• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Wood glue, CA (super glue) and fingerprint sensors

When I make a wood glue-up, I often use my finger to spread the glue after applying with the squeeze bottle. I have a good feel for how thick it needs to be spread to not squeeze out excessively and also wetting the entire surface to be glued. Titebond III

I usually wipe the excess off my forefinger with a paper towel and when I'm done I'll clean up washing hands in the sink.

I noticed that even after washing my hands it takes a whole lot of tries to unlock my Samsung S22 screen fingerprint sensor, sometimes I exhaust the allowed attempts.

I think there's residue that has to wear off before it becomes reliable again.
    Anyone else notice this?
    Superglue is worse, takes even more time to wear off your fingers.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-26-2024, 10:28 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Yes, especially with CA / super glue that I unintentionally get on my finger.

My phone and computer allows the setup to read several different fingers, so I use the pointer finger from both hands as openers. On occasion, I have had to just enter my pass code. Where it gets aggravating to me is that my computer allows the finger print to auto-enter passwords for different apps and web sites. IF my fingerprintS have glue, then I have to look up the PW and copy/paste to go to the App or website.

My Phone has facial recognition, which for some reason didn't work with some websites for a while, but does now. I wish my computer had facial recognition.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah I got some CA on my left hand index finger which is not the ID finger. Otherwise that one probably won't work either.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-26-2024, 11:24 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I use superglue for crack filler on my Tiny Trees and Tiny Mushrooms (thick CA), and thin CA to saturate the soft and pithy centers. Nothing like holding a piece of wood and saturating the soft spot only to find that I have glued my fingers to the wood. Always keep superglue debonder close by! It will definitely get your fingers unstuck… but it ain’t easy.

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

I had never noticed that phenomenon after using glue. This may partly be a result of me often using something other than my finger to spread the wood glue. Also, I usually don't just "dry wipe" the glue off, I use a wet sponge. Perhaps that may prevent the glue build up better?

I recently did an assembly where I used Titebond III instead of the usual original Titebond. (I used "III" because this wood assembly might get caught in some rain). I found "III" to be much easier to work with - less movement of the pieces during clamping so I resolved to use Titebond III much more often!

Comment

Working...