• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Remote controlled finger?

I have a piece of equipment at work that sometimes needs human intervention. There is one operation that MUST be done with a physical push of a button. I can't remote into the computer and actuate the button through software. It's not as bad as Homer Simpson using a drinking bird to push a button over and over again, but you get the idea--something needs to physically push the button.

Do you know if there is an off-the-shelf remote controlled "finger"? I'm going to approach my boss (who's an EE) and my coworker (who's our machinist/MechE) about designing a remote controlled finger for me if there isn't.

I was thinking about combining a solenoid like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Force-F...=solenoid+lock

With a WiFi enabled outlet like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/BH1810-schedul...enabled+switch

I suppose we'd have to explore security as well so some foreign or domestic terrorist couldn't remotely activate that button, too.

I could also have it driven through the host PCs USB ports since I can remote into the PC.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 07-21-2015, 08:18 AM.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Is that for the middle or index finger? The middle finger on my left hand seem to operate remotely

Tom

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by TB Roye
      Is that for the middle or index finger? The middle finger on my left hand seem to operate remotely

Tom
      I Googled "remote controlled finger" and saw a hit for a remote controlled middle finger, but my work network prevents me from visiting the site.

It could even be a finger nub, just needs to be remote controlled somehow.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Without knowing the application I'm concerned about safety implications here. Usually things that require a physical button push do it so that an operator is present and can assess current conditions first - such as resetting a GFCI outlet (wouldn't want to do it if the connected equipment was underwater, for example) or resetting a tripped safety sensor (is someone entangled in the equipment?)

That said, if you're sure the application is safe, it would be far easier to hack the button electrically and "push" it with a remote-controlled relay than to physically press it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by tfischer
          Without knowing the application I'm concerned about safety implications here. Usually things that require a physical button push do it so that an operator is present and can assess current conditions first....
          That said, if you're sure the application is safe, it would be far easier to hack the button electrically and "push" it with a remote-controlled relay than to physically press it.
          Yes, safety is a very valid concern and I'm sure that is why the primary button is operated this way. Once the button is pushed, that permits the robot inside to do its thing. Although I've never been hit by it, I've seen what it can do if it hits something in the way and it's pretty dramatic. I am the only user who can remote control the thing and I have cameras inside and out to ensure noone is inside.

My boss thinks he could hook up something like this relay which we would put on our VLAN to block access from outside:

http://www.controlbyweb.com/x301/

When it's not being used, we'd physically slide the device out of the way.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Use pneumatic.
            Hydraulic clutches and brakes on a motorcycle would be another source of materials. Simply squeezing a handle activates a small cylinder for brakes and clutches. Also,I actually saw one for a bicycle, didn't know they existed or the mfg., used poly tubing and activated a small disk,brake.

Comment

• rcp612
              Established Member
              • May 2005
              • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
              • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by TB Roye

Tom
              Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Condoman44
                Established Member
                • Nov 2013
                • CT near Norwich
                • Ryobi BT3000

How about something like this?

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  I am the only user who can remote control the thing and I have cameras inside and out to ensure noone is inside.
                  Do you have a way around the OSHA restrictions that require a person to physically check before activating the robot?

Sadly there have been a few deaths around here when people relied on cameras to confirm no one was there - and the person was out of view of the cameras. It's essentially impossible to have enough cameras to be sure.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, and it seems like a really bad idea.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...