• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Anyone use "progressive lens" glasses?

Got'em, like them in general but not for woodworking!

I have been using trifocals since the fall of 1992. Before that, Bifocals back to the early 80's. In early 1992, I tried progressive lens, but couldn't handle them while playing sports. I move my eyes far more than I move my head, and with progressive lens there is a huge blind spot to the sides.

LOML loves then and has used them for years.

I got mine earlier this week. I loved them driving home (40 miles). Straight ahead, they are/were fine. But the next day, I got nauseated with the distortions for any sight not straight ahead. I told myself to push through. They make computer and reading more difficult if the head is not aimed correctly. Progressives require head movement more than eye movement. But I pushed on and have worn them 4 full days and adapted OK. Today, I had some time to work on the bunk beds I am building.

Woodworking and progressive lens:
    Progressives require different perspectives in woodworking - for me. I did a wide dado down the center of 8 - 37" long 2x4 boards a couple of weeks ago. Today was sanding day, in preparation for sealing. Suddenly, the dado on the first board seemed to be visually off center about 1/32 inch. I started to get my rule and measure, and then thought to turn the board around. I did, suddenly the larger size shifted. When laid out before me on a table from right to left, the upper side seemed wider than the close to me side. By turning the board around, the formerly wide looking side was now narrower looking.

With quite a few other 37 in boards that will be used for the head board and foot board, they seemed curved ever so slightly - due to the distortion of the progressive lens.

Anyone else have this problem. or notice distortions due to glasses of special contacts?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I have progressives, and had a hard time getting used to them. It doesn't help that every brand has quite varying characteristics. I have not noticed distortions though with my current glasses. As with all progressives after a change it takes about a week (for me at least) until I do not have to "hunt" the focus anymore and muscle memory sets in.

The progressives work well for most day-to-day stuff for me, including using the laptop while watching (well, mostly ignoring) the TV.

However for my workstation (3 large screens next to each other) they are useless. I'd have to both raise my head and move my head left to right constantly, and that is just not feasible: stiff neck within minutes. So I had the ophthalmologist create a prescription for me for "computer glasses", these are single focus glasses that are at their best at about arms length (average distance of my screens from my eyes). These work fabulous for me, much much better than regular glasses or progressives.

I do suspect that your optometrist did not measure your eyes correctly (maybe how wide they are apart, or how they relate to the frames etc), or maybe your specific eyes are just incompatible with the specific grind used (switching lens brands may help there). In any case I don't think you should be experiencing distortions. Areas of "out of focus'ness" yes, but not distortions.

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I was thinking along the same lines as gerti posted - incorrect optical centers in the lenses. Years ago when I my prescription changed to include astigmatism effects the lens makers messed up the "center" of my sunglasses lenses. The regular glasses they made worked great but when I switched to the sunglasses everything took on a warped/Picasso look. Staircases treads weren't parallel to the ground... curbs alongside the road warped inwards, etc. I went right back to the folks that made the glasses. They stuck the lenses in a microscope-like machine to measure the centers and found they'd incorrectly ground the lenses. Less than an hour later I had lenses that matched my eye-to-eye spacing and straight lines were straight again.

Another option - if the lenses are correct - is to consider another pair of glasses designed for a working range of 1 foot to about 8-10 feet instead of trying to cover several feet to infinity as most glasses/lenses are designed to handle. That would put the "woodworking distance" portion of the glasses closer to straight-ahead (center of lenses) for your eyes instead of downwards.

mpc
      Last edited by mpc; 10-11-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I sure am glad that I posted this. I am going back and have them check these out. As Gerti said, for general use, they are great. But from what I read from both of you - I apparently have a combination of problems - the out of focus part (which is a part of progressive at certain points) and the warped look. If I look at my laptop screen dead ahead, it is OK. I cannot read text totally from one side to the other without it getting out of focus on the edges (or moving my head back and forth to make up for it), but when I my head to read from side to side on the screen, the screen warps into a parallelogram with the acute angle on the upper side that I am looking at. Looks like a motion picture of warping.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The lady at the lens department did suggest that I get my older glasses' lens changed into a "reading and computer" specific lens. That would be OK for computers and reading, but terrible for large wood working projects where viewing the whole is as important as viewing minute' details.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have had progressives for 10 years now and have noticed that I uninstintively remove my glasses for everything but reading and close up work. The upper section of my glasses have no correction. Some time ago I was on a road trip and I had forgotten my prescription glasses so I purchased a pair of drug store reading glasses just for reading. I still like these cheap glasses for reading and working in the shop and will probably buy a 5 pack of them for $29 so I won't have to look everywhere for them.
          capncarl

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Nausea is usually caused by too much of a change in the prescription. The last time I saw a big chance I had to slowly get adjusted to the them. A whole day made me feel seasick.

