• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

One way to choke a DC

Should have taken a picture, but didn't. Working on a new bowl, largest for me so far at over 12" diameter, I had a great pile of shavings on the floor, and decided to "vac" them up with my DC hose. Worked great, DC has plenty of power to pick up the shavings, even when I shove it into a deep pile. Then no more airflow - what's going on? I'm thinking, "Dang - I've clogged the duct somewhere." Don't find any issues in the line. Then I checked the separator.

Yep - shavings came in so fast that they couldn't get past the Thien baffle quick enough, backed up on top of the baffle and then into the intake elbow. Once I cleared the baffle and intake - back in business!

So in my setup, I have 4in intake and exhaust on the baffle. However, the "drop-slot" cutout on the baffle is still sized to Phil's original spec of 1.125 inches. I'm wondering if I should bump that up to 2 inches, and what effect that might have on separation.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Bill
    What I found when I increased the size of the drop slot was the material in the trash bin below the Thein started to spin with the turbulence and a lot of "reflux" would be picked up and eventually wind up in the filter. (My Thein is constructed with lexan sides so I can see what is going on inside it and with a bright light I could see into the trash bin.)
    capncarl

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thanks for the feedback Cap. That is what I was concerned about. I should likely leave it alone then, and just be less aggressive about the volume and speed at which I vac up shavings in the future.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...