• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Talk about the best-laid plans of mice and men...
    JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bargain alerts etiquette

OK, guys be nice.
      wd4lc raises a legitimate question, when is it proper to resurrect an old post, in this case 3 years old.

The bargain alert forum actually states that entries will be removed when they are no longer applicable although that's clearly not happening.

In some ways its nice to be able to search and find out the history of some of these items.

But it can be very confusing when the topic pops to the top and you read it thinking its a new topic (I usually just read new posts since I come here frequently) there's the sale going on. I was amazed at the knowledge and wisdom of the first responder and was in full agreement with him, and then saw it was me. Then I looked at the date.

I think as a general rule don't respond to very old posts unless it has something very specific to do with the original post, as in you asked for advice and wanted to show the result. Even then it probably better to do as I mention next:

Start a new thread and put a link to the old thread in the new one. In this case a new post about a sale price and say, this is the same as in this old thread, but cheaper.

Another thing that bothers me some is people who post in bargain alerts some sale price they see and say, is this a good price? As we all know, some stores sales prices are other store's everyday prices. A bit of internet searching can resolve that question and not clutter up Bargain Alerts with non-bargains. A bargain poster should be a person who knows a bargain when they see one.

Another question regarding bargain alerts that has come up in the past is people posting short reviews or comments on the item referenced.. this in my opinion is a good use and helsp others determine the true worth of the bargain.

Finally, Bargain Alerts should preferably include a link to the item advertised or a specific manufacturer, part number and name of the item. or all of the above. It surely helps to see Acme RA657 reciprocating aneroceter on sale at pflugers hardware than sale price RA657. Makes searching easier, too.

Finally include the location of the store, many sales tend to be regional or in some cases store specific.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• wd4lc
        Established Member
        • Nov 2008
        • Houston, TX
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        OK, guys be nice.
        wd4lc raises a legitimate question, when is it proper to resurrect an old post, in this case 3 years old.

The bargain alert forum actually states that entries will be removed when they are no longer applicable although that's clearly not happening.

In some ways its nice to be able to search and find out the history of some of these items.

But it can be very confusing when the topic pops to the top and you read it thinking its a new topisc (I usually just read new posts since I come here frequently) there's the sale going on. I had to laugh when i saw the first response and I agreed withthe author then saw it was me. Then I looked at the date.

I think as a general rule don't respond to very old posts unless it has something very specific to do with the original post, as in you asked for advice and wanted to show the result. Even then it probably better to do as I mention next:

Start a new thread and put a link to the old thread in the new one. In this case a new post about a sale price and say, this is the same as in this old thread, but cheaper.

Another thing that bothers me some is people who post in bargain alerts some sale price they see and say, is this a good price? As we all know, some stores sales prices are other store's everyday prices. A bit of internet searching can resolve that question and not clutter up Bargain Alerts with non-bargains. A bargain poster should be a person who knows a bargain when they see one.

Another question regarding bargain alerts that has come up in the past is people posting short reviews or comments ont he item referenced.. this in my opinion is a good use and helsp others determine the true worth of the bargain.

Finally, Bargain Alerts should preferably include a link to the item advertised or a specific part number and name of the item. or all of the above. It surely helps to see acme RA657 reciprocating aneroceter on sale at pflugers hardware than sale price RA657. Makes searching easier, too.

Finally include the location of the store, many sales tend to be regional or in some cases store specific.
        Thanks for the tips, LCHIEN. That is a good idea on a new thread and then redirecting to the old thread. As Stormbringer mentioned there are sometimes reviews in the old threads. As in this particular one the reviews were not outstanding. After seeing JRUPreston's recent post/review on his set, it swayed me to pass on the item. I think it might also be wise to bump the old thread considering people may still be subscribed to it and may have missed out on the old bargain.

BTW the router set might be out of stock at your store but it is in stock at a few stores here (and I'm assuming elsewhere). It is a store by store thing. Not for online delivery unfortunately.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

wd4lc, if you want a starter set, I'd suggest
          http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...et15piece.html
          or the 30-piece set from MLCS, both in 1/2" shanks if your router takes 1/2" shanks.
          They ship for free always and are fast and courteous and they only do WW stuff, if you have any problem they'll send you a replacement bit, nor questions asked. They have free downloadable how to instructions for all their bits whihc you might get anyways no matter whose bits you buy.
          The 1/2" shanks are much more stable and strong, if you can use them.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• wd4lc
            Established Member
            • Nov 2008
            • Houston, TX
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

wd4lc, if you want a starter set, I'd suggest
            http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...et15piece.html
            or the 30-piece set from MLCS, both in 1/2" shanks if your router takes 1/2" shanks.
            They ship for free always and are fast and courteous and they only do WW stuff, if you have any problem they'll send you a replacement bit, nor questions asked. They have free downloadable how to instructions for all their bits whihc you might get anyways no matter whose bits you buy.
            The 1/2" shanks are much more stable and strong, if you can use them.
            Hey thanks. I think someone else also suggested that bit set as well so it must be worthwhile for a beginner. Great to hear about their customer service, replacement policy and dl'able instruction (I'll definitely need that). Thank you.

