X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

use for plywood scraps

So I'm making something that involves 1/2" maple plywood and I accidentally cut one of the pieces 1.5" too short. Now I have 8 pieces that are 10x11.5 instead of 11.5x11.5. I have no clue what to do with them. I also have about 1/2 of a sheet of the same ply left over. It's too nice to throw out, but not really thick enough to make a shop cabinet out of. 1/2" ply for jigs....maybe, but doubtful.

What would you use it for? I need more clamp racks ans storage as we all do. I guess I could glue it up to make 1" ply for stuff around the shop. Outside of lesser woodworking skills, lack of imagination is my biggest challenge. I can build from a plan, but I can't design anything to save my life, even as simple as a push stick handle.

No ideas are considered too crazy.....just limited by ability.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Magazine files

Collector's Magazine File, Woodworking Plans, Gifts & Decorations, Office Accessories, Boxes & Baskets, WOOD Issue 193, October 2009, 2009, Office, Intermediate

Struggling to create order in the chaos of a full house? These 18 space-smart DIY furnishings and home accents will help you manage your humble home in an...
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

1/2 inch ply is great for drawers. I could use some right now. 1/2 is pretty strong, I have used 1/2 Baltic birch several times for jigs. I would use lesser plywood too but would be more careful about the application. Even 5mm luan is useful. I use it for drawer bottoms in small doors and center panel for flat doors. I have a bit of that.

I'm actually planning to use shelving drawers for my shop drawers but 1/2 plywood would be better from several standpoints. I just like working with the softwood better.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

I have a stack of 3/4" x 10 x 10" MDF off-cuts that I leave on my drill press table.

It's easier to add/remove them than unlock, crank up/down to adjust height for drilling.

When the top one gets too full of holes, oil or chips I throw it in the trash and make another one.
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I really like David Picciuto's band saw boxes that use laminated layers of plywood. If it's decent plywood without voids, might be a good use for them.

I've made a few of his designs and they turn out really well. Tons of sanding the edge, but it's a cool look.

I'm going to attempt to do something similar on some bowls if I ever get a chuck.
          Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

about the right size for one of those sandpaper cutters - but I guess you don't need 8 of them!
            I guess its always a good idea to test fit one before cutting a whole batch! No that I always do. Anyone need 8 18" 2x2s that are too short for their original purpose?

sandpaper cutter:
            I built a (probably) over-designed sandpaper cutter. Saw one somewhere that used a hacksaw blade as the cutter. Routed some T-slots for the guide - new to me, was easy with a Woodline 1291-5 bit which is .468" wide and just the right size for a 7/16 hex head on a 1/4-20 bolt. The cutting height was .150 so i had to lower
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

1/2 ply is plenty thick enough for some jigs and certainly the right thickness for drawers. I know I have scraps of all thicknesses lying around my shop and garage. I cant bring myself to throw it away until its to small or ding up to be deemed totally useless.

Off the top of my head here are a few jigs and shop helpers you could make with 1/2 ply.

Saw angle gauges
              Corner radius templates
              Small Hand plane tray
              Miter key sled
              Base or cases for sharpening stones
              Bench hooks
              ZCTPs for table saw or miter saw
              sacrificial faces for miter gauge or coping sled
              a coping sled
              Stain/finish sample boards

Come to think of it I should make some of these as well :-)
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...