My 2 cents on progressive lenses is a normal pair of glasses and buy a cheap pair for magnification. I know 2 people who do this because they can't stand them. I think I will do the same when it comes down to it since I greatly value my peripheral vision and they seem to impact it a bit.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Hank, I'm another that couldn't adjust. Had to stick with straight bifocals over the progressives. I was told by my optometrist that the way they have to grind the lens to progressively shift from my distance prescription to my reading prescription caused the issues with anything but looking straight ahead. So I also got one each of a single vision distance and single vision reading, for when I was doing more of either. I use the bifocals around the house or whenever caring an extra pair is inconvenient.
              Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 10-11-2015, 04:00 PM.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I use Viralux which I think is the same as progressive. My BIL is my Eye Doc so I get a good deal on my glasses which are covered by VIP insurance I have some trouble with them but I am going Tuesday to get new ones and I will talk to to hime about my issues. While renewing my DL this week I had to take the written test (100%) but when she told me to read line 1 chart A with my left eye I couldn't see it clearly even with glasses. could do it pretty with the right either and OK with both so there is something going and has been for awhile. Wife thinks it Cataracs as I am 73 and complain about dirt glasses and have problem reading street signs an other small signs from a distance. I have notice I am compensating when I drive and get uncomfortable in heavy traffic as I don't trust my vision. Reflexes are fine. So Tuesday we will see whats up.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I have had progressives for a couple years now. I read better with no glasses but got to the point that I was removing my glasses all the time to read and decided it was time. They bothered me a little at first but I didn't see distorted images. That seems like a problem with the lenses, not with progressives in general. I have needed glasses for distance forever. I am overdue to get my eyes checked now. My next set will probably be progressives again.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I've never tried them.

Three decades ago I was prescribed bifocals. They gave me all sorts of problems: headaches, nausea, and even a sore neck as I would crook my neck upwardw at the drawing board to see through the bottom of the lens when I was drawing. I think I kept them about six months and then put them aside and just got a separate pair prescribed for drawing.

Working on the drawing board eight to twelve hours a day just doesn't work with any kind of lens variance. Likewise, I had a problem with solar graying lens... they just posed problems.

So, I had a couple of pairs of glasses for working on the drawing board and another couple of pairs for driving, walking, etc. (I've always kept 'backups".) Today, I have glasses for distance (driving, outdoors, etc.), a separate pair for here in the shop or on the computer, and a third pair for reading and closeup work. Sort of a pain, actually, as I'm always switching from one pair to another and whether down to the shop, across town or traveling, it's always two sets of glasses for each.... that's like wearing one and carrying five more pair in the car, just in case (a backup for each of three).

But that's life! Funny part about it all is that I'm nearsighted in my right eye and farsighted in my left. For about thirty years that worked out great and though I wore glasses to correct the nearsightedness, I could get along pretty well without glasses as one eye or the other would suit the task. But as one gets older, the eyes need some help.,

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JSUPreston
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Montgomery, AL.
                      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I got bifocals a couple of years ago at age 39. My optometrist (also a family friend and member of the same church) told me that I didn't absolutely need to get them at the time, but I was right on the threshold and would need to get them within a year. So, I got them. I tried the progressives at first and just could not adjust to them. The final straw for me was when I was in an auditorium in the dark. I couldn't focus very well, got very dizzy and nauseous. I nearly fell down the stairs.

I went back to the optometrist and was re-examined. There was a slight difference in the examinations, but not enough to prove that the prescription was off. He then told me about his personal experiences with progressives and that he had similar problems. Since I was in my return window, I opted for the traditional bifocals, which I adapted to much easier. I do find the line distracting at times, but otherwise have been happy with them. Honestly, I tried the progressives out of vanity...I don't know too many folks in their early 40's with bifocals.
                      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Went to my BIL who is my Eye Doc failed the test again. Have to have Cataract Surgery so then I won't need glasses except to read. will go back to him surgery and have new reading and sunglasses made. Can't wait ready has become almost impossible so is driving. Another thing about getting older can't see, can't hear, can't pee. could go with the can't stuff you older gentlemen know what I mean and younger men get ready for the adventure.

Tom

Tom

Comment

• jon_ramp
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • western Chicago burb
                          • Craftsman 21829

First I was using readers, then I got progressive lenses 2 years ago. I don't like them am going to get bifocals on the next set.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

I finished two weeks this past Tuesday. I may go back next week and change back. It depends on how my woodworking goes this weekend.

ON the way home yesterday for my 35 mile drive, I put my old trifocals back on. WOW, I didn't realize how big those lines were. Made me seriously re-think. I love progressives while driving but hate them when woodworking and even last night watching the living room TV (15 ft away, 46/48? inch screen) it was difficult to focus from the recliner.

Love it while driving! Otherwise, I think I will stay with trifocals.

The doc didn't recommend using both.
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

I want to thank EVERYONE who responded to this post. It has helped me tremendously. I wondered if it was "me" or what. Almost all of the elderly people around me have progressive lens or single focus lens and then reading glasses. I see very few bi-focal/tri-focal lens wearing people today.

Where we woodworkers are unique (as are mechanics and maybe designers/architects) - is that we are constantly in a visual transition mode. We don't make up the majority of people who need distance and close up vision. Most people with both needs, in my observation, basically require "straight ahead" sight. Progressive lens do this. Mechanics, woodworkers, designers and architects all have the need for close detail and distance constantly and spacial side to side vision. For me, it was the need to see joints and spaces in joints while my head was tilted or contorted in one form or another.

Last week, LOML dropped one of her diabetic pills and it rolled under our "sleigh" bed. With about 3 inches clearance, I had to put my head to the floor and tilt it. Progressive lens don't allow good focus in that kind of situation. This is the same for mechanics, woodworkers and some others.

I never saw it from this perspective. Progressive lens are not for everyone. I am one. I will be taking mine back for "tri-focals" this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thanks again for your input.
                              Last edited by leehljp; 10-22-2015, 09:16 AM.
                              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...