Congrats to your Katy Tigers.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

OK, guys be nice.

yada yada yada.....

snip..../snip
              Finally, Bargain Alerts should preferably include a link to the item advertised or a specific manufacturer, part number and name of the item. or all of the above. It surely helps to see Acme RA657 reciprocating aneroceter on sale at pflugers hardware than sale price RA657. Makes searching easier, too.

After the edit this is exactly what I beleive to be the way to go. BTW the pay for cleaning out old or out-dated threads is just so high $$$$$/ ea. that I'm gonna do it all in one heavy hand and send Sam a huge bill. It's somewhat difficult to draw a line on many as to when to whack them.

Originally posted by wd4lc
              Thanks for the tips, LCHIEN. That is a good idea on a new thread and then redirecting to the old thread. As Stormbringer mentioned there are sometimes reviews in the old threads. As in this particular one the reviews were not outstanding. After seeing JRUPreston's recent post/review on his set, it swayed me to pass on the item. I think it might also be wise to bump the old thread considering people may still be subscribed to it and may have missed out on the old bargain.

BTW the router set might be out of stock at your store but it is in stock at a few stores here (and I'm assuming elsewhere). It is a store by store thing. Not for online delivery unfortunately.
              I beleive that if a thread is more than two weeks old in this forum or more than a year in any of the other forums then a user should rather start a new fresh thread. Link to the old if the content is relevent. Sometimes even a thread that is a week old should not be bumped. Open polls that are 30 days since last vote should IMHO also be considered too old to be effectivly bumped by a vote. There is almost nothing worse than clicking on a thread and reading a page and half and then seeing that I've already replied to the topic, or it feels like deja vu or Groundhog Day! My favorite threads are those that a member asks a question and gets several answers. If the question is one of method the OP usually will learn several differing ones that will work.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

I always thought it would be nice if the software indicated new replies to older threads differently -- so it's immediately clear you're not reading a new thread. I hardly ever look at the dates... But that's a suggestion for the vBulletin guys, I guess.

In any case, thanks for the heads up on this offer!
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                  After the edit this is exactly what I beleive to be the way to go. BTW the pay for cleaning out old or out-dated threads is just so high $$$$$/ ea. that I'm gonna do it all in one heavy hand and send Sam a huge bill. It's somewhat difficult to draw a line on many as to when to whack them.

I beleive that if a thread is more than two weeks old in this forum or more than a year in any of the other forums then a user should rather start a new fresh thread. Link to the old if the content is relevent. Sometimes even a thread that is a week old should not be bumped. Open polls that are 30 days since last vote should IMHO also be considered too old to be effectivly bumped by a vote. There is almost nothing worse than clicking on a thread and reading a page and half and then seeing that I've already replied to the topic, or it feels like deja vu or Groundhog Day! My favorite threads are those that a member asks a question and gets several answers. If the question is one of method the OP usually will learn several differing ones that will work.

I think one problem is that to someone new on the forum, all the posts are new. Its tempting to respond to them. I remember one new user logged on and resurected about a dozen two-or three-year old posts. (Finally someone clued him in).

Its a feature of V-bulletin that posts get bumped up to the new posts list if replied to. I think the real solution is some new features in V-bulletin, where old threads are closed after a time and trying to reply to them will result in a warning that the thread is old and offer to start new thread with a link to the old thread. The time could be set but probably a month would be optimal.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-19-2009, 09:31 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I think the real solution is some new features in V-bulletin, where old threads are closed after a time
                    Another vBulletin forum on which I participate a little bit automatically closes threads that have been inactive for a year. I don't know whether this is built directly into the forum software or is an extension. As you say, the time limit can probably be adjusted as desired.
                    Larry

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

So what is the preferred process when an ancient Bargain Alert post is not only resurrected but goes completely off topic?
                      Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                        So what is the preferred process when an ancient Bargain Alert post is not only resurrected but goes completely off topic?
                        I've found it best to just roll on the floor and laugh my arse off and enjoy the moment.

Comment

Working...