• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I believe this would be a great addition to the shop. I have no need for a jointer that wide but it would eliminate 2 tool footprints in the shop with 1. The spiral carbide cutter set up would be well worth the extra money!
    capncarl

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

If you're no longer in a hurry I would keep an eye out on craigslist. I've seen some pretty good deals on Hammer and Laguna combo units.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
        corollary : sometimes you get good offers from your existing cards (in form of blank checks).

Be careful - often those checks are cash advances - so there are hefty fees to use them
        c. double check - many such offers have a 'minimum monthly payment' even if they don't say so clearly - ie, the fine print will. But they'll hit you with penalties if you miss it.
        +1 on that - almost got hit with a fee on a DTD card, for just this reason. Have to make a minimum payment each month to avoid the penalty.

e. finally - don't cancel the card at the end. keep it away - an unused card adds to your credit worthiness (because your total credit limit is higher), makes you eligible for more such offers, whereas a cancelled card actually reduces your credit rating.
        It can help or hurt - when applying for other credit, the finance company will rate you as if you have maxed out all your cards. If you have "too many" cards, they may decline to extend credit. Too many cards also reduces credit score - but so does closing or opening a card, as well as simply applying for a card (credit inquiry).
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Paul, if you fancy Thanksgiving in sunny Phoenix you could take a look at this Jet Combo. At this price its tempting but I think LOML would kill me (or worse) if I cam home with it.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by poolhound
            Paul, if you fancy Thanksgiving in sunny Phoenix you could take a look at this Jet Combo. At this price its tempting but I think LOML would kill me (or worse) if I cam home with it.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/5315121169.html
            Holy cow! I never get deals like that around here! I've been using searchtempest.com to try to find some kind of CL deal out to a 200 mile radius and come up with nothing.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am going to use my existing CC and then pay it off at once. I just got Woodcraft's Black Friday ad and they are giving a 15% off Jet tools. I've got to see how this will work out. We are doing Thanksgiving in Delaware (on Friday) then driving up to PA on Saturday. I could stop in the WC in Wilmington on the way up, buy the Jet JJP-12 which is supposed to have free shipping, get the 15% off, and not pay sales tax, and have it ship to MD. Not sure if it's only for in-stock items, though. I guess I could have it delivered to my Dad's house in DE, and then use his trailer to bring it to my house but that means we have to get it up and down his trailer. Decisions, decisions

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

At that price I'd bet that the Craigslist jet is a scam. Wayyyyy to many scams on Craigslist to trust it for anything other than local purchases you can put your own eyes on. If poolhound could verify it though, what a buy!

A work buddy showed me a picture of my boat that I had for sale on Craigslist that was being advertised by a scammer on another craigslist site. It was probably my boat he was trying to scam from me and using it for scam bait somewhere else. It happens all too often.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                At that price I'd bet that the Craigslist jet is a scam. Wayyyyy to many scams on Craigslist to trust it for anything other than local purchases you can put your own eyes on. If poolhound could verify it though, what a buy!

A work buddy showed me a picture of my boat that I had for sale on Craigslist that was being advertised by a scammer on another craigslist site. It was probably my boat he was trying to scam from me and using it for scam bait somewhere else. It happens all too often.
                How would that work? Someone wants to buy the boat/planer and the seller says there's a line of people wanting it, pay me some money to hold it for you?

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Kinda hate that I mentioned Craigslist scams since it has derailed lots of other threads on other sites, we probably need to just start another thread for Craigslist scams. The Internet has enough on this subject to keep a person buisy for weeks just reading the different sites! In this Jet case the seller would probably shun local callers that want to look at the item saying it was already sold and try to prey on out of town buyers, specifically ones that request shipping. Like you said, an out of town buyer quickly sends $$ knowing that this is a great deal and never gets the item. If the buyer is careless enough to pay by pay pal then the seller can hack into his account and clean it out. Lots of ways this scam can work, none turn out pretty for the mark. I've worked with several people that have been scammed on CL and eBay for many thousands each. One time after a friend was scammed we started looking on ever CL site and found the same item/scam going on all over the country. Not much or any help from the law in these cases.

Comment

Working...