X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Glad you are safe Capncarl, lucky it didn't damage your home. Mexico Beach got it, watched it on the news saw a house blown off it's foundation, hope the rebuilding of the goes well. Now people will have to deal with their insurance companies good luck with that.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

We just got home from a sad trip to Apalachicola Fl. Our first visit back to the coastal town that was hit by Michael. The art gallery there that sells my Tiny Tables and Tiny Trees had 3 feet of water in the gallery so the owner decided not to re-open in that location. We picked up my tables and trees until they re-locate. I decided not drive through Mexico Beach on the way home. I don’t know if they are allowing residents back yet and I don’t feel like I belong there.

The agricultural damage to my area is unbelievably. The pecan groves are devastated. The closest pecan grower closest to me thinks he has lost over 1000 trees. These are 25 yr old mature trees that are uprooted, laying on their side. I think there are 7 trees per acre. All of the surviving trees have their limbs broken with every surviving tree having many on the limbs on the ground under the trees, making harvesting the nuts difficult to impossible. One of the largest pecan grower in our area has over 35,000 trees in production, not all are large full grow trees, and said in a news interview that they couldn’t tell the extents of tree damage and was bringing in drones to fly over and photo the damage. There is enough pecan wood destined to be burned or carried to a landfill to fill a small state. That’s a lot of wonderful furniture building wood going to waste. I’ve been able to collect 4 firewood racks full of various size pieces of Eastern Red Cedar, Leyand Cypress, Magnolia, Chinaberry, Hackberry, Dogwoods, Pecan and some I can’t identify. I can’t store an more under my shelter until it is expanded in the next few weeks.
      capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I My wife just informed me that someone had found the black box for a storm weather station In Mexico Beach, and it showed sustainable wind speeds of 165 and gusts excess of 206 mph, putting it in the category 5 hurricane class. This was definitely not the storm you would want to sit through.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I’m anxious to see what is going to happen in the hobby sawmill business. Since Michael blew down unbelievable amounts of trees, everyone is scrambling to get rid of all kinds of great woods. These guys are probably overwhelmed with great free wood. I’ve hauled 10 16 foot trailer loads of pine debris and “shopped” every time I went to the inert landfill for unusual wood. Right now I have 4 large firewood racks piled high with red cedar, chinaberry, pecan, magnolia, Leyland Cypress, dogwood, cherry laurel, Asian elm. I have a pickup truck full of black walnut coming soon. I’ve stepped over enough oak, hickory, maple and ash to be keep a fireplace burning forever, mainly because I want the unique wood for my Tiny Trees. I’m going to add another 250 sf shed off the back of my shop to house my wood pile!

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

A bit late the party but I had 6 trees fall. None of them hit anything important, though one came within about 5' of my shop.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I have 4-5 trees that could potentially hit my house or shop in a couple of years when they grow some more. I’m going to nip that potential problem in the bud early by removing those trees now before they do some real damage. It will cost me a couple of grand now but my insurance deductible when the trees hit my house or shop is a couple of grand plus the damage and heart ache it causes. I think it will be money well spent.
              capncarl

Comment

Working...