, nuts, bolts,screws, etc. Not the specialty stuff at t-nuts.com.

Howie
              Definitely DON'T buy t-nuts, bolts and such for jigs at the BORG. I agree with Larry on this one, although we don't have Woodpecker here, I go to Busy Bee (Grizzly in US) for the knobs/handles.
              BTW, I do highly recommend this item from LV for making jigs to use t-bolts.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46176&ap=1

As far as screws, there has been many a long discussion about that. I buy bulk at a local hardware that sells every size for $8/kg (2.2 lbs).
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• mojoel
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006

I buy almost all my screws from www.mcfeelys.com
                They've almost completely converted me to square drive.

Comment

• jnesmith
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Originally posted by mojoel
                  I buy almost all my screws from www.mcfeelys.com
                  They've almost completely converted me to square drive.
                  Amen brother.
                  John

Comment

• dwolsten
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Chandler, AZ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Where do you buy screws, t-nuts, bolts, etc, that's cheaper than the BORG?
                    Some other people already pointed you to sources for T-nuts, but for general-purpose hardware, I've found CShardware.com to have excellent prices. I bought some ball-bearing drawer slides for a fraction of HD's prices, and also some knockdown hardware for a desk I built, again for a tiny fraction of HD's prices. Check it out.

Comment

• dl2000
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Tampa, FL, USA.

Its funny the T-Slot bolt question has come up. I needed to buy two T-slot bolts on Saturday. Of course the BORG and Lowes did not have anything but when I went to my local hardware, the counter guy found exactly what I was looking for....

He took me to the plumbing section and there they were, anodized t-bolts that are used to hold down toilets. You may have to grind em down a little, but then again, they are cheap and you don't have to wait for them to be shipped.
                      I swear I measured it right this time.

Comment

• jabe
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Hilo, Hawaii
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

McFeely's great! I use nothing but square drive screws.

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

you are right about local hardware stores as a source of T nuts and much more. They tend to stock all sorts of goodies that you wont find at HD or Lowes.

Oh yes and they also sell screws!!! From singles to bulk quantity.
                          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

Comment

• fim
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2006

Doesn't shipping make buying common screws online too expensive?
                            It effectively doubles the cost for a box of screws.

Maybe if I bought 10 boxes at a time...

Comment

• jziegler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Salem, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, shipping can be a killer buying screws online. I did it recently when I needed stainless hardware, including lag bolts and carriage bolts. The price difference on those more than paid for the shipping, and I got a good deal on the regular screws too. But for ordinary stuff, I go to the local places or HD and deal with the phillips heads. And I have to be careful at the mom & pop I go to, their bins still have slotted mixed in with the phillips, when I'm not careful, I sometimes grab some of those.

Jim

Comment

Working...