• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Goldfinches

Two years ago we got this goldfinch feeder and a big bag of Nyjer seeds they love based on a discussion with some ladies at Lowes by the bird seed. Well for two years now we have not seen a goldfinch or any birds at this feeder. I was about to toss it when I decided to try one more time a few weeks ago. This morning, there were at least three! Wow! delayed gratification.

They do have a golden yellow neck/belly, it's not just the reflection from the feeder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190122crop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	842285
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Very nice.

Goldfinches are supposed to be around in south Florida too, but I have never seen any... Bluejays are our regular visitors.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Loring,

Thanks for the post! I haven't seen Goldfinches since I was a teen. We lived in the county and Goldfinches were a common sight. When I was in Junior High, a few of my class mates and I bought a book, as an Ag shop project and would see how many bird species we could spot locally. This area is all rolling hills with many flat areas carved in the landscape by the Susquehanna and Chenango rivers. (the Chenango flows into the Susquehanna right here in Binghamton).

IIRC, there were a few varieties of Finches back then, but the Goldfinch was the easiest to spot and were often seen. We also had a great population of Redwing Blackbirds as well as many other varieties, along with Blue Jays, Cardinals, and even Humming Birds. About the only thing I've seen since moving back here are Sparrows, Pidgions, Blue Jays, Crows and that Cardinal that comes around on occasion. Of course I live in the city now.

BTW, I love the pictures you post on occasion and look forward to them,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...