• Show
Clear All
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

Been a While

Fired up the old saw a couple of hours ago to built a "busy wall" for my first grandson. I'll give Rayobi credit, the saw has sat for a couple of years unused, so I dusted it off, set the miter and, with a bit of trepidation, flipped the switch. Impressive! Everything is as I left it a few years ago, no wobbles, no weezes. I just knew that I was going to be cleaning and reinstalling shims, tightening belts, etc. In twenty minutes I had all the cuts made, clean and no stalling or burns. Rats! Though I was going to treat myself to a Unisaw.

Gotta love the that saw, its treated me better than I've treated it.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Good to see you back.

What is a busy wall?

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

It's a piece of plywood with every kind of hardware you can think of, door knobs, latches, little doors that the kid can open to reveal a picture or message, a wee chalk board, the alphabet, just anything that'll keep an 8 month old entertained. It's mounted on the wall low enough that he can reach most of the stuff on his knees and other hardware a bit higher to encourage him to stand and play. My daughter decided on the hardware, I mounted it as instructed. It is to be unveiled for the kid at some sort of play date with a bunch of other rug rats.

It's finished nicely and will hold up until he tires of it. Then comes the rocking horse. I'm scanning plans and forming the idea in my head for now. It will be something, solid and very basic, built to take the beating that only a growing boy can deliver.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Welcome back Warren. Good to read about the "busy wall". My youngest daughter and son in law do things like that for their kids (ages 7, 5, 3, 1). I just didn't know what you called it.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

I have been dvised by my daughter that the correct name is "busy board." I just "Googled" the term and the web is full of interesting variants. I believe such will really get a tots mind going as well as be a diversion.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

When my youngest was small, he was fascinated by electricity. So, I made him an "electricity box". I got a plastic project box from Radio Shack [RIP], about the size of a textbook. I wired up push buttons and other switches, that controlled buzzers, lights, a bell,etc.
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

An "electricity box" might be a good next project in a couple of months.

edit: Daughter says maybe when he's five. I'm the Granddad, I make those decisions!
              Last edited by Warren; 07-25-2015, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

good idea, got me thinking...

Whats a good source for random interesting hardware that's not paying Lowe's prices for stuff?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Warren
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Anchorage, Ak
                  • BT3000

Loring, it's amazing what's was stashed in various places around my shop, an old hasp, hinges still in plastic, a couple of sliding door bolts, paint, plywood, etc. Ariel, my daughter picked up a couple of specific things she wanted a Lowe's. The entire project probably didn't run to $14.00 worth of new stuff. Nothing on the board needs to makes sense to an adult, the kid is just interested in shiny, moving or noise. The spring door stops seem to be his favorite today. Tomorrow? Who knows.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    good idea, got me thinking...

Whats a good source for random interesting hardware that's not paying Lowe's prices for stuff?
                    Do you have a Habitat Restore around? There's always tons of random hardware bits there. Not sure about the price, though. Sometimes they can be a real steal and others not so much.

Comment

Working...