• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Surprising Craigslist sale.

I recently posted an old Gravely garden tractor for sale on Craigslist. Before I posted the sale I spent numerous hours online researching every aspect of selling and avoiding scams that I could find. This research was due to the extremely bad experiences that I have had in the past with craiglist scams. That sale was a for a ghenoe, outboard motor and trailer that I had restored to better than new condition and was trying to sell for $2000. I received about a dozen offers and inquires and every one turned out to be a scam! This recent post had 3 inquires within the first 30 minutes, I thought, oh boy, here we go again. I quickly researched the inquirers email, name and phone number and could not come up with anything that said scam so I gave him a call. The potential buyer sounded sincere and wanted to come pick it up the next day at 1pm, he was going to rent a trailer on the way, he lives 120 miles away. In the meantime I had several other inquires. At 12:30 he called and I drove to our meeting place and led him to my house. He was unable to find a rental trailer so he went to Lowes and bought one on the way. That's what I call a motivated buyer! I cranked the tractor, he walked around it once and handed me an envelope full of cash, no negoations, what I asked, we loaded the tractor and he headed home happy! Now that's the way a craigslist transaction should be. I have several other items I want to sell, maybe they will go equally as well.
    capncarl
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Yeah I have been leary of Craigslist for exactly the reasons you cite ... BUT ... the two items I have put up on CL both sold within a day of posting, for the asking price and with no problems whatsoever.

I do think that the several police departments around that are now offering their parking lot as a "safe meeting place" is a really good idea and would like to see more of that. I realize that many items one would want to buy/sell do not lend themselves to meeting at some place other than where the item is but for any that large/difficult to move I would think the likelihood of a scam less than jewelry, clothes, tools etc.
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yeah, I think that definitely counts as being motivated! Don't you have to license a trailer, though?

I guess I've been lucky with CL and probably the most expensive thing I sold on CL was less than $300. Biggest problem for me are the ones who show interest but then you never hear from again.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

My craiglist app now has a phone verify feature that immediately calls you back to give you an authorization code. I guess that possibly makes it harder for scam sellers. The problem I've had in the past was scam buyers. I would make potential buyers go through the same phone process before they could contact a buyer! On the map provided on the craigslist app I moved the location to the Lee State Prision that is located about 8 miles from here. I wouldn't be afraid to use it as a meeting place, especially since the sherrifs office and county police dept/county jail is next door. Cameras and guard towers are everywhere.
        In Ga. I believe you have a week or two to get you tag application turned in after a sale.
        Now I have 2 front loader washer dryer pedestals for sale on Craigslist. 5 days later and 0 responses, that figures. I have outboard motors, chipper shredders amount other things I want to get rid of, hope for better response that the pedestals.
        capncarl

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I'm about to list a couple items so your experiences are interesting. The county jail is within 10 miles but there is a decent sized shopping center about 2 miles away I'll probably use as a meeting place. Would be nice to have a permit to carry but it should go fine.

In SC, we do not put tags on trailers. They aren't registered or taxed.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Jim, permit to carry or not you still need another person with you. That person can stay in the car along with your firearm. I have a conceal carry and do carry concealed during meetings like this. Keep us posted on your sale results, always something to learn from others experiences.

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I have bought and sold many things on CL and other than having ridiculous lowball offers sent to me I haven't had any problems.

Last month we decided to add another iPad to the family. I looked on CL and there were some deals that were obviously scams (brand new never opened top of the line model for $150?) But there was one that caught my eye... good deal but not ridiculous. Still, being an iPad it had my guard up.. I doubt there are a ton of "power tool scammers" out there, but iPads, you betcha.

We ended up meeting the guy at a Target and all went well, and the iPad works great.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                Jim, permit to carry or not you still need another person with you. That person can stay in the car along with your firearm. I have a conceal carry and do carry concealed during meetings like this. Keep us posted on your sale results, always something to learn from others experiences.

I'm going to stop complaining to my wife when someone on CL flakes out on getting back to me. At least I don't have to bring a gun to the deal!

Originally posted by tfischer
                We ended up meeting the guy at a Target and all went well, and the iPad works great.

