How Much Do You Really Know About Those Whom You See Regularly?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

How Much Do You Really Know About Those Whom You See Regularly?

I was stunned this week by a man whose family I have known for 30+ years. I have known him personally for the past 12 years. But he is an unassuming humble man, not talking up his abilities or work. I knew that he was an engineer and works part time locally as an engineer with a few companies as a consultant in his retirement years. He doesn't look nearly as old as he is (80).

I work with churches in a 3 county area of NW MS known as the MS Delta, a very flat area of land that is well suited to agriculture, which is the primary source of employment and resource in the area. This engineer is a member and deacon in one church, which is why I have known him and his family for years. I grew up in this area, and I visited in most of these churches as a child with my mom and dad as we had Associational gatherings 2 or 3 times yearly.

That was the background.

This past week, one of the larger churches had their monthly senior citizens “program” and luncheon, to which I am always invited. (A few other churches do the same but at different weeks.) The program speakers for this past week had a sudden problem arise 4 days before the luncheon. This engineer approached the lady in charge and asked if he could do the program. He was invited (of course, after all he is a deacon in that church).

He astounded everyone except his wife. He was a graduate of Mississippi State University’s Engineering school in the early 1960’s. He went to work for Grumman, and the early aerospace devision and was sent to NASA, Cape Canaveral. He spoke of many of the astronauts on a first name basis, and then of some of the division leaders on a first name basis also, and their interactions.

Then he asked: “Do you remember Apollo 13?” Everyone said yes. He asked: “Do any of you remember when the earth crew of engineers came in with a box and dumped it out and said ‘this is all that they have on board, can we fix their problems with these parts?” A few of us answered yes. Then he said: That TV version wasn’t exactly as it was, That specific job was given to me and 2 others. We helped bring them home safely.

Other parts and solution developments were given to other engineering crews. He displayed patches with names of the astronauts on each one from Gemini. One patch, the first crew to land on the moon, did not have names on the patch because they chose to dedicate that to all Americans who were a part of that.

There was much more to it and it was extremely interesting - from a very quiet and unassuming man.

You never know who you know!
    Last edited by leehljp; 04-14-2022, 02:27 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Not the same relationship, but the results are similar. We lived in our previous home for 30 years and knew everyone on the street very well. No surprises there. In 2015, we built a retirement home in a new subdivision on the opposite side of the metropolitan area. So, all new folks around us. It's been really interesting learning our new neighbors backgrounds. The street has all types of families. From young families with preschoolers, families with high schoolers, singles, DINKs, empty nesters, and retirees. The one thing that has been the most interesting has been what I call the six degrees of Toledo. How all of these people relate to each other and their backgrounds has been fascinating.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      leehljp commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally I am an introvert, but I inadvertently tend to be a keen observer of small details in people's conversations, and therefore "usually" pick up on hints and reading between the lines. That helps me in figuring out some "six degrees" connections that most people miss. Not that I do that intentionally, but suddenly those connections just pop into my mind. That has helped me numerous times in connecting people that need help or help one another.
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

I'd love to sit with your engineer friend and hear his stories. Thanks for sharing. Spend some time with him and get more stories!!

Comment

• leehljp
      leehljp commented
      Editing a comment
      I 'll do that. I have spent a little time with him over the years and we talked about his college days, his current engineering consultation, but mostly his current church work. He doesn't offer much about himself which is why I missed this - plus his questions to me are usually around church needs and my experiences in church growth. His cousin (who is also a deacon in the same church) is the one that I have spend the most time with who has told me the most about their family, but he also never said anything about the NASA connection.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Minnesota is a difficult place to really get to know people. Our shared Scandanvian heritage meant it was considered impolite to talk about yourself, or ask any sort of personal questions of other people. That of course is now different in the Twin Cities and suburbs, but in the small towns it is still very true that diversity means German Lutherans and Scandinavian Lutherans. "Minnesota nice," which is rapidly dissipating, means that everyone is polite, but they probably don't trust you.

The small town I mostly grew up in I was considered an outsider because we moved there when I was 13 ... basically if your grandparents weren't born there, you were an outsider. What you know of people is only what you experienced with them.
    Chr's

Comment

Working...