• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobkirk
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005
    • Acton, MA, home of the original Minuteman - about 20 miles West of Boston

Irwin 6" Quick-Grip Clamps - 4/$20

I think this seems like a good deal, but some of you are much better shoppers than I am, so maybe you know of a better deal or better clamps somewhere. I know there are often different versions of Irwin clamps, so I've included details below.

I found packages with a prominent red panel reading "Includes 2 FREE 6" Mini Clamps" and priced at $19.97. The part # on the sales slip is 96054. The only number on the front of the package is 5464. I have a couple of 24" Irwin Quick Grip clamps, and these seem like the real deal to me, although they are a little smaller in all dimensions, which seems appropriate - they grip really tightly.

MODIFIED 1 - In response to a comment below, I imagine these are MINI clamps and they are all the same
    MODIFIED 2 - In response to a comment below, the Lowe's I visited was in Milford, MA, but it didn't seem like a local special.
    ALSO, I found the same deal at Rockler's in Cambridge, MA today. And, FWIW, they generate a LOT of grip - I tested before I bought. I can get them to start distorting from the forces and they still are not slipping.
    Last edited by hobkirk; 02-24-2006, 05:04 PM.
    Doug Hobkirk
    WOOD LOON
  • Tamarack
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Speedwell, TN USA
    • BT3100

The 6" quickgrips that I have are pretty flimsy, nowhere near as strong as the longer ones. I won't buy any more of them, but YMMV.

Paul in Idaho

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like them. Four for $20 is a good buy even if they are all the small mini-quick grips. Sounds like 2 minis and 2 regular which is a pretty good deal.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cody Carse
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • Canal Winchester, OH
        • Soon to be a proud owner of a brand new BT3100!!!

Ummmmm, where exactly is this?

Comment

• DaveW
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • So Cal.

Originally posted by Cody Carse
          Ummmmm, where exactly is this?
          Sounds like the clamps that you find at Lowes. I've got a collection of at least twelve of them now thanks to the promotions. For what I need to do, they've provided enough holding power.

Comment

• ryan.s
            • Feb 2006
            • So Cal
            • Ridgid TS3650

I picked up a set of these at Rockler, thought it was a good deal. I noticed the same clamps at HD also on sale, buy one get one free not only for the 6" clamps but other sizes as well.

Comment

• just4funsies
              • Dec 2005
              • Florida.
              • BT3000

I had some slippage problems with some new Quick Grips I got recently, and found out (through this forum) that there is a rust inhibiter coating put on the bars at the factory that causes this problem. It's dry and black and invisible, but it WILL promote slippage. Use a rag with some mineral spirits or Goo-Gone to take the stuff off (use a white rag, and you'll be amazed at how much of that crap comes off). Since a thorough cleaning, no slippage problems.
              ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• softop41
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Quick grip clamps

I have had 4 Quick grip clamps for 2 years and love them. so when I found the 4 for $20 deal at Lowe's, I grapped a pack. Short version of the story is that 3 of the 4 won't hold a tight grip at all and the 4th one won't hold period! They will go back the next time I get out to Lowe's and I won't buy any more! The thought crosses my mind that Irwin knew they had some duds so they sold them cheap.
                FWIW
                Jerry

OOPS, just read the last few posts here and found that the problem isn't new. I'll try the 'fix' and hope for the best.
                Jerry
                Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Washington, NC USA
                  • JET

I have bought several of those packs over the last 6 months and love 'em. But you definitely need to wipe 'em down with MS otherwise they do tend to slip.
                  Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

Working...