• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Lahina Maui Burned

Yesterday (8/9/2023) was a sad day for State of Hawaii, high winds from hurricane Dora fanned a wild fire which swept through the town of Lahina Maui and burned it to the ground. It was so fast people only had little time to evacuate with just the clothes on their backs. 6 people died, tourist had to leave the island, locals were put in shelters through out the island and the overflow will be flown to Honolulu. Some people had to jump in the ocean to escape the flames and were rescued by private boats and Coast Guard ship. The state is asking all tourist to not to come to Maui. Lahina was the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii for awhile and in the old days it was a big port of call for the whaling fleets in the Pacific ocean. Big loss of a historical site and many artifacts for Hawaii. See You tube videos.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

So sorry to hear this. I listened to updates on the news all day while driving.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I watched the News coverage on and off the las two days. It is a terrible tragedy and death tow is reported much higher late this afternoon, which I believe is 53 at the last count. There was a local fellow reporting to MSNBC in the late afternoon on Wednesday that was barely holding back the tears. He was reporting from his car and describing the scenes he had witnessed that afternoon.

A terrible tragedy,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

My heart goes out to the residents of Lahaina and Maui Island. Wonderful little town and place.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-12-2023, 10:28 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii

Body count keeps going up every day. It's been tough going for the searchers as most of the bodies found are burned so bad it's ashes. So, removal of the ashes is a difficult operation, they even found families huddled together or burned in their cars. Soo sad.

Comment

• Estellan
            Handtools only
            • Sep 2023

I'm sorry about this incident, I saw it on news channels and found it to be extremely serious and cause quite a lot of damage. A friend of mine who lives nearby also suffered quite a bit of damage to his house.

Comment

• jabe
              • Apr 2006
              • Hilo, Hawaii

Maui is welcoming tourist but, Lahina town is off limits as they are still processing the hazardous wastes and clean ups. The rest of the island is open and needs the tourist to keep the economy going for the rest of the population. Please visit but with respect, MAHALO.

Comment

Working...