• Show
Clear All
  • fergusburger
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Stillwater, MN, USA.
    • BT3

Clearance: Craftsman 6-1/8 in. Jointer/Planer#921706

According to the Sears salesman I spoke with today, the Craftsman Professional 6-1/8 in. Jointer/Planer model #921706 is on clearance for about $332 and is being replaced by model #921705 selling at $420. The newer model has the power switch on a stem above the deck instead of on the base, and has a slightly different fence adjustment mechanism. Older threads here and elsewhere have some stories about finding this jointer/planer selling for $150 in damaged boxes at Sears product service centers. Wouldn't that be sweet if true! The box on the one I saw was pretty beat up, but the salesman wouldn't drop below $332. However, he said that it would be 10% off starting on March 1. Is there a Craftsman sale coming up?

- Tom
  • ksu93
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Topeka, KS
    • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if being a member of the Craftsman Club gives any kind of discount? I've been a member for several months but I've never tried using it for anything and I never receive any kind of flyers or announcements. Frankly I'm starting to wonder what the whole point of it is.

Anyway, the old jointer is no longer listed on the Craftsman web site, but I did find a photo of it here:
    Last edited by ksu93; 02-25-2006, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

That's a sweet jointer. I've had it for a couple of years. The $332 is about what it has been on sale with the CC discount, tho. It's made by Orion, which says a lot.
      ksu93, maybe you should give them a call. I get flyers several times a year announcing Craftsman Club Days.
      ken
      Last edited by Ken Massingale; 02-25-2006, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by ksu93
        Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if being a member of the Craftsman Club gives any kind of discount? I've been a member for several months but I've never tried using it for anything and I never receive any kind of flyers or announcements. Frankly I'm starting to wonder what the whole point of it is.

Anyway, the old jointer is no longer listed on the Craftsman web site, but I did find a photo of it here:
        I think the C-Club will only get you a discount if it's one of the featured items during the C-Club days.

$332 isn't bad for a stationary 6" jointer that you can pickup locally, but it's not much less than the Ridgid or Grizzly which each have a more substantial fence support mechanism. I like the enclosed base on the Sears and Griz. The Grizzly 0452 includes a mobile base and stem mount for $394 delivered. If you have to pay tax on the Sears and add a mobile base, they're comparably priced. I'd press the Sears rep for bigger discounts and tell him what else you can buy at a similar price.
        Last edited by Knottscott; 07-02-2006, 03:58 AM.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ddamoore
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Oklahoma City, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman (Ridgid 3612 Clone)

Originally posted by Dustmight
          I think the C-Club will only get you a discount if it's one of the featured items during the C-Club days.
          My experience has been that all Craftsman products have a 10% discount during C-club days, not just the featured items. The featured items are usually on sale for something more than the 10% discount.
          Dennis

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects" - Will Rogers

Comment

• lkazista
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ddamoore
            My experience has been that all Craftsman products have a 10% discount during C-club days, not just the featured items. The featured items are usually on sale for something more than the 10% discount.
            This is True!

Comment

• kramer katt
              Established Member
              • Aug 2004
              • SO CAL, USA
              • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

I was told mid 2005 that the Sears policy did change and ONLY listed items in the flyer would be discounted the 10% for CClub members. Have not seen anything state to change this. That's a great looking jointer. Still kick myself when the floor model was tagged $199 when the local store had pre Christmas clearance to make room for new displays.
              kk
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

• linear
                • May 2004
                • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

@ ksu: There are 4 at the sears in Overland Park--I've been dropping in on lunch hour every couple weeks and "visiting" them. 3 are new in box and one floor model.

So far the tool manager has been unwilling to negotiate on the price, but informed me that it's only going down, it's just a matter of time.
                --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• just4funsies
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Florida.
                  • BT3000

Just chain yourself to one of them, and you're home free! (Especially after a week or so has gone by, and you haven't had a shower... )
                  ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• fergusburger
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Stillwater, MN, USA.
                    • BT3

Update on jointer price, and now a 12" lathe clearance

I stopped by the Rice Street Sears in St. Paul and saw that they were expanding their clearance area with a number of additional items, including two more of these 6-1/8" jointers. One was the current model #921705 (which was set up) and the other was a #921706 in the box. Both were marked down to $299 and you could get an additional 10% discount by opening a sears card. $270 + tax seems good, but not good enough...I'm still trolling for $200. Believe it or not, in the main section of the tool department they had both of these identical jointers set up as floor models and marked at $349 for the -05 and and $332 for the -06 when they were selling for $299 just four aisles away.

They also had three Craftsman 12" variable speed lathes #921712 normally available by internet/catalog only marked down from $300 to $200. The manager said they were refused internet deliveries with beat up boxes.

Interestingly for those in the Twin Cities area, the manager also said that he was going to try to make a habit of sourcing these types of clearance tools and putting them out on a sidewalk sale every Saturday through the summer. I saw no table saws, drill presses or band saws in the current shipment, but lots of tool boxes and some table saw dust collectors that I assumed would fit craftsman models.

- Tom

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

Somebody (not me) got a good deal on the floor model jointer, $289, at the Sears Hardware in West Chester, Ohio. The receipt was taped to the unit, waiting for the purchaser to retrun and retrieve.

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

My experience has been that all Craftsman products have a 10% discount during C-club

My experience is that Sears eliminated the 10% Craftsman club discount on tools about year ago. Discounts are only available for those items listed in the craftsman club brochure.

10 % discounts will sometimes be available for items purchased online.

Comment

• linear
                          • May 2004
                          • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Update: there are now zero remaining in Overland Park--the last one is in the back of my truck. Paid $170. (Sorry but I couldn't resist the gloat)
                          --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Receipts anyone?
                            Thanks!

Comment

• MBG
                              • Apr 2003
                              • Chicago, Illinois.
                              • Craftsman 21829

My Sears Essentials has two displays for $175. I already have a Jet 6" open base Jointer. Wondering if it's time to upgrade to a cabinet grade????

Mike

Comment

Working...