• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

AAW question

I decided to join AAW and get the publication. However, there is so much information to wade through that I got bogged down. Certainly not simple. Reminds me of joining a computer club in Japan, you have to be an expert before you can join to learn how!

Anway - Options:

1. What is the difference between "General" and "General POP?"

2. I would like the publication, but did not see it as part of the sign up process.

3. Does the $60.00 annual membership include the printed publication? IF not, where does it show up on the membership application process?

4. I looked for but could not find what their rendition of "POP" meant.

5. I found a "local" chapter and it had a $25 membership, - I assume that this in addition to the $60.00 AAW membership. Is this correct?

6. If I were to become an AAW general member, would I be allowed to attend a local chapter meeting on occasion without additional fees? (I live at least 60+ miles from what I think is the nearest chapter.)

Sorry for all the questions, but the AAW layout was not meant for old people joining. The answers to the above questions were not readily visible to old eyes, and if so were probably hidden in plain sight.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Charlie R
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2007

https://aaw.site-ym.com/general/regi...ember_type.asp
    online membership is $50 (link above to prices)

http://www.woodturner.org/?page=FAQs info on subscription below

Does my membership start on the anniversary date or is it annual? - AAW membership now operates on an anniversary cycle. Your membership will start with your join date and continue for one year. You will receive six issues of the American Woodturner journal, starting with the issue published after your join/renew date. It is published every other month and - depending on your join/renew date - your first issue will be received in 1-7 weeks. All membership benefits will be in effect for one year.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Hank,
      POP = Professional Outreach Program. Found it here: http://www.woodturner.org/?page=MemberBenefits
      Look at the bottom of the PDF document. The link there takes you to the following:
      http://www.woodturner.org/?page=POPLand

Comment: Not sure why they made it this difficult to find...
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Thanks fellows. There sure is a lot of information that could use some better organizing. But I figured out what I think is correct. It never says that a printed hard copy comes with any specific membership, but it does say that the "$50.00" is digital copy only. I assume that the "$60" includes hard/printed copy.

Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I thought you were talking about Alcoholics Anonymous? Couldn't figure out what the W was though.

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Most local chapters welcome guests. A quick email to the chapter should give you a more definitive answer for a specific chapter.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by gerti
              Most local chapters welcome guests. A quick email to the chapter should give you a more definitive answer for a specific chapter.
              I did that this afternoon and got an immediate answer. I am mid-way between two chapters, one 65 miles and the other 70 miles. The 70 mile is closer time wise - straight road, maybe 3 or 4 stop lights in two rural towns; The closer one mile-wise is on the far side of Memphis and much heavier traffic.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                I thought you were talking about Alcoholics Anonymous? Couldn't figure out what the W was though.
                Alcoholics Anonymous Woodworkers. Know when your too drunk to operate power tools!
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Originally posted by leehljp
                  Thanks fellows. There sure is a lot of information that could use some better organizing.
                  Looks like you're the man for the job! Save some time for us though!

Comment

Working...