• Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Help with Widows 8.1

I know there are several members here who are very comfortable with Windows OS so I am hoping someone can help me.

In the past couple of week for some unknown reason, i get the following message during the start up (during C:\window\system 32\cmd.exe)

The message is:
    [Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86) Search extension\Client.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.].

I simply click [OK] and the message goes away and I get to use the laptop with no problem. Not sure if this is related or not but today I noticed that I cannot get to 'My Pictures' or 'My Music' directory via File Explorer (I can still see and use the content using the appropriate App!)

I am running Windows 8.1 on a Dell XPS11 Duo (Ultrabook / Tablet)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

That message is often associated with "RocketTab" adware. Any chance that junk got onto your system recently? Take a look at one example

If you are familiar with the Task Scheduler, open that up and look for any "RocketTab" entries.

mpc
    Last edited by mpc; 06-03-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Turaj
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • BT3000 (1998)

mpc,

Not sure how those got into my system but you were right on the money! I had 'RocketTab' and 'RocketTab Update'. Removed them both and no more error message. Many thanks! (wonder why I could not get to that example when I searched?)

Thanks again
      Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Turaj,

Sorry about my slow reply, but MPC is right, RocketTab malware.

Do you have an anti virus / anti malware program on your laptop? If not, you desperately need one. At the absolute minimum, you need Microsoft Security Essentials. The AntiVirus / Anti Malware I have had the best luck with sadly isn't commonly available to end user consumers, and that is Symantec Endpoint Protection (An Enterprise class AV / AM solution). On friends / families computers that need AV / AM solutions, I have typically gone with either Avast! or AVG Anti Virus. Anti Malware solutions as they are very effective, and aren't priced at a Kings Ransom.

I would definately install / update Windows Security Essentials, run a full scan and clean operation, and then maybe go back with Avast! and do the same.

Honestly, once you are infected, unless you can create a bootable anti malware CD / DVD / Flash drive image on another machine, I wouldn't trust the compromised OS load and would be VERY prone to wanting to reload it...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • BT3000 (1998)

No problem and certainly no slow replies (it is not even 24 hours yet).

I do have McAffee Internet security on my laptop and it has caught different viruses but obviously not this one. Can I operate Microsoft Security Essentials along with McAffee or they are basically do the same job?

BTW - I just checked and I still get 'Location is not available' on some of my folders. I guess the problems were not related.

Thanks for all the help
          Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

We are pretty much off the Windows world with out Apple Tablets, phone and my iMac. The only hold is my wife and here Windows Box. Earlier this she had all kinds of problem with it. It was loaded with Malware and other nasties. she did tell me system mechanic and McAfee had both expired. I carefully backed up her pictures and her Favorites and then went through the Dell procedure to restore her hard drive. The had reinstall some software and her pictures and favorites. She doesn't delete anything had to go through 8oo unopened Emails and other junk to clean up stuff. Got System Mechanic and McAfee going again and so far the happy point and clicker hasn't complained she has a bad habit of letting all these search engines take over and then wonder why everything slows down. She won't let me get her a Mac which doesn't seem to have near the issues Windows does as far as garbage getting loaded. Drives me crazy. i still my Window box but very rarely use it The are a few things I have that work better with it, one is my Garmin GPS updates seem to work better with it than the Mac. Some day I will get rid of it just to laze to go through the files and wipe the hard drive.

Tom

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Turaj
              No problem and certainly no slow replies (it is not even 24 hours yet).

I do have McAffee Internet security on my laptop and it has caught different viruses but obviously not this one. Can I operate Microsoft Security Essentials along with McAffee or they are basically do the same job?

BTW - I just checked and I still get 'Location is not available' on some of my folders. I guess the problems were not related.

Thanks for all the help
              I am not certain if McAffee plays nice with Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't used McAfee since 1997.

If you can download the AVG bootable image to another machine and burn it, then boot this one to it, give it a full scan and see what you are coming up with.

Are any of those folders you are getting location not found errors on a network somewhere?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • BT3000 (1998)

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Although I have a home network, those folders are my own PC. There are only three of them (My Pictures, My Music and My Videos) and they are under 'Documents'!
                Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• dangre
                  Norum Fewbie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Gardnerville, NV
                  • BT3100-1

This sounds like your Library problem. From the Gizmo's Freeware site:
                  6. Windows 7 or 8 Libraries stop working
                  The virtual folders called Libraries can be quite useful but sometimes they simply stop working. Either nothing happens when you try to open a library or you get an error message. Here’s the fix:
                  1. Open Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 8) and delete the library that is not working. Deleting a library does not delete the files in the library but be sure that you are deleting a library. The usual libraries are Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos.
                  2. After deleting affected libraries, right click on “Libraries” in the navigation pane, and click “Restore Default Libraries”.
                  3. For illustrations of the solution to this problem, see this link
                  Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

Working...