Framing Gun

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GuySmileey

    #1

    Framing Gun

    Howdy Everyone,
    I'm looking to buy a few framing guns and i'm not sure what to get. I plan to be starting up a small construction bussiness in the spring and still have some winter jobs comming my way and i'm gonna need these nail guns soon.
    I've been looking all over online at framing nailers and still not sure what to get. I have a Bostitch N88RH-2MCN that i picked up on e-bay for barely nothing but i'm not excited about it. I want one that will keep shooting nails with out having to pull the gun back up to reset the contact tip. Is there anything on that like that????
    I really just need some where that i can just test out the gun before i get it.
    The guns i had it mind are the Paslode F350S, Ridgid R350CHA, Dewalt D51823, and then anything about Porter-Cable or Senco???
    I'm looking for 2 guns that will hold up in all weather espically cold.
    I also thinking about a roofing nailer possibly the Bostitch RN46 or something else if anyone has thoughts, and then i'd like some thoughts on a Button Cap nailer????

    Please help me,
    thanks
    Chris
  • MBG
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2003
    • 945
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

    #2
    I have the P-C FR350 (I think the model # is right). You actually have to call and order a special trigger piece to have it multi-fire (free of charge). This device allows you to fire multiple nails w/o letting go of the trigger but you still have to engage and release the tip to fire the next nail.

    What you are talking about is very unsafe - it would turn the nailer into a gun.

    That kind of trigger is only rigged up on nail guns for TV - did you happen to see CSI-Miami a couple of weeks ago? There was a murder and a good eye shot with such a gun you suggest.

    Mike

    Comment

    • GuySmileey

      #3
      Sorry Everyone I mean what Mike said. I'm looking for a Nail gun that will fire with out letting go of the trigger not the other way around like i had written.... sorry for the mix up...i'm not looking for an automatic nail gun...hahahah.

      and no i missed that CSI-Miami but saw the previews for it.

      thanks
      chris

      Comment

      • kevin85281
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2005
        • 36
        • Tempe, AZ, USA.

        #4
        Most (all)framing nail guns have a procedure to change to bump fire mode.Have a PC works fine but I don't use it much. Might check the tools of the trade web site for a review and FHB forum for opinions and they have those. Most of the pros seem to favor Paslode, and Hatachi.
        If I'd known it was harmless I'd have killed it myself.

        Comment

        • MBG
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2003
          • 945
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          Chris - guess the CSI was on my mind ... If you are looking for inexpensive gun many here have bought framers at HF and with the 20% coupon posted here you can one for less than $70.

          Mike

          Comment

          • twistsol
            SawdustZone Patron
            • Dec 2002
            • 3125
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

            #6
            I got an Bostitch N80CB coil framing nailer for Christmas last year and the default setup is what you've described you want. You hold the the trigger in and any time you touch the tip to a surface, it fires. Way too scary for a rookie like me so I immediately changed it over so that you have to pull the trigger for each nail.

            Bostich should have a conversion kit available for free or next to nothing. It is just a different trigger and a pin.

            Danny Glover took out a bad guy with a framing nailer in one of the lethal weapon movies. I wonder how his was set up?
            Chr's
            __________
            An ethical man knows the right thing to do.
            A moral man does it.

            Comment

            • Derrick
              Established Member
              • Jul 2005
              • 206
              • Kansas City
              • BT3100

              #7
              I second the Bostitch suggestion. It is what we have been using for years in the factory. It is also very durable. It will fire exactly as your wanting it to. Just hold the trigger and it will fire everytime you depress the tip. The Senco nailers will do the same thing. We have used those in the past.

              Comment

              • Marc
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2005
                • 16
                • Hamburg, NY.

                #8
                I have used the Paslode F350S framing nailer for years with no complaints. It also has the contact tip or "bump" feature your looking for. I initially purchased the the F350S as a companion gun to my Paslode Impulse nailer (airless)but find I use it much more than the Impulse. One thing to consider when purchasing a framing gun is the availibility and cost of nails.

                Marc
                \"Education is what you have left over after you have forgotten everything you have learned.\"

                Comment

                • Woody2
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2005
                  • 8
                  • .