Do you do a clean wipe on it? My biggest fear would be that they've installed something that would be transmitting my personal data back to them.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

After a very successful first craigslist sale I posted a pair of laundry pedestals for $200. After about a week of nothingness I received 2 replys, 1 of which is possibly legit, # 2 smells of scam. Her note says....
                  Thank you for getting back to me, My name is Sara Mark (a deaf
                  mother). I saw your listed item on Craiglist and i will like to
                  purchase it. I want you to know am buying this item as a gift for my
                  son and I want to keep it as a surprise to him until it delivers. I
                  will not be able to view it but I have a Mover who will come for the
                  pickup once payment is made and CLEARED. so please get back to me with
                  some recent pictures and also I will be making the payment via Bank
                  certified check as that is the only payment option I can access from
                  here I hope you understand. I have some questions;
                  Where do you live?
                  Why are you selling it?
                  what is your rock bottom dollar?
                  Are you the only or first owner of the item?
                  Does it have any negative i should know about?
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  provide your
                  Name: ,
                  Address:,
                  City:
                  State:
                  Postal Code:,
                  Lowest Price:
                  cell # (that i can text):
                  so that i can mail the check tomorrow or the day after tomorrow and
                  get back to you with the tracking #

Regards

I replied.....
                  Hello Sara
                  The answers to your questions are described in my ad to sell the baby car seat. The price is posted at $200, which is $300 below retail. I will meet any prospective buyer at 153 Pinewood Road, Leesburg Ga. 31763. This location has a nice clean well lit parking lot with cameras. You should feel right at home here! There is an ATM machine in the office lobby since I will accept only cash.
                  Please google the address and see if the location is acceptable with you.
                  Thanks

I hopes "she" actually does google the address search, it's the state prison. Craigslist has made a lot of changes that are intended to cut down on fraudulent sellers but has made no attempt to reduce fraudulent buyers! I hope anyone on this site using craigslist is vigilant in screening potential buyers.

Atcgpaul, I feel a lot safer carrying my firearm concealed and carry it most everywhere I go. The general population here is just another branch of the family tree that likes to riot, steal and terrorize others. I hope I never have to use it.

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

It's probably an automated response. One thing I've seen people do is to ask a question in their ad. Like please reply with your favorite color. By no means fool proof but at least cuts down on the auto response.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

It's not an automated response, it's a real live scammer! Sara said that she has not received my address so she could send the payment for my "item" . I responded quickly by going to google and opening an English to Vietnamese translator and typing a nice response in Vietnamese. I am so sorry that she is a deaf mother that I will send her this item for free. To protect the item during shipping I will fill the box with fresh poop for their dining enjoyment and I hope she gets her hearing back soon. Please send me your name, address and zip code and I'll get it in the mail today! It looked good, I didn't understand a word of it, maybe she can. Maybe this is the last I'll hear from her.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

These scammers just don't get it. After the insulting letter that I sent to the scammer written in vietnamise I just receive a letter thanking me for being such a faithful person, assuring me that the payment would be sent as soon as she receives my address, and the mover will be there to pick up the item. Evidently she didn't read my letter, and she still doesn't know what the item I am sellin!
                        I sent he the name, address and zip code of our county sheriff, and a note saying the sherif would contact me when he received her counterfeit check and I would sign papers charging her for bank fraud. I guess she will have to read it to cut the check and send it fed ex.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

The scammer must have given up, someone else that wanted the laundry pedestals popped up and bought them out from under her!
                          I deleted that gmail account and closed that craigslist account and started over for the sale of my Mini Big Green Egg. It's a clean start with a fresh email name with lots of numbers and letters and a new craigslist handle with numbers and letters.... And for some unexplained reason the stupid craigslist post and reply email picked up my daily att email. What is going on??? What happened to the new address that I used? I bet it is something to do with the iPad. That has got to go. I don't want scammers being able to pick up on that.
                          capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

More scammers.
                            This time it is for a Mickey Mouse rug wall hanging my wife made 30 yrs ago that I posted for her. I thought the customer was real until their 2nd response.
                            Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. Am very sorry for getting
                            back to you so late actually I'm not in town for now, I came to visit
                            my son who was rushed to the hospital so i wont be able to meet with
                            you but am ok with the condition as seen on the advert, I'll proceed
                            in issuing a Cashier Check or Money Order out to you and when you
                            received the check , I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon
                            as the check clear and you have your money in hand. So get back to me
                            with below details asap.

Name:
                            Address:
                            City:
                            State:
                            Postal Code:
                            Phone Number:
                            Last Asking Price:

The payment will delivered within 24hours I really need this item and
                            i will appreciates you if you can help me to save item till the
                            payment arrives I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as
                            you have the check cashed in hand, So please send me an email only
                            Regards Thanks

My reply

Robert
                            Sorry to hear about your son. Hope he gets well soon. I work at the hospital on the evening shifts every day, Friday until Friday. I will look up your son and have it in his room for you to see. Please bring cash.

Sara Linwad

My wife said to be nice because it could be a real person, yea right, a real person in another continent making a living off gullible Americans.

capncarl
                            Last edited by capncarl; 04-10-2016, 07:44 AM. Reason: Political

Comment

Working...