                  #9
                  I've used several brands of framers for building houses, and my favorite is my current one, Hitachi NR83A2. I think I've had it for about 2 years and I can't recall ever clearing a jam from it, where my old Senco was misfiring and jamming at least once a week. If you are going to be doing trusses or rafters I'd recomend getting the Paslode impulse framer, no bump nailing with it, but there is no air hose to get in your way, just be careful that you don't drop it too many times from the roof or you'll have problems with the foot getting bent and sticking after each shot.

                  Comment

                  • kevin85281
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 36
                    • Tempe, AZ, USA.

                    #10
                    In reply to the Glover movie or the CSI show, back when I did some production assembly work with a framming nailer the Duofasts we used just had the nose safety so they all bump fired. It was common and as safe as it sounds or even less to "tie" back the safty so the gun fired anytime the trigger was pulled just like in the Lethal Weapon movie. I didn't work there long, just long enough to pull a few nails out of body parts. Looked like it hurt. Luckly they don't fly far.
                    If I'd known it was harmless I'd have killed it myself.

                    Comment

                    • Andrew Benedetto
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • 1071
                      • SoCal, USA
                      • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

                      #11
                      The bump fire is why so many nails are shot into nothing but the surface of my house,and stck ot everywhere. I really hate that sloppy and dangerous work. My neighbor is a fire captain ,gives lectures to builders on why the codes are the way they are on nailing into the support of the frame and anot air,and you can kill a firefighter by not nailing the roof sheathing down to the joists as code requires b/c the roof will collapse during a fire prematurely(it will not have the proper fire burn rating).
                      I have a Hitachi NR90AC29[round head true common ]and it is a great gun,NO bump fire for me[changed the trigger first thing], can be unsafe for user and wastes nails. There was an article in Tools of the Trade and even the older guys found that sequential fire was better once they got used to it,and they could go about as fast once the "contact-trigger-release" was mastered. They got a better result and wasted a lot less nails than the bump fire method which requires much more manual re-nailing to correct the undershot nails that occur and removal/ renailing too.
                      My Senco also was problematic,no issues with the Hitachi.
                      Andrew

                      Comment

                      • RagerXS
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • 501
                        • Brookline, NH, USA.

                        #12
                        I have used a Bostich, and owned a Hitachi NR83A as well as the Dewalt framer. I didn't like the Bostich because it didn't use full head nails -- personal preference for me, but in some regions the clipped heads don't pass code. Not sure if Bostich offers a full head nailer or not. I will say it worked well.

                        The Hitachi I had was ONLY bump fire. I didn't like that and was unable to acquire the sequential trigger from HD, Lowes, another shop that sold them, nor the nearest repair center. I also did not like the fact that depth of drive was not easily adjusted and was terribly inconsistent (possibly magnified by lack of sequential fire capability). I finally gave up and got the DeWalt.

                        The DeWalt was quite nice, but was around $100 more than the Porter Cable and after that ate at me for a bit I decided to try the PC. One use and the DeWalt went back. Luckily all three brands I went through use the same style nails so I had no issues there.

                        Porter Cable has long been considered the reference standard for nailers, but for some reason I didn't want to get what everyone else had. I learned my lesson. The fit and finish is first rate, my PC framer came with both trigger types, and case (neither the DeWalt nor Hitachi had a case). I have since expanded my collection and have two styles of finish nailer and a brad nailer -- all four of my nailers are Porter Cable. And it isn't a brand thing either because the only other tool I have from PC is a big 6" ROS that I use for polishing and waxing the cars.

                        I will say that if I were buying today I would likely try the Ridgid first. Lots of cool new features and an unreal warranty. With the satisfaction guarantee you could always swap it out for another.

                        ~ Fred

                        Comment

                        • Boe

                          #13
                          I have the HF 6-n-1 framer and it is crap. Misfires everytime and usually can't nail completely, always have to follow up with a hammer. Ringshanks only go about 2/3 in. I can't put into words how truly useless this huge dead weight junk is.
                          The replacement will either be Rigid or PC followed by hitachi.
                          I don't know about the hitachi framer, but the roofer is hands down the best available (hands on roofing with Bostich, PC and older paslode or senco vs hitachi).

                          Comment

                          • construction guy

                            #14
                            The Best Framing NailGun is............

                            I do carpentry subcontracting. I use air driven nailguns and airless guns. I run small crews of me and a helper to me and three helpers. At times I build developments and run entire production crews. I have several gas and a couple electric compressors and about 15 airguns and 3 airless guns.
                            Carpentry subcontracting is considered an "skilled" labor service. Which means we do labor, yes, but we aint diggin' no holes. These guys are smart. It takes a good amount of mental ability to construct homes. But I try to eliminate my guys having to think about mundane things like which kind of nail goes in which gun. Lemmee tell you something...if you lay a Paslode and a Porter Cable on the deck and provide one box of nails clearly marked "Paslode" and another box cleary marked "Porter Cable" do you think I am gonna get a call in about a half hour after the guys start work stating that a gun is jammed and everyone is standing around and the problem was that the wrong nail ended up in the wrong gun and I have to take it apart to dislodge the 28 degree full head nail that didn't belong in the 30 degree clippedhead gun? Anyone is gonna mistakenly put the wrong nail in the wrong gun. And I used to have this situation occur over and over again.
                            Moral of the story: Don't mix guns. I run Paslodes because Paslode's F350s is a serious gun and because their airless gun uses the same type nails. I also have a Paslode Positive Placement gun that uses the same 30 degree nails. No matter what gun my guys pull out they have ONE type of nail that runs in all of them. This doesn't sound like much, but streamlining guns and nails will make you alot of money by saving you money because your guys don't have to waste time wondering if they are putting the wrong nail in the wrong gun.
                            Also, do not waste time using a gun that does not have a rafter hook. Your guys waste so much time putting hookless guns down and then picking them up to use them and then putting them down that once you use a gun with a rafter hook for ten minutes you are never gonna look back. You hook it on a rafter. You hook it on your belt. You hook it on a ladder. You save time.
                            Another huge item to consder is whether you have to pull back the slide prior to loading the nails. How many times have I had to grit my teeth in frustration seeing a guy load in the nails only to have to turn the gun over and slide them back out again because he had forgotten to pull back the slide before inserting the nail clip? I am sorry to say my beloved Paslode forces you to pull back a slide prior to inserting a new batch of nails. Not good. You might say I am nitpicking. If you try out the new Hitachi ND90ad you will see it is lighter than the Paslode and you DO NOT have to pull back the slide prior to inserting new nails. Plus, it has toolless adjustable depth and tooless switchover from sequential firing to bump firing. It does not have a rafter hook, but you can buy rafter hooks online at "TOOLBARN.COM" for a meager $12.99 each. (I bought 4 of em!) Now that Hitachi makes an airless gun I am gonna sell all of my Paslodes and run Hitachi air and airless guns. Another good thing is the Hitachi uses the same paper collated 30 degree nails so I don't have to run out and buy new nails.
                            I will stick with my Paslode Positive Placement Teco Hanger Nailer. For anyone who thinks using an air gun is not gonna save you money for nailing off teco nails. Try getting a guy to spend half of a day nailing off the gazillion tecos under your garden variety backyard deck and you'll know what a waste of payroll you suffer whenever there are alot of hangers to be nailed up. Use a Posistive Placement teco nailer and you have daydreams about what you are gonna do with all the money you are saving by doing a half day's work of tecos in 20 minutes!
                            Another note: Do not throw away any guns you have purchased that use different nails from the type you have decided to ultimately be your bread and butter nail. There will be times when you are on a new job at which the builder says for example that he uses 21 degree plastic collated nails and he'll let you have FREE nails for the duration of the job but he aint gonna go out and buy you the nail you use on all your other guns. If the job is long enough in duration, it makes sense to buy a bunch of the kind of gun that runs that nail because free nails add up immensely over the long haul. And if you had owned the kind of gun that runs that nail and then gave it away or threw it away or sold it for cheap and then found that you had a need for that gun you could only bend over and kick your own self in the behind.
                            I hope I made you some money via this long letter. When Ben Franklin said "A penny saved is a penny earned" he was referring to the accounting principle that avoding expense is the same as making money. If you streamline everything for your guys and give them the best tools for the job you can go ahead and book that trip to Honolulu right now. Ciao, G.Garrett

                            Comment

                            • tsbrewers
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 207

                              #15
                              I will just add to the above, if you are going to use it to make a living you only have 2 choices, the paslode or the hitachi. Simple as that, pick which one you like better, I use the paslode myself.

                              Brew

                              Comment

                              Working...